cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

What Makeup Item Haunts You?

Some lighthearted Friday Fun...

We all have a product that got away. Maybe it was something LE that we couldn't acquire.  Maybe our HG product was discontinued without notice.  Or any number of other reasons I'm hoping people will share.

I have 2 items that got away.  Some time in the late 90s I waltzed into a MAC counter and bought a specific cool toned mid intensity pink blush and Aria eyeshadow.  The blush in particular haunts me.  I loved it so much I panned and repurchased it 3 times.  Then I went through a phase of about 4 or so years of not wearing makeup and when I started wearing it again/cleaned out my old makeup bag I threw away the compact because I thought it was too 'old' without ever making note of the name.  So I have NO idea what it was called/whether they still make it any more/how to find a dupe and that makes me very sad.  I've gone to the MAC store a few times to try and figure it out but nothing from the existing line looks quite right.  And then Aria was my perfect, satiny neutral taupe shade.  It matched my eyelids perfectly but also had a lovely sheen that almost looked like a shift.  Sadly, it's long discontinued 😞 but I think I may have finally found it's equal in Chantecaille Elephant, although texturally it's different.

Do you have a story of unrequited makeup love?  Please share below.  Who knows, maybe someone will have suggestions for a dupe, has one to trade, etc.

RE: What Makeup Item Haunts You?

I have to be honest- i miss formula X

Re: What Makeup Item Haunts You?

this is fun! 

this happens to me a lot and i think that i'm obsessive or a hoarder lol - glad to hear it happens to others too. 

it always tends to be le or holiday stuff for me - i wait for coupons or deals and then it's gone! right now it's the UD Jean-Micheal Basquiat eyeliners and the KVD Saint Lipstick Set. 

But like others said, i tell myself that there will always be newer and nicer things. It helps to keep me from pulling the trigger on ebay (which i've done in the past).

The main one that comes to mind is the KVD Mi Vida Locha palette from a few holidays ago. Another one (and not nearly as a bummer) is that Bite Love set that they released this spring that had that really pretty tin covered in Roses with the full sized multi sticks, and lip topper. I missed it cause I was trying to catch it while on sale - so shame on me :P.

I have three.

The most recent is the KVD MetalMatte-- I wasn't really excited about it when it first dropped, since it looked to be very cool-toned and I lean warm. Then came everyone's rave reviews, gorgeous looks, etc. By the time I figured out that I wanted it very much... well, it was already sold out everywhere. I don't think I ever even physically saw one in store. 

Second is the gorgeous, gorgeous Guerlain snowflake meteorites from Holiday 2015. Honestly just some of the most beautiful packaging of all time. I got wind of this early and scoped out all my local Sephoras and Shoppers Drug Marts for the release, but they didn't have it in yet at the time. But it was December, and exam time hit, and I was so busy I completely forgot about getting the release-- and of course by the time I was ready to buy it, it was long gone everywhere. 

Finally there's the Disney x Sephora collaboration from c. 2013. It's not any of the cosmetics items I still lust after to this day, but rather the amazingly beautiful compact mirrors-- especially the Cinderella one, which had this clockwork-style design that I adore. It's almost impossible to find now, and genuinely impossible to find at a price that a isn't ridiculous. There were other Disney mirrors released in more recent years, but none that match up to the quality of these original ones. V. sad I wasn't really into makeup at the time this dropped. 

@Mochapj What a good idea for a thread!  In the mid-90s my much younger sister got a Sally Hansen lipstick in "Iced Platinum" that I snatched up; it was in a goodie bag from a children's birthday party.  It was the perfect shade for me - like an icy nude that was just ideal for my coloring and worked with any situation.  I could never find it in stores; I suspect the hostess bough the item on clearance to begin with.  The Internet wasn't like today, so I had no hope of finding it elsewhere.

Origins had a lip color that was decent as a replacement (1-2 years later), but I've long since forgotten the name and they certainly don't carry it now.

at the end of 1999 / beginning of 2000, my mom discovered some philosophy lip gloss and brought me home some as well. it was lightly tinted and NON STICKY--something very rare for the beginning of the height of the gloss era. as these things go, it was discontinued right around the time we discovered it, as we were never able to find it again. it haunts me.

it was maybe similar to something they appeared to have out recently called 'the super natural lipgloss', but i don't remember it being minty (as these were described). but maybe they were and i missed my chance to pick one up again ! haunted x 2 !!!!! i think someone on here steered me toward them once when i was reminiscing but i forgot it all !!

I miss Formula X as a whole, one of my favourite nail polish lines. In particular, A+ (a gorgeous blue-toned raspberry). I had a tiny point perk of it, and it's reaching the end of its life soon. 

I may have found a dupe for A+ in Essie Plumberry, but it's more red-toned. I didn't realize how much I loved A+ before it went away 😞

@Melissa136 Formula X A+ is back in the sale section! There's only 3 left, so hopefully, you see this in time. 

MAC Little Vi lustreglass.  I had no idea it was being discontinued until I was all out of backups and it was long gone.  I held onto my last tube for years trying to find a dupe, but never found anything quite right.

The one that got away: UD Alice in Wonderland palette (the FIRST one). 

Spoiler
Screen-shot-2010-01-25-at-3.05.36-PM.png

The LE lipstick I never want to finish is Mac Ruffian Red because I don't know how I will find this perfect shade again. 

Spoiler
mac_ruffianred005.jpg

Estee Lauder Tea Biscuit eyeshadow is my favorite base and I've hit pan so I'm pretty screwed as the newest formulation doesn't have this shade.I have plenty of similar shades but none exactly like it. 

Spoiler
img-thing.jpg

I wasn't into makeup until last couple years. So I missed out the Tom ford burnish amber quad and Chanel camelia de plumes highlighter.

@Mochapj,

I really wanted the limited edition Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Blushed Copper. They have it now as a blush but the packaging and the imprinted detail PLUS it looks amazing on my skin tone. I totally forgot about it and by the time I went to buy it, it was sold out. And now Becca is coming out with different shades but I really wanted this one.

Best Wishes,

Janean 

Image result for becca shimmering skin perfector copper limited edition

Hautelook had it a few times. Perhaps you might see it again!

Sally Hansen Ice Platinum lipstick.

Nars Lip Gloss in Sandpiper. 

I had a back-up for my back-up. It was the perfect nude copper gloss. One day I went to apply it and it had an off putting smell to it. So I pitched it thinking I had a couple extras. The one I pitched was my last tube. I'm still sad about it. I tried Greek Holiday thinking it might be close. Ahhh memories.

@bem564 I just googled Sandpiper - that is GORGEOUS!

It might not be exactly the same, but it reminded me of Shiseido Lacquer Rouge in OR508;

Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 10.36.55 AM.png

Oh I agree! @Mochapj That does look similar! Thank you very much!

You're welcome @bem564!  I have OR508 and it can be built up in layers to be much more dramatic and orange (what you might see in some google swatches) but it also applies in thin layers that look more like the above.

It's English name is 'Flame' 😉

@veronika23 - The KVD Star Studded palette and the Spellbinding palette.  I was just getting into KVD and wasn't sure about buying such large sets from a new-to-me brand.  Not getting these doesn't haunt me; I made the right decision each time.  I am disappointed because it seems between the two they contain a lot of dupes for many of the palettes that have come out recently.

@Titian06I think I was getting more into KVD too and wish I had it so I could add it to my collection. It was one of those I don't need this I have enough... which I do but still feel like my collection won't be complete without it even if it didn't get great reviews.  Interesting about the dupes... now I wanna look more into that!

ETA: I also wish I had the box for the spellbinding palette. I got it in a trade and it came without a box... which is fine... but for some reason now I wish I had it 😄

161 Replies
Photos15
  • 450_1000.jpg
  • 1473467080045.png
  • macblowdry
  • IMG_3375.JPG
  • IMG_6064.JPG
  • maxresdefault.jpg
  • upload_1946955178175128721.png
  • IMG_3379.JPG
  • IMG_8079.JPG
  • IMG_8080.JPG