Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

In helping DoctorsMrs and others who have jumped on the No Buy for the rest of August wagon, I thought that rounding up a few regret purchases would be a good topic Smiley Happy

r.JPG

-Chantecaille Save the Sharks: Chantecaille makes some of the best eyeshadows and blushes, but this palette was an utter flop. The eyeshadows were extremely chalky and the blush color difficult to pick up, but the palette as a whole just clashed with my skintone.

-Sigma Paris palette: Wanting to support a couple of my favorite Youtube gurus who participated in the making of this palette, I bought this when it first came out. Let's just say Sigma should stick to brushes. The fall out is absolutely ridiculous and pigmentation is lacking!

-Buxom Pug cream shadow: This is an exact dupe of Chanel's Illusion D'ombre in Illusoire. The thing that makes it different is, well, the quality. This shadow not only popped out of the jar after just six months (and with proper storage) but has also a greasy film on top.

-NYX Butter Lip Glosses: Good grief! These were sticky, patchy, and just plain awful. On my lips, they pretty much just slip and slide. Am I the only one who finds these over-hyped??

-MAC Lady Gaga Lipglass: Having missed out on the lipstick, I thought it was a good idea to get the lip glass instead. Sticky like a Venus flytrap, MAC Lipglass has one of the worst lip gloss formulas. Not to mention, the color wasn't all that flattering.

Share away, BTers! Smiley Happy

Re: Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

This made me laugh so hard. Smiley Very Happy I can sympathize, I find myself longing for a MAC Spice lipliner (probably because I never got one in the 90s), but I cannot decide if it would actually be a good purchase, or if it would just indulge my inner high schooler, who did not feel nearly as cool as I now realize I was, primarily because of how uncool I am now.

OMG, you just nailed pretty much exactly my thought process looking at that palette and remembering longing to be as cool as Mrs. Mia Wallace/Uma Thurman. *high five*

(I, too, occasionally still wish I had a MAC Spice liner - I never had one back then, either. Uncool Grrls Unite!)

[ Edited ]

Makeup Forever HD Foundation : wreaked havoc upon my skin which has set my scarring back another five years! Decent coverage, buildeable foundation but made my skin greasy throughout the day and was just heavy & gross. Plus, I'm mad at myself for not realizing what was breaking me out sooner...annnd, I wasted my 20% off on this stupid set in November! Now, I'm on the quest for a new foundation or two.. -Soon to be Returned

Too Faced Bonjour Summer 2014 Palette : everything jokate said. The three lightest/highlight shades were so dry and patchy; they even developed this strange layer on top that had to be "broken" to get any pigment. The orange, green and pink were nowhere nearly as vibrant once applied and when blended out, they were so muddy and unattractive. The three brown shades were actually beautiful; the only decent part of the palette. -Returned

Urban Decay Naked 3 : I really like some of these shades, but there's a lot of fallout on application and throughout the day with these. One of the shades is just a pink-y, chunky glitter and the metallic/satin colours have too much of a sheen to them. I've been "forcing" myself to use this one. It has so much potential, so I suck it up and will use it up & keep away from UD in the future.

j'adore : I just bought it at the wrong time and now the memories associated with it are not so happy..

Sets with lipglosses in them : Last year, I only wore lip glosses. Now, I'm extremely picky about them and do not appreciate them encroaching upon my holiday/value sets.....self tanners, too.

(0) Hearts

I hate Naked3.  If I had paid for it instead of cashing in points on it, I'd be really pissed.  It just does nothing for my skintone and every shade makes me look muddy and gray.  I think I've used it 3 times?!

I'm totally with you on the lip glosses in GWP's/travel palettes. I used to wear a lot of lip gloss, but kind of quit it cold turkey when I hit 40, as I never found a formula I loved. I can also empathize with Naked 3; I wanted to love it, because the colors look so perfect for me in the pan, but since I've yet to gain confidence with dark shadows, the fact 3/4 of the palette is comprised of dark shadows should have put me off. I guess I got over-ambitious, and figured I'd get to grips with dark shades if I owned a few. This has yet to happen ...

Tarte BB Cream, I loved it when I first put it on but it settled into my pores and Turned powdery.

Stila lip gloss sets, I agree with everyone who mentioned them! They look so exciting but I find them sticky and patchy if they have any color at all!

All my loose pigments. In my dream life I know exactly how to use them, but in real life I don't have the time to figure them out.

Too Faced Bonjour Summer Eyes palette from summer 2015. I was so excited for a palette with neutrals plus a few pops of color. Instead I got three highlight shades with no pigment. Three dull colors that get muddy when blended. And three great brown shadows that are almost identical. Such cute packaging but so disappointing.

Bliss anti aging serum. I love the youth as we know it moisture cream, but this serum pills up under other moisturizers and makeup.

i love this thread!

I meant summer 2014!

(0) Hearts

I hate that Summer 2014 palette from 2014, too!

It's pretty bad when the three best shades in a palette are the brown ones.

That was my first palette return; it was completely useless to me and has sadly turned me off to the entire brand...

(0) Hearts

That palette made me cry!  I thought the one I was buying was ALa Mode eyes, but instead I got the more muted Bonjour Summer which was too muted to show up on my skintone.  

1. Sephora Color of the Year palette 2014 - Radiant Orchid.  I have no idea what to do with it.  I've tried it and the colors fade and couldn't make it work.  I think I've used it 3x.  
  2. Too Faced Melted lipstick in Villain.  I LOVE the color but I don't think I will ever wear it.  
  3. OCC Lip tars in Technopagan and Black Metal Dahlia.  Too much work.  I'm way too lazy to make these work properly.
  4. MAC BB cream.  It's way too orange and greasy for me but I keep using it.  I hate to throw out products.  
  5. MAC Carbon eyeshadow.  Oy. 

I feel like there's more but these are the ones that really make me sigh, especially that dang palette.  I just stare at it sometimes.  So much potential!  

I love lip tars! 

I do too! I really want Black Metal Dahlia but it's been OOS for a long time. Smiley Sad 

(0) Hearts

i wanted the lip pencil. also oos. >Smiley Surprised

(0) Hearts

I can so empathize on the lip tar thing - I got one in a GWP, and realized fast I was never going to be able to apply it, so I gave it to my current au pair! Smiley Wink

Oh word - there are quite a few I could list but I will limit it to things I'm holding onto because I fell too bad to get rid of them. I'm glad to read that I'm not alone. 

1. Clairisonic: This was a particularly expensive mistake. It really hasn't done much for my skin; I can get the same effects from a good face polish.

2.  Josie Maran Lip Conditioner (in that adorable little jar): The little jar is to die for adorable, but I have horribly dry/chapped lips and this kind of just sits on top and never gives me any improvement. 

3. PTR Rose Stem Cell Bio-Repair Gel Mask: I feel like I just sucked up into the packaging and wording for this but it never really did anything for me. 

4. NARS Matte Foundation: This. Looked. Bad. On. Me. 

5. Philosophy - Detoxify: The Oxygen Peel: I actually really like this product and it works well but I'm sad to say the majority of the time I am just too lazy to bother with it. Plus, it is messy and I can never get it the same consistency. 

(0) Hearts

I agree with the Clarisonic. I watched countless youtube videos and after months of deliberating I decided to purchase it. My skin HATED daily use, and using it once or twice a week means I am pretty much better off just using a weekly exfoliating treatment. I much prefer my boscia tsubaki exfoliating powder for that job. I still use the clarisonic occasionally, just out of guilt :/

Clinique eye shadow - I have several quads that I NEVER use.

Drugstore false lashes - I thought they would work but they were overwhelming.

Fractionated Coconut Oil - from Amazon... wanted to use it for eye makeup remover at the suggestion of my esthetician but found the drugstore oil free dual phase one works way faster.

Drugstore lip glosses - I never use them.

Soap & Glory - sexy mother pucker lip gloss.  Tastes terrible and doesn't do much for my lips.

TARTE Neutral EYES Volume II eye shadow palette - never use it.

I have become the automatic designated person for every eyeshadow that comes in a Clinique GWP for my family. I will never ever EVER again make the mistake of saying "Oh, this one is pretty, I'll take it since you don't want it." to my mom or aunt. I'm hoping that they will slow down on their buying so I can use the TWENTY mascara deluxe samples before they add another half dozen to the pile.

If I didn't keep receiving 'gifts' of Clinique's eyeshadows, I don't think I could bring myself to buy any. I'm not sure why they ok'd a lot of the colors and grouped them the way they have for their latest quads and duos, and especially without much in the way of mattes.

A couple of these GWP shadows are going to be tossed out with the trash - the ones that came with a sponge tip applicator are already gone because the shadow started to get discolored quickly. I have - thanks to Clinique's odd color choices - determined that I look like I've got pinkeye or some other rash around my eyes when I put on any medium-deep pink eyeshadow, which is not a good look.

[ Edited ]

Oh this is an easy one for me!  

6-7 years worth of Stila's holiday lipgloss sets, even though I almost never wear lipgloss.  

2014 was the year I finally rid myself of this awful habit, and I'm happier for it.

ETA: Also, Duwop Circle Block.  So many people recommended this to me when it came out, but it was the grossest, greasiest feeling undereye concealer ever, and it totally did not help my skintone.

(0) Hearts

I also bought too many Stila lipgloss sets (more than 5) and regret it. At least I liked one color very much. One out of nine from the holiday set Smiley Tongue

I share your Stila lipgloss regret! The worst part is that I mentioned to my sister-in-law that I'd bought some one year and the colours were pretty, and now every Christmas she buys me some new ones. Now I have to make a point to use one every time I'm seeing her and I'm reminded of how much I dislike them. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments