cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

What Makeup Item Haunts You?

Some lighthearted Friday Fun...

We all have a product that got away. Maybe it was something LE that we couldn't acquire.  Maybe our HG product was discontinued without notice.  Or any number of other reasons I'm hoping people will share.

I have 2 items that got away.  Some time in the late 90s I waltzed into a MAC counter and bought a specific cool toned mid intensity pink blush and Aria eyeshadow.  The blush in particular haunts me.  I loved it so much I panned and repurchased it 3 times.  Then I went through a phase of about 4 or so years of not wearing makeup and when I started wearing it again/cleaned out my old makeup bag I threw away the compact because I thought it was too 'old' without ever making note of the name.  So I have NO idea what it was called/whether they still make it any more/how to find a dupe and that makes me very sad.  I've gone to the MAC store a few times to try and figure it out but nothing from the existing line looks quite right.  And then Aria was my perfect, satiny neutral taupe shade.  It matched my eyelids perfectly but also had a lovely sheen that almost looked like a shift.  Sadly, it's long discontinued 😞 but I think I may have finally found it's equal in Chantecaille Elephant, although texturally it's different.

Do you have a story of unrequited makeup love?  Please share below.  Who knows, maybe someone will have suggestions for a dupe, has one to trade, etc.

Re: What Makeup Item Haunts You?

orrrrr you've reached a level or perfection the rest of us can only dream of 😉

Haha, you give my scatter brain too much credit.

By the end of the week, this thread will certainly haunt me 🙂

Marc Jacobs Beauty The Siren (210) Style Eye-Con No.7 Eyeshadow.  I just couldn't decide if I would like such bright colors.  By the time I talked myself into it, the palette was gone (LE).  I did buy the KVD Mi Vida Loca palette a few years later, but it's just not the same. 

Too Faced Champagne Essence Lipstick in Cougar.  This was a great nudey, shimmery color.  It was the first and only lipstick I went through the entire tube.  Too Faced discontinued the line of lipsticks.  I tried to order the two or three tubes they had left online (at half price), but there was an issue with setting up my account and no one would ever answer the phone.  Thus, I never got another tube.  KVD Lolita and NARS Bansar are kinda, sorta similar in color, but they don't have the shimmer.

@Titian06  The Siren did make a come back at some point so maybe it will be re-released again?

Thanks, @veronika23!  I can hope especially since bright colors are still "in."

@Titian06  for me bright colors will always be in 😄  Cross fingers it comes back again!

@Titian06 I know I saw the MJ palette at TJ Maxx last year or so but..it was last year so I highly doubt it will be in stock now 😞

Shiseido Medusa

Dior Now and Early nail polishes

Charlotte Tilbury Legendary Muse palette

Estee Lauder x Victoria Beckham Modern Mercury

I'll probably be updating with more. 

@lmi82 I'll second Shiseido Medusa! I love the formula, the name and the color; have no idea why I didn't buy it when it was available. 

@lmi82 Modern Mercury is making a comeback! Estée Lauder is releasing a VB collab part 2 and it's coming back.

Yeah, I heard about that. It feels like it's taking forever for the collection to be re-released! @makeitup305

@lmi82 If you're ever in Europe (ETA: or Asia) hit up a Sephora or Shiseido counter. Medusa is not discontinued there. I picked one up for a friend last summer in Paris 😉

Thanks @Mochapj! That's good to know! 🙂

@Mochapj Oh that MAC blush story hits me hard. MAC Strada was my HG blush/contour since the late 90's. It was so popular and why they discontinued it, I'll never know. I found two single pans on eBay a few years ago. I plowed through one, but the other, I use very sparingly. 

They re-released it with Garett Pugh's collection but it was half the size for twice the price. Plus the formula isn't great because of the design they made of top. It collects oil easily and I'm always using a spooly to shave it off. I still have two backups of the bad fomula. 

I curse them for DCing that blush. It was THE contour color for pale skinned peeps. And it was so popular. I just don't understand 😞

@pixiedust2 i think you just solved a years-long mystery as to what my first blush actually was. i've actually talked to @Mochapj multiple times about this long-lost mystery MAC blush. i just looked up 'strada' and YEP, that's it. i loved it so much. 

@jemly join my one woman letter campaign to MAC 😂 I seriously email them every few months and cry "why did you do this to me?" I have some close cousins if you want any recs, but nothing close to a dupe. I stalk every new collection in the hopes they will bring it back. When contouring hit its peak, I thought for sure they would bring it back.  Here's hoping this MUFE might do the trick!

@pixiedust2 @jemly I still have about 1/3 left in my multipan blush palette, so I hadn't realized it was discontinued, I hope your campaign is successful 

Oh @pixiedust2 that makes me so sad! Especially that the rereleased formula wasn't up to par 😞

@Mochapj Yeah it was a major buzzkill. It's so much drier in comparison to the old one. I hoard that thing like "my precious" LOL. 

For MAC's Strada, try MUFE's M548 Pink Grey:

Here's what I'm using to reference Strada:

Image result for mac strada

Here's the MUFE shade, swatch is second from left:

Image result for mufe M548 Pink Gray swatch

Image result for mufe M548 Pink Gray swatch

Since the Artist Shadows can be used for blush too, I figure that above shade can be diffused much softer for use on cheeks/to contour so it's no as heavy looking if condensed in a smaller application like on lids.

@lylysa Thank you so much for the swatches and suggestion. I will definitely check this next time I'm in Sephora!

Photos15
  • 450_1000.jpg
  • 1473467080045.png
  • macblowdry
  • IMG_3375.JPG
  • IMG_6064.JPG
  • maxresdefault.jpg
  • upload_1946955178175128721.png
  • IMG_3379.JPG
  • IMG_8079.JPG
  • IMG_8080.JPG
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 10.36.55 AM.png