shortstuff07

Vanity Upgrade Questions

So I'm looking to upgrade and get a vanity, but I have some questions.  Does anyone have the acrylic lipstick holder from the Container Store?  Does it hold OCC lip tars well or no?  Any container suggestions, store recommendations, advice you wish you'd had when making yours?  This is the desk I'm looking at, does anyone have it or the Alex system from IKEA?  I'm also thinking I'm going to paint it, as white seems a bit too sterile for a make up super station.  I'm super excited but a bit nervous as well!24LIpstickAcrylicOrganizer_x.jpg

shortstuff07

Re: Vanity Upgrade Questions

(0) Hearts

Sweet!  I'm hesitant to do a wall mount as we're still renting and I loathe patching holes.  Sounds like a great permanent solution once we actually settle down!

LindaDD

[ Edited ]

@bad823, I got mine at a local nail supply store for about $12.

@shortstuff07, I have that same rack, and you're right, the steps are too narrow to fit Butter London polish sideways.

shortstuff07

(0) Hearts

So glad to know prior to ordering, online returns stink!

bad823

(0) Hearts

Thanks! I wish I could get my foot in the door of a beauty supply store. I currently use a 3 shelf wire spice rack, each shelf holds 14 bottles. Not nearly enough space! The bottom shelf alone is for my base, top coats, drying drops, glitters etc.  Polish is my biggest impulse, I'm going to have to enforce "if a bottle comes in, a bottle goes out" I have a ton of clunkers taking up space.

shortstuff07

(0) Hearts

Oh dear!  I work in a salon, and one of these days they're taking me to the supply house!  I'm a little scared to go because I think I'll have to buy everything!

drrragon

LOL I want one too!  Is it from the Container store?

shortstuff07

(0) Hearts

The smaller one that expands does expand!  

jxw200

when i buy a house i'm gonna get a malm table from ikea and some alex drawers lol. i wanted to buy alex drawers but was really afraid to actually fill them lol. 

I love the idea of leaving things out but i have horrible luck with everywhere i live being DUSTY. and i hate dusting off my products every few days lol. So i have clear drawers from the container stores that are nice, and ikea helmer drawers i use. 

shortstuff07

(0) Hearts

I love the idea of the desk having the drawers built in.  I think it saves space, but maybe that's just me.  I'm not afraid of filling them, I'm afraid of having too much and not having enough room!  :/  

I currently have everything in plastic totes with lids, we had a hot water pipe burst in our ceiling this summer, and while it was in our guest bath, I still worry that the same thing will happen in the master and all of my cosmetics will get soaked.  I hate dusting as well, so that's something to consider too.

jxw200

(0) Hearts

lol, yes i am afraid to see it all in one place and see that i can fill a whole drawer. although at this point i don't think i could fill the large alex drawer but definitely a small one, or possibly the tall one. Oh well haha. 

Lol does everyone have to dust frequently or is that just my bad luck? i hate picking up dusty products, and i def can't keep brushes in a jar at all, they get dusty in like two days!

Eek bummer about the water pipe. I don't keep them in my bathroom at all, cause i worry about heat/steam/etc :smileyhappy:

shortstuff07

(0) Hearts

My allergies are severe enough that I'm actually not allowed to dust, I can't even empty the vacuum cleaner!  I don't like jars, I feel like they get so much dirtier, and I hate cleaning brushes as it is.

I think I can sorta *mostly* fill the desk version, but we'll see.  

We're hoping to move into a house this spring, and I might have asked for enough room for a proper vanity outside of the bathroom, so we'll see if that works out!  

Yeah, the water pipe burst on the first morning my in-laws were here, perfect timing right?

AllyKatVA

(0) Hearts

At least they were there to help mop up?

itsjaimiehere

I have two of these, and my lip tars fit perfectly :smileyhappy:

shortstuff07

(0) Hearts

Regular or mini tars?  Is it this exact model?

itsjaimiehere

(0) Hearts

Regular... Same exact model.

IllegallyBlonde

I don't have that one, but I have a very similar one, and it doesn't really hold anything well except actual lipstick which is kind of annoying because I have so many glosses and they just kind of fall over with the slightest nudge. I can't imagine they would hold the OC lip tars up at all, since my glosses in similar tubes might as well just be laying on my dresser with as much these things hold them :-\

Nicrohr

(0) Hearts

same here - everything tips over with the slightest nudge.  I am soo bummed :smileysad:.  It's like the little slots are both too short and a little too big, they allow everything to just fall over.

However, I do not have this EXACT MODEL from Cont Store, so this one could be better than mine.

shortstuff07

(0) Hearts

If that's the case, it's not going to work.  That'll make me crazy!!

Titian06

I've looked at the lipstick holder so many tiimes at the Container Store.  It will be great for the traditional square and round lipstick tubes.  It should hold the mini Lip Tars just fine.  I'm not sure if the regular size will fit diagonally in the square, bottom side in.  They should fit OK tip side in, but then they'll lean sideways.  How many lip stick pencils do you use?  They definitely won't fit in this type of holder; they are way too tall.  Also, other traditional style lipstick tubes may not fit due to the design of the lipstick tube (too big)--I'm thinking of a particular brand, but I can't remember the name!  Guerlain maybe?  Anyway, these are all reasons why ended up not buying this lipstick holder.

shortstuff07

(0) Hearts

I have quite a few traditionals, but I have a lot that probably won't fit, so I need to find an alternative for OCC and all of my pencils.  I have some cups that work currently, they just aren't the same color.  Those reasons make sense, I guess I just need to measure and decide.

aggiegirl2012

(0) Hearts

I use mine for lip tars. It's better if you put two per square and remember to rotate them

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 59 replies
  • 49 hearts
  • 24 in conversation
    • jxw200
    • drrragon
    • janinebt
    • viviene23
    • aggiegirl2012
    • IllegallyBlonde