sephoramusthave

Urban Decay Build your own Palette

[ Edited ]

Okay who has this item and what do you think of it? I love Urban Decay and have been using their shadows for years. I have a book of shadows and the Ammo palette and have been holding off on Naked and Naked 2 because I've never been able to use up every single color in a palette. I'm drawn to this custom made palette but realize that its costly. To buy the palette and fill it up would set me back about 120 bucks with tax *but* I would have a palette with the colors that I would actually use up. I also realize that I could just buy a few single shadows and not even bother with the clunky palette....what do you guys think? Genius or waste of money?

prettyinpa

Re: Urban Decay Build your own Palette

I love it! I have my favorites from Naked 1 and 2 plus some summery shades to swap in when I'm going to a seasonal event. I really appreciate the metal case, I can pack it in my oversized purse and it doesn't get dinged up like my other palettes. It travels perfectly and now that UD has made favorites from palettes available, I can make up a custom only favorites palette. I agree that their other palettes have too many glittery shades that I don't use and the brights in 15th anniversary palette are too bright for me, so I don't use them either.

I don't care about the cost, it's worth it to me to get exactly what I want. How many times in life can you say that about anything? :smileyhappy:
sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

I read a lot of reviews where people said that the old single shadows fit into this palette, it might be a little harder to get it out but they fit perfectly, and the older shadows are now on urbandecay.com for 9 bucks each. If I buy 5 shadows off their website I will save tons of money, but I dont know whether the website has the 5 colors that I want.

*runs to check it out*

Oh and I also calculated the real cost of getting this palette and filling it up. Since the palette costs the same as the single shadows do, its $18 times 6 (5 empty slots and 1 palette) is $108. Using a online sales tax calculator, the total $108 with the 8.25% sales tax comes out to $116.91.

If I end up doing this, I will probably get the palette last, as in, after I've accumulated the 5 shades because seeing those empty slots would just drive me crazy, and since I have plenty of neutrals already, it would kind of be a waste of money to get everything at once. In time....in time...

I really appreciate all the feedback guys!

prettyinpa and floridab---Oooooh! I wish I could see how you set up your palette!

I dont have any single UD shadows (buying a palette has always been cheaper) so I would have to start from scratch.

kimmi---I saw Freelove in person on my last trip to Sephora! I didnt get to try it on, I had my eye makeup all done up and didnt feel like getting it removed but its gorgeous! It looks similar to some coral blush colors that I own. It looks like it would look especially great with a tan (and I just got back from a 12 day stay at the beach last tuesday!)

kimmi1115

@sephoramusthave  I feel your pain on sales tax.  In TN, it's 9.something percent.  I always round it up to ten percent to be safe since it can vary slightly by county.  After being at the beach, it sounds like Freelove would be perfect for you!

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

kimmi---I might have to add freelove to my build your own palette then! I know *for sure* that I want Sin and Mauwie Wowie in the palette. I bought the Ammo palette twice because I ran out of those colors. The only thing I have to do is look at my book of shadows vol 1 palette...I've had it for years and never once used anything in it. I got it as a gift from my dad once (bless his heart, he knows how much i love UD!) but its just been hanging out in my bathroom cabinet as decoration for all this time. It was so pretty to use and I always had other things to reach for so I kept putting off using it. There might be some great neutrals in there, and I dont want doubles of those in my build your own. I heard rave reviews about the color vanilla as the best highlighter, but the palette already comes with a highlighter called walk of shame, so if i like that one enough, i'll use that and replace vanilla with it when I run out. I just want the lighter neutral colors in my palette, I have plenty of golds and bronzes that I dont use nearly enough. Just the lighter, champagne and taupe type neutrals.

kimmi1115

@sephoramusthave I love the Ammo palette!  I have Vanilla in the UD 15 palette.  It is a good highlighter, and I do use it for that when I use that palette.  However, it's not my favorite highlight shade.  I like Sin and Virgin better than Vanilla.  I would love to try Foxy as a highlight shade.  It's also the name of my boyfriend's cat, and she's a torti so the color is similar to her light splotches lol.

sephoramusthave

kimmi----Ohh thanks for letting me know! I'll have to check out Virgin then too! I looked at the single shadow swatches on ud.com and I've made a (long....) list of possible colors I could add into this palette. It looks like its going to be kinda hard picking just 5 neutrals, I forgot that UD had so many!! But when it comes down to it, I have to go into Sephora and see the colors in person, swatch them on my hand and put them on my eye to see if I really really like the color. Because some colors are stunning in the token but far to glittery on the eye. I like glitter but sparingly. I wear contacts and its not fun when they get in and scratch my eye...or fall all over my face. I dont like picking up stray glittery particles off my face.

