Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

In helping DoctorsMrs and others who have jumped on the No Buy for the rest of August wagon, I thought that rounding up a few regret purchases would be a good topic Smiley Happy

r.JPG

-Chantecaille Save the Sharks: Chantecaille makes some of the best eyeshadows and blushes, but this palette was an utter flop. The eyeshadows were extremely chalky and the blush color difficult to pick up, but the palette as a whole just clashed with my skintone.

-Sigma Paris palette: Wanting to support a couple of my favorite Youtube gurus who participated in the making of this palette, I bought this when it first came out. Let's just say Sigma should stick to brushes. The fall out is absolutely ridiculous and pigmentation is lacking!

-Buxom Pug cream shadow: This is an exact dupe of Chanel's Illusion D'ombre in Illusoire. The thing that makes it different is, well, the quality. This shadow not only popped out of the jar after just six months (and with proper storage) but has also a greasy film on top.

-NYX Butter Lip Glosses: Good grief! These were sticky, patchy, and just plain awful. On my lips, they pretty much just slip and slide. Am I the only one who finds these over-hyped??

-MAC Lady Gaga Lipglass: Having missed out on the lipstick, I thought it was a good idea to get the lip glass instead. Sticky like a Venus flytrap, MAC Lipglass has one of the worst lip gloss formulas. Not to mention, the color wasn't all that flattering.

Share away, BTers! Smiley Happy

Re: Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

I love Chubby Sticks too! (But I think the name is silly.) They are so great for on the go.

(0) Hearts

I wish Clinique's formula was like Dior's, ie more moisturizing. I definitely would stock up on that if that were the case Smiley Happy

@joeanne, I think it just hammers home the fact that different things work for different people. We're all pretty good at giving each other guidance and advice but there simply are no products that work for every person.

So many people say that Orgasm is too sparkly. I wear it at least 3 days a week and I swear I do not see sparkles on my face.

I tried Orgasm in the store and loved the color. I tried it at home and loved it. I work at a school and am in natural light a lot so I checked it outside and loved it. Then my husband asked me why I had sparkles on my skin and I panicked! I kept looking in every mirror and just wasn't sure. Now 10 years ago I wouldn't really care, but at 58, I really am beyond sparkles, so to be safe, I gave it to my daughter, and it looks beautiful on her. I really fell in love with the color though. I'm just glad she can use it!

Deep Throat is also Orgasm's less shimmery, lighter sister Smiley Happy

@joeanne,  since you loved the color you might want to check out the NARS shade Amour. It's often referred to as Orgasm minus the sparkles. I own it and it does look very similar in the pan. It applies pretty close as well, although I need to use a lighter hand.

(0) Hearts

I'll have to check out Deep Throat and Amour. I really did love the color.

I love Orgasm too! I don't think it is sparkly either.

I loved the naked 1 palette, so I don't know why, but I bought the two-faced natural eye palette. The shadows had so much fall out, its just sitting on my desk never to be used... I got a limited edition palette from clinique, and as much as I like the colors in it, I never find myself reaching for it at all.. I also really dont understand the hype on the EOS lip balms. they don't ever make my lips feel soft or anything-Im sticking to my Smiths Rosebud salve!

(0) Hearts

Something in the eos lip balm made my lips really itchy and kinda swelled up a little. I also don't understand the hype with the Burt's bees lip balms. It felt like it never really sinks in...

Since I'm on a lip balm trend, I also don't get the hype with the korres lip butters or the jack black lip balms. I kinda like ones fresh sugar ones but they're just a little too pricey for what they are. I basically haven't found any lip balm that makes my lips soft without having  to reapply every 3-4 hours Smiley Sad

EOS only serves one purpose: to be displayed Smiley Happy

I like the Eos lip balm because of the smell and they aren't very heavy. I also like the fact it's a ball and I like to play with it in my coat pocket. 

My fiance also hates the EOS lip balms, when I used to have one the shape really messed with him and reminded him of a boiled egg.

I threw my Too Faced Natural palette away.  The fall out was unreal.  I have other palettes from Too Faced that work just fine for me.

(0) Hearts

Darn! I really adore the colors, now I'm hesitate on purchasing it if it has too much fallout Smiley Sad

I don't like the EOS lip balms either!

I LOVE Smith's Rosebud salve. Best thing for the lips ever!

[ Edited ]

1) Smashbox Photo Finish Light Primer:  The primer was supposed to be for people with oily/combination skin. It was horrible, made me an oily mess and it didn't keep my foundation on any longer, even with a setting spray. I ended up giving it to my mom who has dryer skin and it works for her.

2) Josie Maran Argan Cheek and Lip Color Stick Set: The worse smelling product ever. Plus the color was hard to blend into the skin (I only used it as a cheek stain once). The smell was so bad, I washed it throughout the day. I returned the next day.

3) Truth Serum® Vitamin C Collagen Booster: I have pretty sensitive skin and it made me break out. I had an allergic reaction to the Vitamin C. I ended up returning this as well. 

4) Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder: I just got it this week and I really don't see a difference. I got it as a highlighter because the sales associate who did my makeover suggested it. I bought it instead of another highlighter I had my eye on. I don't know how or what to do with this product exactly... 

5) Bobbi Brown Gel Eyeliner: My eyes water pretty easily- wind, sunlight, allergies, etc. and the eyeliner runs like no other. And if it doesn't run, after a while it will start flaking off my eyelids. 

(0) Hearts

Is it bad for me to say that I don't care for Josie Maran's line? I know a lot of folks swear by her argan oil and all but, as a whole, I haven't been too terribly impressed by one single item from the brand. And, boy, flaking gel liner?? That's never good!

The same thing happened to me with the OH serum ... it made my face feel smooth and sticky in a weird way, and then I started breaking out.

Smashbox Photo Finish Light is my favorite primer. I play with others but always come back.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments