katie723

Weekly Make-up Rotation

Has anyone been successful with a Weekly Make-up Rotation? If you haven't heard of this idea... it helps avoid using the same make-up products each and every day, without giving the rest of your makeup stash a chance! This is a great way to "shop your stash" and rediscover great products (you DID buy each products for a reason, right?! :smileywink:) I love the idea of this because it helps get you out of your comfort zone and switch up your look each week. I know my makeup looks pretty much the same everyday for work... I always just reach for my NAKED palette. So, I'm up for the challenge!

Basically, you choose your makeup for the week (face, eyes, lips, etc) and switch it up with different products the next week, and continue each week after that! Of course it's okay to repeat some products - for example, I only use one foundation... so I will repeat that product each week. I thought this would be perfect to start early during the week so that we can really get a chance to complete it!

I've tried this before, but sometimes I'd be running late for work and end up reaching for my "comfort" products! I'm determined to stick to this! :smileyhappy:

Here is what I chose for this upcoming week:

rotation.jpg

1. SEPHORA Mineral Loose Powder Foundation in Medium 25 and Tan 26.

2. Estee Lauder Double Wear Concealer in Light Medium.

3. NARS Blush in Orgasm (I can't even REMEMBER the last time I used this!).

4. UDPP.

5. Inglot neutral eye shadow palette.

6. Bobbi Brown Long-wear Gel Eyeliner in Caviar Ink (I had trouble with this one last time. When I was in a hurry, my liquid pen liner was so much faster to apply than gel liner!)

7. Benefit BADgal Lash Mascara (I will be tossing this one out after this week! Project 10 Pan! Too bad I LOVE this mascara).

8. EOS Lip Balm in Summer Fruit.

9. NYX Lip Liner in Nude Pink.

10. MAC Wonder Woman Lip Stick in Marquise D' (haven't used this in awhile and I LOVEE it!).

11. Smashbox Lip Gloss in Brown Sugar.

I am SO SO excited for this rotation! I keep all the products in one place (make-up bag) to remember what I've chosen.

Once we're done, ladies, we get to put everything back and shop our stash for the following week! :smileyhappy: Can't wait to see your lists! Also, fill me in if you have been able to keep up with it =)

katie723

Re: Weekly Make-up Rotation

(0) Hearts

aww, are you sick? :smileysad:

jxw200

@kimmi i hope you feel better! My bf paints my nails every time lol (but i don't do it much... my big toes still have nail polish from like july or august YIKES) he's not bad at it! i'm not good at painting with my left hand so i usually make him do my right unless he wants to do both and see how it goes lol. 

i wish i did take a pic lol! maybe next time

katie723

@jxw200 thats so funny! your bf is a good sport!! isnt it funny how much our guys have to deal with with our beauty obsession? LOL. my boyfriend probably knows more tips and tricks than the average non-makeup-obsessed girl out there! (because i tell him everything and anything, not becuz hes interested HAHA)

ohh boys!

i'll have to see if my bf would be willing to do my makeup (probably not) or nails (most definitely not, but HEY, maybe!) or something... and i'll try to post it if it happens =)

kimmi1115

Thanks, @jxw200!  I am feeling a lot better than I did a couple of days ago.

@katie723  I also tend to tell my bf about makeup/sephora stuff lol.  He also probably hears it from his mom as well since she's a license cosmetologist lol.  In return, guys have stuff they like to talk about, such as cars.  I don't know as much about them as my bf, but I do know what cars I like lol.  And I tease him that he drives a Ford (I'm from a Dodge and Toyota family lol).

katie723

@kimmi true, guys and girls have the freedom to talk about their obsessions :smileyhappy: my bfs into tech-y things like Apple and his iphone and laptops and music! thats AWESOME that ur bfs mom is a cosmetologist!!

@waterbaby LOL yeah, my boyfriend starts pretend-snoring once i start talking about makeup -__-

@jxw200 HAHA nice! he seems like a fun shopping buddy! :smileyhappy: today i said "primer potion" to my bf and he automatically said urban decay! i started laughingggg. oh boysss!

jxw200

my bf is the best shopping buddy! Plus he's practical and i told him to help me not be a crazy shopaholic and it's been working out great! 

kimmi & katie, i told my bf that your bfs like the little beads too and he just told me that one time when i was checking out he was throwing them and a sephora employee was like "um those are glass you know!" LOL!! he doesn't think they're glass at all but it's just hilarious.

and yes, nordstrom's return policy is great! I've been good about hanging on to the receipts & nordstrom also has a return label they put on boxes. i think i returned a nars eye brush i bought last year (i still had the packaging and literally just tried it once lightly before i returned it!) 

hmmm rotation... okay

too faced bronze tint primer

laura mercier oil free tm

some nars lip product! really any of them i would allow 

nars south beach multiple

too faced lashgasm

too faced perfect eyes eyeliner

and i think any eyeshadow will do! 

waterbaby1981

I think my husband just tunes me out automatically by now every time he hears something even remotely related to beauty at ALL.  However!

Today I'm wearing:

Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua foundation

Laura Mercier secret brightener, secret brightening powder, secret concealer and translucent loose setting powder

Nars The Multiple in Orgasm

UD Anniversary Palette with Chase on lid, Deep End in crease, Midnight 15 as a highlight and a pop of Omen in the middle of the lid

UD 24/7 eyeliner in Flipside (I'm running out of this and Whiskey, they're my favorites!)

Clinique High Lengths Mascara

Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment

jxw200

my bf is so sweet & cute actually, he always goes to the mall with me (which is like at least once a week if not more) and pays attention to what i look at. He especially likes touching brushes in sephora and globbing on really expensive creams to see if they do anything. it's cute he'll always be like "i just put a $100 cream on my face! that's crazy!" or he'll joke that he's a brush connoisseur. he is even aware of what brands i like and if he sees other brands or i start looking at other ones he'll ask me about them lol. so cute that he tries to understand and know my obsession. he thinks makeup is unncessary but since i like it and love buying/playing with it he's all for coming with me!

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

@jxw200 lol brush connoisseur.  Does he ever comment about the little bead things the brushes are in?  My bf thinks those are cool lol.  He goes over to the brushes when I'm in Sephora to check out the beads lol.

@katie723  Oh goodness, my bf has an iPhone as well, and now I think he's hooked to anything Apple related lol.  When he decides to get a new computer, he wants a Mac.  That'll be good since he's an accounting/business major.  That's a good thing your bf also recognizes brands, he'll know what to get you for Christmas!  :smileyhappy:

I'll post my rotation later on today.  This campus computer is possessed when it comes to uploading pictures lol.

kimmi1115

After feeling not so well last week and not doing much for a rotation, I finally got one together for this week. 

oct week.jpg

Face

• Smashbox HD Concealer in Light  (the tube is feeling lighter)
  • TheBalm Balm Shelter TM in Light/Medium  (was gonna use loose powder, but changed my mind)
  • Urban Decay Razor Sharp Finishing Powder mini
  • Urban Decay All Nighter makeup setting mist mini
  • Urban Decay De Slick Mattifying Powder as needed
  • Bare Minerals Blush in Beauty

Eyes

• UDPP
  • Urban Decay 15th Anniversary Palette
  • Urban Decay Big Fatty Mascara
  • Too Faced Lash Injection Mascara mini
  • Flirt! Brow gel (this stuff is getting close to gone, too, and just in time for my bday lol)
  • Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On Eye Pencils in Whiskey (love!) and Flipside
  • Sephora Nano Liner in 10 Kaki Green
  • Sephora Jumbo Eye Pencil in Purple 504

Lips

• Smashbox the Nude Lip Liner in Fair
  • Estee Lauder mini glosses in Brazen Berry and Nude Rose  (I think I can get them used up this week)
  • Liplicious Lipglosses in Vampire Vixen and Butterscotch Creme

Perfume: Kat Von D Rollerball in Saint

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

Pfft. Already failed this thing when I put on a shadow and primer that arent in my current rotation. But everything else was from my rotation!