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

@sephoramusthave I just noticed how many neutrals UD had last week when I went to Sephora.  The employees have changed the UD display and organized the shadows into color groups.  There are waayyy more neutrals than I originally thought there were.  How on earth do they just have two neutral palettes?! lol  I know what you mean about the glitter.  I like the light glitter in Maui Wowie and Sidecar (Naked 1), but not in the Midnight Cowboy, Midnight Cowboy Rides Again, and Midnight Cowgirl.  I tried them before, and I looked like someone slammed my face into a pile of glitter lol.

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

Okay this is how my first horizontal row will look: walk of shame, sin, maui wowie

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

Tease and Naked and Suspect look like good lighter neutrals for the 2nd row.

sephoramusthave

Sellout looks like a cross btw sin and maui wowie, would fit real well into the first row

sephoramusthave

buck looks good too...

sephoramusthave

Okay these are the colors I'm interested in on my next trip to Sephora: Walk of Shame, Sin, Mauwie Wowie, Tease, Naked, Suspect, Sellout and Buck. Thats 8 colors that I need to condense into 6.

I really wish that the palette didnt already come with a color. I would rather have a cheaper palette than a random highlighter color thrown in for me.

kimmi1115

Can the color that comes with the palette be removed if you don't want to keep it in there when you buy it? I think you would really like Naked and Buck.  The matte shades are very natural looking, and Buck makes a good liner, too.  Best of luck narrowing it down!  I know it's just two shades to kick out, but it could be a hard choice.

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

It can be removed, but it doesnt come with its own case. We'll see if I like that color or not. If it turns out to be a great highlighter, then awesome. If not, then I have to take it out, put it in a case that used to belong to another single shade, and spend another 18 bucks getting my own highlighter color. (Virgin or Vanilla. I heard that Foxy disappears on lighter skin tones). Its getting pricier and pricier...well...my birthdays next month. Maybe I can ask for the palette :smileyvery-happy: I think its going to be a lot easier when I'm actually in the store swatching out the colors, but just looking at online shades makes it really hard. I dont want more than 6 colors, that really is the perfect amount for me. If I wanted more than that, I would just get the naked palettes.

kimmi1115

That sounds like an awesome birthday gift! :smileyvery-happy:  Before I got back into the neutrals (I wore neutrals mainly in high school), I tried looking for a small neutral palette since I was mainly into the brights UD offered.  I couldn't find one I like and I ended up with the Naked palette.  I honestly didn't think I would find a way to use all the shades in it, but I was wrong lol.  The only two I don't use that much as the gray/black shades Creep and Gunmetal.  Oil Slick in my Ammo palette doesn't really get used, either. 

Virgin is an amazing highlight color lol.  Sorry I've said that a million times lol.  Whenever you do create the palette, you need to post it on here.  It sounds like it'll be a mini version of a Naked palette.  UD may need to pay you for the inspiration for a mini palette!

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

Palettes are pretty and there's always new one's coming out, but single shadows are a better match for me. With singles, I get the colors that I know I will use and I always use them up completely, so even if they are 20 bucks a piece or more, I dont care because it doesnt go to waste. Oh I will absolutely post a pic of it on here, I cant wait! Thats exactly what I wanted to do, make my own naked palette. I like brights but I dont wear them as often as the neutrals, neutrals are just easier/less time consuming. With bright colors I have to be able to take my time and blend things out, whereas a champagne neutral color can just be thrown on lashline to browbone and it looks just as polished as if I had spend 15 minutes blending it with different brushes.

I've made sort of a new rule for myself......a few weeks ago I bought my new plastic drawer set too keep my makeup in...and its starting to get pretty full....so the rule is....if it doesnt fit into this organizer, I dont need it. Because I am not going out and getting a new organizer...I love this one too much!

whole.jpg

sephoramusthave

Okay I wanted to see vanilla and virgin side by side. Pics are from google and bing images. Virgin looks like it has too much yellow in it, but I have yellow undertones.....I'll just have to swatch them in store!

kimmi1115

I wish I could somehow remove Vanilla from my UD 15 palette and send it to you lol.  I like it, but it's too shimmery for certain looks I create with the palette. 

sephoramusthave

Virgin it is then! I just looked at my UD book of shadows (vol 1) palette...and it looks like I have to postpone getting the build your own for awhile because it has a handful of really great neutrals plus a lot of great darker colors that will be perfect for fall. It even has a color thats super similar to freelove, its called scandal.

ud.jpg

kimmi1115

From the pictures, Scandal does look like a good dupe for Freelove!  Last Call, Smog, Goddess, and Protest look like excellent Fall shades.  I spy Sidecar!  That is my favorite shade from my Naked Palette, and I wish they sold it as a single.  It may be the first to be used up in my palette.  I may have to find a dupe for Protest.  I love using greens with neutrals, but my Kat Von D Truth palette's greens are much too bright for the neutrals lol.  You have an excellent set of neutrals in that palette. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 45 replies
  • 73 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoramusthave
    • jxw200
    • waterbaby1981
    • krissynita