poshified

Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

In helping DoctorsMrs and others who have jumped on the No Buy for the rest of August wagon, I thought that rounding up a few regret purchases would be a good topic :smileyhappy:

r.JPG

-Chantecaille Save the Sharks: Chantecaille makes some of the best eyeshadows and blushes, but this palette was an utter flop. The eyeshadows were extremely chalky and the blush color difficult to pick up, but the palette as a whole just clashed with my skintone.

-Sigma Paris palette: Wanting to support a couple of my favorite Youtube gurus who participated in the making of this palette, I bought this when it first came out. Let's just say Sigma should stick to brushes. The fall out is absolutely ridiculous and pigmentation is lacking!

-Buxom Pug cream shadow: This is an exact dupe of Chanel's Illusion D'ombre in Illusoire. The thing that makes it different is, well, the quality. This shadow not only popped out of the jar after just six months (and with proper storage) but has also a greasy film on top.

-NYX Butter Lip Glosses: Good grief! These were sticky, patchy, and just plain awful. On my lips, they pretty much just slip and slide. Am I the only one who finds these over-hyped??

-MAC Lady Gaga Lipglass: Having missed out on the lipstick, I thought it was a good idea to get the lip glass instead. Sticky like a Venus flytrap, MAC Lipglass has one of the worst lip gloss formulas. Not to mention, the color wasn't all that flattering.

Share away, BTers! :smileyhappy:

SirenPrincess

Re: Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

• Maybelline Colossal Lash Mascara--Colossal failure, maybe
  • Maybelline Bouncy Blush--Apparently bouncy means bounces away like gum so you can't put it on
  • Jan Marini C-esta--I LOVE Jan Marini's line, but this stuff smells like something died in it.

All 3 of those ended up in the trash.

poshified

(0) Hearts

I see a trend with Maybelline mascaras! :smileyhappy: To be honest, Full and Soft is one of my all-time favorites, but I do notice that their mascaras tend to dry faster than other brands.

linda84

NARS Bolero matte lip pencil- pretty color, but I definitely need a lip gloss over. Otherwise, it is a bit plain and a bit drying.

Tarte BB cream-It offered a great deal of coverage, but it set to a powder finish. I was not a fan. I like a dewy finish. It was also very greasy feeling when I applied it with my hands.

Maybelline plush mascara-Horrible. I am unsure if I hate it because I accidentally picked up the waterproof version, but it makes my lashes feel hard and disgusting. Very flakey as well.

Origins Make a Difference treatment-I wanted something more natural in place of my Shiseido Pureness Gel. The Origins rep recommended this, but it was a fail. It is definitely not as hydrating and needs to be used over a serum. Lovely smell though!

Maybelline Color Tattoo Metal in Barely Branded-HORRIBLE. Looks beautiful in the pot, but on the lid it does nothing. It creases horribly and has begun to break off into bits inside the pot. I hate it!

poshified

(0) Hearts

Maybelline megaplush mascara was a joke. If by plush, it meant weighing my lashes down, then Maybelline has done its job. Quite well.

linda84

Right?!! I hear so many people rave about it though. I do not get it.

AmelieLandry

Got more to add:

Essie Butler, Please- I've had good luck with most of my Essie polishes, but this one is horrendous. It chips, it streaks, it just makes me wish I could get it over because the color is gorgeous but no.

WnW Fergie Tonight's Gonna Be a Good Night nail polish- Like with Essie I've had good luck with most of my WnW purchases but... not with this one. I was under the impression that this was dark black with gold glitter. Instead it's a dark grey jelly with gold glitter. I didn't want to bother with black undies because, well, I wanted opaque black, so I returned it. Lesson learned: look up swatches first.

Jordana eyeliner pencil in white- total waste of a buck. It's so hard that I cannot use this on my waterline, let alone anywhere else on my face. At least, not unless I want to feel pain. Now that I have nude eyeliner and NYX milk I'm trashing this.

MAC Quite Cute lipstick- I actually love MAC lipstick (it's so comfortable to me) and while I like this I don't wear it enough to justify its purchase.