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

I miss this thread so...here's my 4.10 weekly makeup rotation

bag.jpg

kimmi1115

That's great!  With the bigger bag farther away, it's less temptation to pull out something else lol.  Various eyeshadows can be tempting for me since I'll use one color from one palette and a couple of other colors from another.

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

It went great actually! I put all of my current makeup items in my little bag and I put everything else away in the bigger makeup bag so I only had those items within easy reach! There's some items that I'm using daily so I will always have some of the same items every week (like sunscreen, bronzer and mascara).

The picture came out really bad....I will probably take another one in better lighting (its been nothing but storms and rain here lately) and repost it.

kimmi1115

Looks like another fun rotation!  How did last week's go as to sticking to it?

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

7.11 Rotation:

bom.jpg

1. Benefit Dallas Bronzer (everyday keeper)

2. Benefit Bad Gal Lash Mascara (my only mascara)

3. NARS Lip Lacquer in Chelsea Girls

4. CARGO Blush in Louisiana

5.Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow in Birthday Suit and RSVP

sephoramusthave

I used to wear very little makeup before I joined BT, hehe. I didnt even know what concealer, blush, bronzer, luminzer etc even was. So no worries. Its all practice and good reviews.

kimmi1115

@sephoramusthave  Thank you for the info!  I'll give it a try next time.  The swatch makes it look much friendlier lol.  I've not really experimented with luminizer.  I'm taking it one step at a time lol.  I never wore blush or bronzer in high school, so I have some catching up to do.

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

Try Dallas on the next time you hit Sephora. I was afraid of the color at first too because it seemed to look like it had a lot of red in it and I thought that that red would end up making me look orange but not so. When you try it on buff a little of it on your cheeks and if you like the color, go for it. Its now my HG bronzer and bronzer is all I use in the summer(meaning no powder, foundation, concealer, tinted moisturizer, BB cream etc..just bronzer!)

If Dallas doesnt work out for you, try Benefit Boxed Powder in 10. I cant wait to get this product. Its half bronzer, half luminizer. You can swirl them together or use them on its own. I wish they came in 2 diff boxes though because I want both products in full size! The 10 would be something I would use in the winter when I have fair skin because its a lot lighter than Dallas.

But if you use Dallas the right way, it can make you look sunkissed or tan and I love it for that!!

This is a great online swatch of Dallas.

kimmi1115

@sephoramusthave  I've been getting into bronzers this summer, and the two I've been using are minis (NARS and Smashbox).  I looked at Dallas when I last browsed Sephora, but I didn't play around with it since I was pressed for time.  I like how it's not the "traditional" bronze shade you commonly see, but I don't know how it would work with a light/medium skin tone.  I guess certain bronzers and black eyeshadows are my "makeup phobias" lol. 

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

I got Sugarbomb last month and I LOVE it soooo much! I put it on several times in Sephora/Ulta/Benefit counters at the mall and I finally just bought it a few weeks back. I was able to get it in the original full sized .42 oz and Im so glad because the new packaging only has .28 oz of product. Its gorgeous!!

I have 2 Dallas, 2 Coralistas, 1 Hoola and 1 Sugarbomb. I know there's a kit out right now that has the full sized Bella Bamba and some other full sized products for 38 bucks so if you are familiar with that color and you like the way it looks on you, this could be a good deal. I want that kit too, and a Tarte kit I saw at Sephora last time (it had 3 full sized items, a blush, lipgloss and chubby lip pencil). I'm hoping to collect all of the boxed powders because they all rock! And Im sad that Throbb and Georgia are discontinued. Booo.

This rotation thing sounds like fun! Plus I have a bunch of new makeup items that I havent even opened yet, and I need to give them all at least a weeks test run before I write reviews. (reviews always help me, so I make sure to take 5 minutes out of my day every once in awhile and write one myself)

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 215 replies
  • 294 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • runy
    • katie1724
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoramusthave
    • blackcatmama
    • jxw200