Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

poshified

Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

In helping DoctorsMrs and others who have jumped on the No Buy for the rest of August wagon, I thought that rounding up a few regret purchases would be a good topic :smileyhappy:

r.JPG

-Chantecaille Save the Sharks: Chantecaille makes some of the best eyeshadows and blushes, but this palette was an utter flop. The eyeshadows were extremely chalky and the blush color difficult to pick up, but the palette as a whole just clashed with my skintone.

-Sigma Paris palette: Wanting to support a couple of my favorite Youtube gurus who participated in the making of this palette, I bought this when it first came out. Let's just say Sigma should stick to brushes. The fall out is absolutely ridiculous and pigmentation is lacking!

-Buxom Pug cream shadow: This is an exact dupe of Chanel's Illusion D'ombre in Illusoire. The thing that makes it different is, well, the quality. This shadow not only popped out of the jar after just six months (and with proper storage) but has also a greasy film on top.

-NYX Butter Lip Glosses: Good grief! These were sticky, patchy, and just plain awful. On my lips, they pretty much just slip and slide. Am I the only one who finds these over-hyped??

-MAC Lady Gaga Lipglass: Having missed out on the lipstick, I thought it was a good idea to get the lip glass instead. Sticky like a Venus flytrap, MAC Lipglass has one of the worst lip gloss formulas. Not to mention, the color wasn't all that flattering.

Share away, BTers! :smileyhappy:

serioustree

Re: Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

I totally returned mine too! I only liked their duo fibre!

bgirling

Lipglass turned me off of lip gloss for years...

poshified

(0) Hearts

Same here!

solveig

The only purchase I sort of regret is Tarte's Puttin' On The Glitz collection (3 of 6 eyeshadow+blush/highlighter/bronzer palettes, an evening clutch where you can attach one of the palettes for touch-ups, and a lip gloss).

tarte_putonglit.jpg

The eyeshadows are okay, but not the best quality-wise, the only way to make them work is with a primer. Of the three face products - blush, bronzer and highlighter - I only use the blush, the other two do not suit my skin tone at all. The lipgloss is terrible - super sticky but doesn't last more than 30 minutes on me. And the whole idea with palettes attachable to the purse - who takes a whole palette of eyeshadow when they're going out? Certainly not me. The good thing is that I got it on sale and also used some kind of discount with that purchase, so I don't feel like it was a terrible waste of money.

poshified

(0) Hearts

I think Tarte puts the same Park Ave princess bronzer and highlighter in EVERY palette/value set/etc. Kinda annoying!

hydee77

[ Edited ]

I agree that the MAC lipglass formula is terrible.  It's so sticky that it's almost unbearable.

Another thing I regret purchasing is any Tarte eyeshadow palette, their eyeshadows are so chalky and just weird.

A third thing was a Body Shop hand lotion, it gave me the worst allergic reaction which came to me as a complete surprise because I never once had a reaction to anything.  My hands looked scaly like a turtle's limbs (except they weren't green, thank gosh for that..lol).

That sucks about the Buxom cream shadow, I just received it the other day in the "Headliners" collection that was on sale.

poshified

(0) Hearts

Their powder shadows could use a little help, but their cream and shadow sticks are awesome!

I saw that Buxom set too! It's a good deal still and the shade is still gorgeous. I just wished it has a longer shelf life :smileyhappy:

magrat22

[ Edited ]

Bare Minerals, the original. It made my skin itch and although it looked great on I couldn't get it off quick enough.

Too Faced - Natural Eye Shadow, the glitter irritated my sensitive skin.  Again I love the look but couldn't wear it.

Almay CC Cream - Non existant coverage and a greasy feel (and I have dry skin) just not nice. 

Lancome - anything, everything I've tried has had way too much fragrance.  Their lipsticks give me a sore throate.  Eyeshadows itch my eyes.  Yes I'm the princess of makeup if I don't react to it no one does..lol.