WnW Think Pink lipstick- I like the actual product (I have a few more from the line because of this); I just think this shade is too warm on me so it looks weird when I paint my lips.

Pretty much all of my foundations ever- I cannot find a good foundation for me. They are often too dark, or cause cystic acne (and I'm already very acne prone), or don't last too long, or cause my oily face to practically drip crap from my pores... I want to try a powder one now.

Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Lip Stain in Darling- doesn't really show on my lips :smileysad:

poshified

I really want Essie polishes to work for me, but every single one I've tried chips within a day on me :\. It's too bad since Essie has a wide color range!

rikkie

I recently tried Dazzle Dry, which has a set with a nail prep thing, a base coat and a top coat (plus colored polishes too, but I didn't try them) and it has actually blown me away. It's kind of pricey, but you can subscribe to emails on their site or make an account or something and they will give you $5 off your first purchase. I did my nails a week ago and could go unload the dishwasher and refill it within a couple of minutes without worrying about ruining my polish. It still looks like I just walked out of a salon, except that my nails have grown out a bit. I used Sephora by OPI polish between the base coat and the top coat, and my nails are on the weak side, so polish usually chips off very easily when they bend. I'm really really impressed with it. 

poshified

Oooh thank you for the heads up and tip! I'll be sure to check it out! I'm pretty rough on my nails as well, lol.

StraightRhodes

I actually love the Benefit They're Real Mascara. I think that's a product you either love or you hate.

AmelieLandry

Yeah, if the sample shows anything I personally like it. It just works for my needs and chemistry. But of course your milage may vary.

kissXmakeup

SO. MANY. EYESHADOWS. I keep trying to make up excuses as to why I need yet another neutral eye palette to add to the 12 I already own. My boyfriend just laughs. 

poshified

You can never have enough eyeshadows, dear! Especially not neutral ones :smileyvery-happy:

staringatstars

[ Edited ]

1. They're Real Mascara-one of the worst mascaras I have ever used.  Gave me spidery lashes and didn't volumize at all! 

2. UD setting spray-I own the one that is supposed to keep your face matte.  I haven't noticed a difference at all and I use it often just to use it up.

3. Benefit lipgloss- Ever so sticky even though I like the color

4. YSL Rouge Volupte shine in shade 1- It just appears really streaky on my lips and not as opaque as the others I own

5. Dior show mascara- Too wet of a formula on me and not worth the price

poshified

UD Setting Sprays do nothing for me either. I prefer setting with a light powder dusting.

JGSFLA

NARS Turkish Delight..I heard so much about it..but on me it looks HORRIBLE lol!

poshified

We can all thank Kim K for the Turkish Delight hype :smileywink:

JGSFLA

lol exactly!!!

jenpred

[ Edited ]

• Bliss FabuLips Kit - I don't use it as often as I thought I would, and I've had it for about a year now. The cleanser and balm are fantastic, though, but it doesn't justify the price.
  • Benefit Powda Wowza Face Powders - I can't remember if I ever mentioned this one on BT. The quality of this blush palette doesn't seem to be as good as the full size blushes. This has Hoola, Bella Bamba, and Coralista.
  • BM All-Over Face Color in True - Too shimmery, only used it once. The glitter particles are too gritty for me, and it emphasizes my pores. The rose gold color is so beautiful, though.
  • NYX Blush in Taupe - I thought this would be a decent dupe for Chanel's Ombre Contrast Sculpting Veil in Notorious, but it just sucked in my opinion (I know this works great for others). The pigmentation is lackluster, and it is such a hassle to actually pick up the color; I may have just received a bad apple, but it was really disappointing.
  • MAC 134 Large Face Powder Brush - In my opinion, completely over-hyped. For $54, this brush should NOT shed or be scratchy after washing! I still use it because it's my only large powder brush, although I am on the hunt for a good one.
poshified

MAC 182 kabuki/buffer brush was my first and last MAC brush. That thing sheds like no tomorrow!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 285 replies
  • 437 hearts
  • 74 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • prosopon
    • hydee77
    • spoiledbrat
    • melisa16