poshified

Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

In helping DoctorsMrs and others who have jumped on the No Buy for the rest of August wagon, I thought that rounding up a few regret purchases would be a good topic :smileyhappy:

r.JPG

-Chantecaille Save the Sharks: Chantecaille makes some of the best eyeshadows and blushes, but this palette was an utter flop. The eyeshadows were extremely chalky and the blush color difficult to pick up, but the palette as a whole just clashed with my skintone.

-Sigma Paris palette: Wanting to support a couple of my favorite Youtube gurus who participated in the making of this palette, I bought this when it first came out. Let's just say Sigma should stick to brushes. The fall out is absolutely ridiculous and pigmentation is lacking!

-Buxom Pug cream shadow: This is an exact dupe of Chanel's Illusion D'ombre in Illusoire. The thing that makes it different is, well, the quality. This shadow not only popped out of the jar after just six months (and with proper storage) but has also a greasy film on top.

-NYX Butter Lip Glosses: Good grief! These were sticky, patchy, and just plain awful. On my lips, they pretty much just slip and slide. Am I the only one who finds these over-hyped??

-MAC Lady Gaga Lipglass: Having missed out on the lipstick, I thought it was a good idea to get the lip glass instead. Sticky like a Venus flytrap, MAC Lipglass has one of the worst lip gloss formulas. Not to mention, the color wasn't all that flattering.

Share away, BTers! :smileyhappy:

Spyski

Re: Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

I agree, it's purpose is to define each lash which then look very sparse. Lancome mascaras have a much more drier consistency than alot of others out there on the market. I actually prefer a drier consistency than a wet formula, but the shelf life is a wee bit shorter with those :smileysad: I tried all the Lancome mascaras as samples, and my favorite is the doll lashes if I had to pick.

poshified

(0) Hearts

I asked one Lancome SA why they never included WP formulas in their GWP, and she said it was because they were of drier formulas and, thus, dry out quicker. I personally wouldn't mind a mascara sample that dries out faster than one that does absolutely nothing to my lashes, ie Definicils. Have you tried the Hypnose Star? That one is quite nice too!

Spyski

Ah, I noticed alot of companies don't send out WP samples which annoys me a tad since it's a totally different feel sometimes compared to their regular formulas. I tried the Hypnose Star last Wednesday and it just didn't "wow" me like the Doll.

kimchikween

Oooo...glad I saw this.  I had been thinking about the Definicils mascara because of so many good reviews and people swearing by it.

poshified

(0) Hearts

Skip Definicils. I don't know why it's still in the Lancome line-up to be honest.

melisa16

I agree with the Urban Decay shadows,  I feel like all 3 palettes fro mm the Naked line are not that good, at that time I was impressed,  but now never reach for them.

onomotopoeia9

I love the colors of the naked pallets (I have all three). For some reason, no matter what I do with primers and setting sprays, they do not stay on nicely. I continue to use because it looks awesome in the beginning and I also feel like I have to get my $'s worth...

DTalksAll

I didn't like Dandelion either. I thought of it more as a finishing powder, but really wasn't a fan. I do like Coralista though! Very similar to NARS Orgasm 

LKuhle

1. Philosophy Purity Made Simple Cleanser - I just don't get it. It doesn't do anything for me whatsoever and I much prefer my drugstore cleanser.

2. Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara - Oh my god, someone explain the love for this new mascara because I almost threw it in the trash after I used it. It's so goopy and clumpy that it gave me instant spider lashes and actually made my short lashes stick to my eyelid... it was awful.

3. Benefit They're Real Mascara - This one is better than the one above, but I'm still not a huge fan and I don't get the hype. I think it's the plastic applicator... I much prefer wands with a little grip since I have such short, thin lashes.

4. Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Dry Shampoo - It didn't really do much for my day two/three/four hair. Plus, no matter how much I rubbed it into my scalp, the white powder always left my brown hair looking grey and dull. I much prefer sprays to this.

5. Carol's Daughter Monoi Reparing Split End Sealer - Didn't do anything for my split ends at all. I didn't notice the slightest difference so this one went right back to the store.\

BONUS: UD's Naked 2 Palette. I'm listing this one because I really wish I had gotten the original Naked instead. Naked 2 is too cool toned for me.

poshified

(0) Hearts

I thought about adding the TF Better Than Sex mascara as a promo in my cart a few times. Glad I didn't!

drrragon

Yeah I don't get the Alterna Dry Shampoo either!  All it did was make my hair a little bit sticky.  What is the deal? :smileysad:

nebel

I've been using dry shampoos for a long time and have tried many different ones- the alterna was the only one that made my hair look a weird grey color!!! Especially in photographs!

drrragon

(0) Hearts

ooh wait nebel, i just reread your first sentence.  which dry shampoos did you like and would recommend?

DTalksAll

Have you tried the Ojon spray? I LOVE IT! http://www.sephora.com/full-detox-rub-out-dry-cleansing-spray-P189304?skuId=1326149

I've tried a lot, but always go back to Ojon. Something about the smell, texture, and no need to blast with a blow dryer if in a rush keeps me loyal. I always buy the small once since I get tempted to try other brands, but I reach for Ojon the most. & It doesn't aggravate dry oil patches in the winter. 

nebel

I really like No Drought by LUSH, and that's my go-to.  It has a nice lime-citrus scent and it isn't so finely milled as to give that weird white dust, but I think it does a good job making hair manageable and oil-free!  Before LUSH, I used the oscar blandi one, which I liked the consistency of but didn't like the scent as much.

drrragon

thanks!  I will check those out :smileyhappy:

drrragon

(0) Hearts

yikes!  that is not cool

nebel

Look at those stupid roots! I swear they weren't that color in normal lighting! Thanks for nothing, Alterna!  At least this photo makes it look like I'm rocking a very bizarre raspberry ombre.  (I'm on the left !) swfupload_5043590373451947670.jpg

onomotopoeia9

yow, that is pretty bad - thanks for the tip! on the positive side, you are super pretty and your makeup looks professionally done :smileyhappy:

nebel

Aww, thank you!!  I am wearing the Tarte 12 hr amazonian clay foundation and mineral powder to set it.  I'm kicking myself for not remembering the blush, the lipstick is Marc Jacobs Sabateur

onomotopoeia9

which foundation are you wearing?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 285 replies
  • 443 hearts
  • 74 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • prosopon