Because I have such sensitive skin I tend to get testers of everything so don't have many bad products.  For skin care I really like La Roche Posay as it works well with my skin but have never found a foundation in a drugstore that looked good on me.  One of my favs is Chanel Vitalumiere, I only wish they had more options as the lightest is slightly too yellow for me but the foundation is perfect for my dry skin.  

Love this post. Great to see what others don't like and help me know what to avoid.  Thanks poshified :smileyhappy:

poshified

(0) Hearts

I wasn't a fan of the Natural Eye Shadow nor the Natural At Night palettes. The glitterbomb was too much to handle for me. Great to help out all you BTers whenever I can :smileyhappy:

waterbaby1981

My top five regret purchases:

1. Purity (made my face break out, which NEVER happens.  Ever.)

2. Any of Dior's mascaras, including their Lash Maximizer.  Hello, allergic reaction!  Couldn't wear eye makeup for a couple of days.

3. MUFE Aqua Rouge lipstick.  Great opaque color in one coat, but if you eat anything that has any oil in it, it will come off and bleed.  Just found this out this afternoon with a ham, turkey and white cheddar sandwich, actually.  Put my napkin to my lips and it came away with quite a bit of color.  Not cool.

4. Clinique CC Cream.  Again, great idea in concept.  However, it's too much like their BB cream.  Hard to spread, much less blend evenly.  It will look great when I leave the house, but by the time I get to my parents' house 10 minutes away, there are obvious patches where the color SHOULD have been blended.  I get the feeling that particular product is better for oily skin rather than dry.  Even when putting the moisture surge moisturizer on right beforehand, it only blended marginally better.

5. Chanel de Volume mascara.  Great volume...if it didn't smudge and clump like crazy.  Honestly, two best mascaras I've used are Buxom Lash and Bare Escentuals Flawless Definition Volumizing Mascara.  Perfect combo of length and volume.  With no smudging.

I'm sure I have a TON more that I regret purchasing.  The Aqua Shadow, likely.  I don't know, my Urban Decay eye pencil shadows are easier to blend.  With skincare, the products I use now for makeup removal and cleansing are all HG status. 

poshified

(0) Hearts

Chanel Volume mascara did absolutely nothing for me. Waterproof or not!

poshified

One of my all-time favorite lipsticks is actually from Estee Lauder, called Tiger Eye! But that smell... ughh no, definitely not fig. Whoever came up with the smell must not have an intact olfactory sense! lol

mpolansky

Isn't it amazing how much a bad smell can completely ruin an otherwise good product?

latinadiva

Reminds me of when I went to buy NARS Turkish Delight. The taste and smell made me want to throw up, I literally had to get it off my lips the second I put it on! And I was so bummed because looking past taste and smell, it looked great.

poshified

I really think that MAC tries to make up for its less-than-stellar lipsticks by infusing them with the vanilla scent :smileytongue:

HMNewbie

SK-II bought into the whole line - I mean all of it.  By the time I got to the bottom, I found out some of the strong stuff (whatever their secret ingredient is) settles to the bottom.  Too much of it and it eats the skin off your face.  Yeah.  I went there.

Origins - I understand it works pretty well for preventative maintenance on younger skin, but didn't do much for my aging skin.

Fresh - same reasoning as Origins

D & G Foundation Perfect Finish Creamy - heavy, heavy, heavy.  And it slid off my face.

Not too many Bobbi Brown products have worked for me either.  I don't know if my skin's just difficult or I'm just picky. 

roxystar4

ive tried SK-II and wasnt impressed either

poshified

(0) Hearts

And SKII is expensive as heck too! I've learned to steer clear of Bobbi Brown palettes period!

calamityjane85

I thought Benefit They're real was a bust as well, I just dont see the hype.

spoiledbrat

TOTALLY agree about They're Real; its real awful and clumpy. Benefit is a bust all around since LVMH purchased them and same with philosophy since Coty purchased them. Awful.

poshified

(0) Hearts

It's ok, but definitely not mindblowingly amazing! :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 285 replies
  • 437 hearts
  • 74 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll