Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

In helping DoctorsMrs and others who have jumped on the No Buy for the rest of August wagon, I thought that rounding up a few regret purchases would be a good topic :smileyhappy:

r.JPG

-Chantecaille Save the Sharks: Chantecaille makes some of the best eyeshadows and blushes, but this palette was an utter flop. The eyeshadows were extremely chalky and the blush color difficult to pick up, but the palette as a whole just clashed with my skintone.

-Sigma Paris palette: Wanting to support a couple of my favorite Youtube gurus who participated in the making of this palette, I bought this when it first came out. Let's just say Sigma should stick to brushes. The fall out is absolutely ridiculous and pigmentation is lacking!

-Buxom Pug cream shadow: This is an exact dupe of Chanel's Illusion D'ombre in Illusoire. The thing that makes it different is, well, the quality. This shadow not only popped out of the jar after just six months (and with proper storage) but has also a greasy film on top.

-NYX Butter Lip Glosses: Good grief! These were sticky, patchy, and just plain awful. On my lips, they pretty much just slip and slide. Am I the only one who finds these over-hyped??

-MAC Lady Gaga Lipglass: Having missed out on the lipstick, I thought it was a good idea to get the lip glass instead. Sticky like a Venus flytrap, MAC Lipglass has one of the worst lip gloss formulas. Not to mention, the color wasn't all that flattering.

Share away, BTers! :smileyhappy:

Re: Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

I've been using dry shampoos for a long time and have tried many different ones- the alterna was the only one that made my hair look a weird grey color!!! Especially in photographs!

(0) Hearts

ooh wait nebel, i just reread your first sentence.  which dry shampoos did you like and would recommend?

Have you tried the Ojon spray? I LOVE IT! http://www.sephora.com/full-detox-rub-out-dry-cleansing-spray-P189304?skuId=1326149

I've tried a lot, but always go back to Ojon. Something about the smell, texture, and no need to blast with a blow dryer if in a rush keeps me loyal. I always buy the small once since I get tempted to try other brands, but I reach for Ojon the most. & It doesn't aggravate dry oil patches in the winter. 

I really like No Drought by LUSH, and that's my go-to.  It has a nice lime-citrus scent and it isn't so finely milled as to give that weird white dust, but I think it does a good job making hair manageable and oil-free!  Before LUSH, I used the oscar blandi one, which I liked the consistency of but didn't like the scent as much.

thanks!  I will check those out :smileyhappy:

(0) Hearts

yikes!  that is not cool

Look at those stupid roots! I swear they weren't that color in normal lighting! Thanks for nothing, Alterna!  At least this photo makes it look like I'm rocking a very bizarre raspberry ombre.  (I'm on the left !) swfupload_5043590373451947670.jpg

yow, that is pretty bad - thanks for the tip! on the positive side, you are super pretty and your makeup looks professionally done :smileyhappy:

Aww, thank you!!  I am wearing the Tarte 12 hr amazonian clay foundation and mineral powder to set it.  I'm kicking myself for not remembering the blush, the lipstick is Marc Jacobs Sabateur

which foundation are you wearing?

You look gorgeous, Nebel! :smileyhappy:

Thanks, beautiful!!  Quality makeup can salvage a dry shampoo disaster :smileywink:

That deep raspberry looks great on you!  Is it something you do often, or a one time thing?

(0) Hearts

I'm much more of a purple person: this is faded out manic panic.  My stylist recently moved away so I've had to switch to MP to get me through long periods of him not coloring my hair :smileyhappy:  I like the raspberry, though!

My hair is jet black and as soon as I applied the Alterna dry shampoo and I was like NOPE! Not going to work for me! I had to dampen my hair to get it out.

I had issues with the Better Than Sex Mascara too! I have the small trial size from the promo code & just started using it. It doesn't full y dry, so I keep getting marks on my brow bone & it's volumous on one coat, but if you try to add more to catch stray lashes it gets really clumpy. 

@dannyc,  Thanks for the heads up. I got the promo too but might not even try it now. It's not worth the risk of messing up my eye makeup.

NARS Lip Gloss (Striptease) - I did not like how it looked on my lips with my skintone. It would be great for someone who is very tan and does a dramatic eye like Kim Kardashian. The fragrance smells and tastes a little on the chemical side as well. It wasn't too sticky though, which I liked. 

Anastasia Brow Powder Duo - For the price, I'd rather take good ole Maybelline shadow and use a brow brush to fill in the sparse areas of my brows. The Anastasia one does not last as long either. However, I do like the brow gel! One of my favs for brows right now.

Dior Addict Lip Glow - Again, for the price I was expecting something magical. This did not enhance my lip color nor did it moisturize my lips too much. It doesn't last all but a good 30 minutes on my anyway. I'll stick to Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment in Rose instead :smileyhappy:

Amazing Concealer - The formula is too wet for my taste and the shades oxidize on me. 

UD 24/7 Concealer Pencil - No no no! This pencil goes to complete waste as you have to sharpen it. Not only do you have to sharpen it, it's IMPOSSIBLE to sharpen because of it's plastic outer casing. The formula was dry enough to my liking, but did not last long enough. A good 2-3 hours at best. Revlon's Photoready concealer is a great dupe that has twist-up packaging, and it lasts LONGER!

Dior Addict Lip Glow turned my lips fuschia -- not cool, Dior, not cool!

Haha I wouldn't have minded if my lips were turned fuschia, instead it was just a regular ole lip balm to me. 

I agree with the UD Concealer, it made a mess of my sharpener too 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments