thatbluebox

What do you splurge on, what do you save on?

For all the skincare items out on the market, there are many price points that go from a couple of dollars to a few hundred. 

For me, my splurge item would have to be my Lancome alcohol-free toner. It smells so refreshing and feels the same when applied. I save on masks, using Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask. 

In theory, the most expensive things work the best but that's not always true. What do you all have to say?

consolvo

Re: What do you splurge on, what do you save on?

Love this topic!

For me, splurging on facial skin care is essential as I'm...errrr...not getting any younger! :smileyhappy: I can't rationalize the super pricey lines, but when it comes to eye cream, serums and BB creams I splurge!

My hairdresser helps me get great hair products for a great price, so I don't totally splurge there.

Really, the only thing I don't feel the need to splurge on is my blush. I have used the Rimmel Lasting Finish Blendable Powder Blush for several years. At around $5 you just can't beat it and it lasts me a very long time.

I did try the Josie Maran Argan Mini Color Stick since it was $14 and also because I'd never tried a cream blush, but went back to the Rimmel. The color stick is great on lips as well, so no loss. :smileyhappy:

starletta8

Great thread!

Overall, beauty is my biggest splurge item.  I'm a clearance rack/outlet shopper for shoes and clothes- and always buy the store brand for food items.

I splurge on my Shiseido skincare, nail polish.

I save by rarely buying blush or highlighters!

kalex

[ Edited ]

The only skincare item I don't spurlge on is face wash.  It's on your face for such a short time that any special ingredients just get washed down the drain right away.  As long as you're using the right kind for your skin type (creamy vs foaming) it's not worth spending extra money on.  (I should mention I have a Clarisonic.  That probably makes a difference too.)

I definitely spurgle on cosmetics!  The difference in quality is absurd.  I read great reviews recently on Revlon's new quad shadows so I bought one.   I used it once and wondered what products people were using that made it seem good in comparison.

thatbluebox

Ahh interesting! I also just started thinking facewash is something I could save on. Could you expand more on the creamy vs foaming cleansers? 

Thxx :smileyhappy:

melissabt

Hi thatbluebox,

I like to splurge on skincare as well. I used to be more of lip splurger but I figure skincare is always the best investment! Serums and moisturizers:smileyhappy:

<3 Melissa
lovelyred139

I splurge on all-over items for my face, like BB creams, SPF moisturizers, and foundations.  My skin was very sensitive growing up -- my mom took me to the Clinique counter when I asked about makeup rather than giving me pocket money for Wet n' Wild -- so I'm still a little paranoid about products that sit on my face all day.  

I'm more price conscious for color items and perfumes.  What ends up happening is that I curate a small collection of expensive lipsticks and blushes that I researched obsessively before purchase.  I also pay a lot of attention to cost per use -- my Tarte cheek stains are pricey at $30 a pop, but with an ounce of product it'll take me years to go through the two I have.

colorobsession

I will splurge on skincare, BB creams/foundation, and primers, although if I can get free minis or great deals on any high-end product I will be happy to try it. I always am perusing the sale section of the Sephora website, and try to keep my eye out of great promotions and gift-with-purchase deals. I also like to shop in sets, as you can often get more bang for your buck.

My best discovery to date, though, is probably that I can redeem my Discover cash back bonus for Sephora e-certificates. It makes me feel so much better about my beauty splurges. The first time I did this I redeemed $80 of cash back bonus for a $100 gift certificate and got Viktor & Rolf's Flowerbomb perfume, the Sephora Collection Set for Summer that was out at the time, some kind of deluxe sample gift with purchase, plus my 3 free samples. The entire thing only cost me $14 of my own money and shipped to me for free!

prettyinpa

My splurge item is skincare and sunscreen from LaRoche Posay. It is one of the few sunscreens that don't cause my skin to break out and I love that it is relatively odorless and so light to wear.

I save on blotting papers-  I've tried the expensive MAC ones and Boscia ones and find that the drugstore kind work just as well. Same with makeup removing wipes- I used to use MAC wipes, but found that Yes To Cucumber remover wipes work better, actually.

Stuff that is a total waste of money-Dior BB cream- it turned orange on me!  I'd expect a lot better for the price. Tarte Tinted Moisturizer- it separated after less than a month. Being a natural brand, I'd expect it to have less preservatives/chemical emulsifiers, but really, for that price, I'd expect it to last a bit longer.

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

Great thread. Beauty things are really the only things I splurge on...I save on other things like clothes, shoes, purses, haircuts, eating out/buying boxed or instant food etc.

I spend the most on skincare but do find fantastic sales every once in awhile. I only use natural skincare (from Sephora my go to's are Loccitane and Origins). I will say though, that since I've found my holy grail toner (thayers), I havent had a interest in buying/trying new ones. Its 10 bucks or less depending on the store, all natural, and you get a really big bottle.

Makeup wise I dont always buy high end mascara and setting powder.I've tried so many expensive mascaras and only found 2 to be worth the price (benefit theyre real and givenchy phenomen eyes) but recently I've found a couple of drugstore mascaras that I really love and they dont break the bank (loreal voluminous carbon black and maybelline the falsies).

I do shop sales whenever I can. I love getting makeup at cosmetics company outlet for less than department store prices, and I pay attention when companies are pulling out lines because that means its all on sale!

MoreGun89

My dad has taught me that you get what you pay for, if you buy the more expensive better quality item over the other then you will spend less money in the long run since it will not break as easily and will require less replacement.  So far, this advice has always been correct.  So if I need to pay more for an item that works for me, that's just fine.  That means I have a bad tendency to splurge on most things >.>

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I'm the same way! 

DTalksAll

I tend to splurge on most products. Drug store brands like Olay and anything else P&G is mass marketed & most of them test on animals. I hate that you can't try & feel a product in the drug store. I want to know the consistency of something before I purchase it. I can spend over 2 hours in Sephora going back & forth between skin care products. 

drrragon

[ Edited ]

i scrutinize ingredient labels carefully before purchasing any skincare items, because if I'm going to pay for a "retinol" cream, but the word 'retinol' shows up third from last in the list of ingredients, then the company isn't being very honest.  They should have named it 'normal moisturizer with a tiny bit of retinol in it but not enough to make a real difference.'

Drugstore products like Olay and CeraVe are surprisingly good compared to more expensive brands, but if you are looking for a specialty item (like something with a high concentration of vitamin C) then you have to go with a high-end brand.

That said, ingredients aren't the only thing to base my purchases on.  If I don't love a product (like the texture, or how it feels going on) then I'm less likely to use it regularly and won't get the benefits.  And I do believe that more expensive brands are better at creating elegant textures that feel very luxurious.

dianabt

Hello thatbluebox, 

I actually LOVE to splurge on skincare.  If you're not using the right skincare your whole face and makeup will not look or feel it's best and it makes a huge difference. So if I find a pricey item I like that works? I have to give in and buy it. :smileyhappy:

Right now I'm debating on buying the Ren GlycoLactic mask or the GlamGlow MudMask both of which I have tried and love! I only need one right now so it's just a matter of which do I want to go with. While not every pricier item will be AMAZING on every one, it's definitley worth it to invest when they do!

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
rockhound0508

Perricone Face finishing moisturizer is my current splurge.

If you find a skincare product that WORKS it is worth the money.  If there isn't a dupe that works as good..

I am testing out the Nude Oil and so far I find it better than JM or any other Aragan oil.

I save on lipsticks (No 7 I find good glossies and have a few Loreal's) , but still bought  the Givenchy..gotta splurge for those special colors :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 77 replies
  • 83 hearts
  • 49 in conversation
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • maltipoo66