cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

What Makeup Item Haunts You?

Some lighthearted Friday Fun...

We all have a product that got away. Maybe it was something LE that we couldn't acquire.  Maybe our HG product was discontinued without notice.  Or any number of other reasons I'm hoping people will share.

I have 2 items that got away.  Some time in the late 90s I waltzed into a MAC counter and bought a specific cool toned mid intensity pink blush and Aria eyeshadow.  The blush in particular haunts me.  I loved it so much I panned and repurchased it 3 times.  Then I went through a phase of about 4 or so years of not wearing makeup and when I started wearing it again/cleaned out my old makeup bag I threw away the compact because I thought it was too 'old' without ever making note of the name.  So I have NO idea what it was called/whether they still make it any more/how to find a dupe and that makes me very sad.  I've gone to the MAC store a few times to try and figure it out but nothing from the existing line looks quite right.  And then Aria was my perfect, satiny neutral taupe shade.  It matched my eyelids perfectly but also had a lovely sheen that almost looked like a shift.  Sadly, it's long discontinued 😞 but I think I may have finally found it's equal in Chantecaille Elephant, although texturally it's different.

Do you have a story of unrequited makeup love?  Please share below.  Who knows, maybe someone will have suggestions for a dupe, has one to trade, etc.

Re: What Makeup Item Haunts You?

Thank you @malday  dry helpful swatches! It looks like Pander Me is in the middle of UD and Nars shades, A bit closer to UD uptight than Nars Jane. It is a good starting point though. Maybe I mix uptight and Jane to get the middle ground Pander Me.An excuse to get two more lipsticks 😁

Also, here is Lolita II (top) next to Pander Me

IMG_8080.JPG

Thank you @malday These look so close and funny thing I do have Lolita 2 but never thought it is so close to Pander Me.

Haha yeah, I think Lolita II is just a little brighter and more pink 

The first time I ever got my make up fully done was at a Lorac counter in Marshall Fields. Back then, Lorac still made eyeshadow singles and I was obsessed with the color Mesmerize, a magical peachy gold shimmer that I adored. I panned and repurchased that single at least 4 times before I also went though a low/no makeup couple of years. Even during my low maintenance phase, I'd always go back to Mesmerize. 

When I hit pan on my 4th shadow, I went to restock (with the full intention of getting two or more) and was horrified to discover that Lorac discontinued that color (HOW COULD THEY!) and then it seemed like just a little later, stopped making singles all together. Heart. Broken. I've never been able to find a dupe since and I've held onto that last shadow (now barely a ring around the edge of the pan) like some scared talisman.

Moral of the story...Hoard while you can! 

P.S. I know this isn't a dupe thread, but I too adored the formula of the Lorac shadows soooooo.....

Image result for lorac mesmerize eyeshadow

You may consider trying MUFE's I648 Golden Fawn (it has that golden peach tone):

Image result for mufe Golden Fawn I648

If you want something a bit more intense, try D712 Creme Brulee:

Image result for mufe creme brulee

Or for an option that isn't too intense on the metallic/reflective quality, try Anastasia's Party Dress:

Anastasia Party Dress Eyeshadow

Image result for anastasia party dress

@lylysa You are a total sweetheart for finding dupes and swatches! That MUFE looks promising, and I quite like their shadow formula. I didn't even realize ABH made singles...

I know everyone's all palette crazy these days but I do miss the days of Lorac singles, the palette formula just isn't the same!

Happy to help provide some possibilities! 😄

Not to sound like a weirdo, but @lylysa, you are so sweet for doing things like that! (the swatches)

❤️

Not at all! 🙂

Finding dupes can be fun and if it can help someone find a like product then everyone wins! 

I'm very regretful for not falling into hype for the ABH Mario palette. I noticed how beautiful it was much after it sold out. 😞

SAME!!  And they have said that they will never bring it back, which sucks.  I've considered making my own palette of dupes, but I really wish they would just bring it back!

The item that haunts me is also, I think, the item that started my makeup obsession.. It's a sheer berry purple aromatherapy lip gloss from the discontinued Tony & Tina line. I found out too late that the brand was done, so I had no backups. I used to go into Sephora with my nearly empty tube trying to find a dupe, but nothing was ever quite right. I did find lots to tryout though, and I still collect that type of color!

@playingdressup that's a blast from the past! I also had a Tony & Tina product I loved. It was this amazing holographic lip gloss back when I used to glob on lipgloss 24/7 😞 

The Too Faced Holiday 2011 Collection, the packaging was so beautiful.

IMG_3375.JPG

Wow @StyleLynn that is some serious packaging!

I don't recall this one at all 😮

@Mochapj All of the packaging was beautiful that year, I wish they would revisit it. A pain to store but so pretty and collectible.

IMG_3379.JPG

MAC lipstick in Blow Dry from the Blonde Brunette Redhead collection - shown here on the left half of the lips. Such a perfect everyday, pink with a bit of orange shade in a very comfortable Lustre formula. Easy to wear and didn't even need a mirror to apply, it was good for work in the spring/summer. Despite all the repromotes Mac does I've never seen it again 😞 

macblowdry

@underwhelmed11, you may want to look into the Korres Lip Butter in Pomegranate. It has that kinda sheer, natural finish and the formula is super smooth and cushion-y on lips!

Image result for korres lip butter pomegranate

Swatch on far left:

@lylysa thank you so much for this recommendation! i will def check this out, you are so sweet for helping people throughout this post ❤️

All 3 of the Disney Princess palettes that Sephora came out with 😞

Sephora Disney Jasmine collection

Image result for sephora disney princess collection

2 Replies
Photos15
  • 450_1000.jpg
  • 1473467080045.png
  • macblowdry
  • IMG_3375.JPG
  • IMG_6064.JPG
  • maxresdefault.jpg