poshified

Tuesday Top 5: Taupe-tastic!

I'm a firm believer that one can never have enough taupe eyeshadows, aside from neutral palettes! :smileywink: Picking five was difficult, but I feel that these are the standouts (and that are still available to purchase.) They're essentially what a taupe eyeshadow should be -- complex with a chameleon-like quality:

taupes.JPG

-Chanel Gri Gri: I have a love-hate relationship with Chanel eyeshadows, as I find them to be the most expensive on the market given the amount that you get. That said, this is shimmery perfection in a taupe form and pairs really nicely with MAC's Satin Taupe in the crease.

-Burberry Rosewood: People either love or hate Rosewood, as it pulls more pinky-taupe. The formula is buttery soft, like all Burberry shadows. It's great for 'no-makeup makeup' days to just put on the lid and blend into the crease.

-Le Metier de Beaute Corinthian: This was the first taupe shade I truly fell in love with, and it's truly a versatile eyeshadow depending on the cream colored base I have laid down beforehand. Word on the street is that it's on its way of being discontinued, so if you're a taupe lover like me, I'd suggest picking one up.

-L'oreal Bronzed Taupe: With that name, how could I not like the pressed pigment of an eyeshadow. One swipe is all you need to achieve an intensely metallic bronze smokey eye that will last all day on your lids.

-Cargo Yukon: After hearing some buzz about it in the BT community, I knew I had to have it and thankfully, Ulta had a Cargo kit which included the shadow. Like most Cargo eyeshadows, Yukon is extremely pigmented and blends like a dream.

What are your top picks?

kittichick

Re: Tuesday Top 5: Taupe-tastic!

I was just talking about how I've been so drawn to taupe, lately! Especially really gray-leaning taupes.

I'm going top have to go get that L'Oreal one. Great color! And Laura Mercier's Sable. (Can you still find it?) And MUG's Moondust. And Hipster. And Inglot's 153! And 420 (or is it 402?)  :smileyvery-happy:

poshified

Laura Mercier includes Sable in a couple of her palettes, so if you have her palettes, I'd see if it's in there :smileyhappy:. I checked Sephora's LM page when I saw Drrragon's swatches and was bummed when I didn't see it available in a single shadow form. But I found out that it's in her Glamour Wardrobe palette (which I had embarrassingly forgotten I owned but will now start using more! lol)

drrragon

the Laura Mercier Sable is in her permanent collection as an eyeshadow single!  Sephora doesn't seem to carry it but I'm sure Nordstrom's and other dept stores would.  

drrragon

speaking of Cargo, I wish they were easier to find in person!  I've really really been wanting to own their Shanghai palette ever since I first saw it at a Duane Reade in NYC....

upload_4229853987065518666.jpg

look at that adorable packaging!!

upload_1080511678117518772.jpg

poshified

Oh my goodness! That packaging and lower right shade... *DROOL* The Shanghai palette is still available on the Beauty website! I might still pick it up even though they just had F&F like a week ago, haha!

drrragon

wait, is it discontinued???  nooooooooooooo

kittichick

I found it in stock all over the place (Nordstrom's Beauty.com, Macy's, and Kohl's. And something called Bonanza has it for $16.90)

That packaging IS gorgeous!

drrragon

Finally got a chance to pull my taupes together for a lineup!  I wish I had a real camera, I never seem to be able to get true colors on my camera phone :smileysad:  The colors seem kinda muddy and not as complex as in real life, and definitely a lot redder/browner.

20131112_200052.jpg20131112_200458.jpg

1.  The Taupe that Started it All -- the very first eyeshadow that I wore regularly was Stila's 3-color pan in Ethereal.  Love love love this combination and always will!

2.  Tarte Shimmery Sable.  Sooooo soft in the pan.  I think I bought this quad because it reminded me so much of Ethereal.

3. Stila in Rain.  Matte cool brown taupey color, I used to use this as a crease color with Stila Starlight all over my lid.

4. Urban Decay eye pencil in Juju.  

5. Laura Mercier in Sable (from last year's Artist Palette for Eyes).  Definitely a repurchase whenever I hit pan.

20131112_195602.jpg

Mystiques

Was the UD eye pencil in Juju limeted edition? I can't seem to find it. Also what about the Tarte shimmery sable?

poshified

(0) Hearts

What Drrragon said :smileyhappy:. UD needs to make Juju permanent ASAP, next to Skimp eyeshadow!

drrragon

Yup, sounds like Juju was only included in the mini pencil set from a couple of years ago.  The Tarte quad is currently available (but not at Sephora), you can check out the Tarte site or Ulta for it.  It's called bambeautiful Amazonian clay eyeshadow palette in Shades of Clay.

Mystiques

poshified

I hear you on the camera phone! Sometimes I feel like everything gets washed out, and the colors all look the same.

Great picks and swatches though! That Stila trio is right up my alley; I'll have to check it out next time I'm in store. I wish UD would make Juju a permanent color in the line-up! I bought a back-up of their mini shadow sticks set last holiday when I saw it on-sale JUST for Juju! :smileyvery-happy:

drrragon

oh speaking of Juju I should've included Sephora's jumbo eye pencil in "Taupe"!  It's more pinky-hued than Juju (almost a rose gold?) and so pretty!  You're actually the one who enabled me to try out the Sephora pencils and I love how ssmooooooth they are!

poshified

... aaaaand we're even once again on the enabling field! :smileyvery-happy:

spoiledbrat

Oh Poshy - How I love a beautiful taupe shadow.  Thank you for this post. :smileyhappy:
 I am making a list, but the Chanel will not be on it OMG! I am done with their singles b/c of the price and the tiny amount of product. :smileysad:  I have several that I love, but hit pan too quickly, so now I am rationing them. Dior has some beautiful taupes; less expensive and triple the amount of product!

Kiki, thank you for posting swatches. :smileyhappy:

poshified

(0) Hearts

You're welcome, sweets! :smileytongue:  And that Chanel plastic-y packaging... ahhh! Are the Dior taupes you're referring to from the Diorshow monos?

Nicrohr

Oooh great swatching and recs, thank you!

I like benefits cream shadow in No Pressure (which is called fawn, but I find it very neutral taupe -- NOT too warm!).  I can use it for simple eyes as well as to contour my nose and cheeks and jaw on a no-make up day.

poshified

(0) Hearts

Don't you just love those multi-tasking products? :smileyhappy: Benefit's cream shadows are some of the best, I think

calamityjane85

the color moondust from MUG looks like a great shade. Im not sure what qualifies as a taupe, to me a taupe is a flat neutral  shade, but I love the shades that have a sparkle of different colors.

upload_9213925242995801568.jpg

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 51 replies
  • 64 hearts
  • 18 in conversation
    • emmaclaire
    • spoiledbrat
    • Mystiques
    • drrragon
    • poshified