poshified

Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

In helping DoctorsMrs and others who have jumped on the No Buy for the rest of August wagon, I thought that rounding up a few regret purchases would be a good topic :smileyhappy:

r.JPG

-Chantecaille Save the Sharks: Chantecaille makes some of the best eyeshadows and blushes, but this palette was an utter flop. The eyeshadows were extremely chalky and the blush color difficult to pick up, but the palette as a whole just clashed with my skintone.

-Sigma Paris palette: Wanting to support a couple of my favorite Youtube gurus who participated in the making of this palette, I bought this when it first came out. Let's just say Sigma should stick to brushes. The fall out is absolutely ridiculous and pigmentation is lacking!

-Buxom Pug cream shadow: This is an exact dupe of Chanel's Illusion D'ombre in Illusoire. The thing that makes it different is, well, the quality. This shadow not only popped out of the jar after just six months (and with proper storage) but has also a greasy film on top.

-NYX Butter Lip Glosses: Good grief! These were sticky, patchy, and just plain awful. On my lips, they pretty much just slip and slide. Am I the only one who finds these over-hyped??

-MAC Lady Gaga Lipglass: Having missed out on the lipstick, I thought it was a good idea to get the lip glass instead. Sticky like a Venus flytrap, MAC Lipglass has one of the worst lip gloss formulas. Not to mention, the color wasn't all that flattering.

Share away, BTers! :smileyhappy:

poshified

Re: Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

(0) Hearts

Disliked Mat velvet as well!

AmelieLandry

1) Physician's Formula Organic Wear Mascara- had an allergic reaction from this, which is exactly what I was trying to avoid with buying this mascara. Within five minutes of wearing this I had a rash and swollen eyes. This was the only new thing on my face that night so I know this was it. Returned to get my $10 back

2) Wet n Wild megavolume mascara- totally dried up or something when I got it. Trashed, because I felt it wasn't worth going back to the store for a $2 refund

3) Almay Blemish Control Foundation- it made me break out even more than usual. Used halfway before I got fed up and trashed it.

4) ELF night 5 pc set- learned that ELF eyeshadows aren't pigmented at all. I thought there could be wax or something covering the top but even after rubbing I could barely get any color on my near vampire white skin. Not good. I still keep them in the hopes that I can still get color from these, but I haven't had any luck so far.

5) Revlon waterproof mascara (forgot certain type): not waterproof. I had raccoon eyes after crying over something while wearing this. Total garbage.

honorable mentions:

1) Too Faced Sweet Indulgence palette: most of the eyeshadows don't seem all that pigmented to me- I have to layer them a lot to get color on my eyelids even with primer

2) UD Mariposa palette: I don't hate it at all; I just never ever use it so it's kinda a waste in that way

3) this Revlon colorstay neutral matte quad: no pigment whatsoever

I think this means I need to splurge on more department store/Sephora stuff when I do buy makeup. I've had even more messes with drugstore makeup than this list shows.

PamperedKitty

1. Estee Lauder Pure Color Lip Gloss - sticky, gross, the applicator is terrible, low color payoff. Can't compare to YSL Golden gloss!

2. Ole Henriksen Face Oil - Not nearly as good as Marula Oil or Nude Progenius Oil

3. Marc Jacobs Lip Lacquer - I am a lipstick and gloss fanatic, and while these have BEAUTIFUL pigmented colors, they don't last long before needing reapplying and just can't justify the $28 price

4. Carol's Daughter Split End Hair Repair - Smells AMAZING but did nothing to help my damaged hair look better.

5. Carol's Daughter Almond Cookie Body Lotion - Again, smells AMAZING at first sniff, but soon after applying to your skin, it smells like baby powder instead of almonds or cookies.

poshified

Can I just comment on how Estee Lauder lip products just have the most unpleasant smell in general? lol

DoctorsMrs

I can't stand the smell of EL lip products, which is a shame because they have some gorgeous colors and classy packaging. On their website it says that this scent is FIGS.  I buy figs all the time and NO that is not what a fig smells like.

trucie

(0) Hearts

I love MJ lip lust :smileysad:

kmoliver15

I agree with you about the Carol's Daughter Split End Hair Repair. I bought it and it did nothing except make my ends stick together. Definitely not worth buying. 

poshified

(0) Hearts

Wet n Wild eyeshadows are amazing qualities but they make my eyes itch like crazy! I've heard a lot of people getting bad allergic reactions to the PF Organic Wear too!

AmelieLandry

(0) Hearts

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I wonder what the offending ingredient is (re: the mascara).

I started wearing Wet n Wild eyeshadow recently and I haven't had itching yet. Which is odd considering how sensitive my skin is.

Mollycj

I regret every drugstore face makeup product I have ever bought.

poshified

I got a good LOL because I agree 100%!

taketheroses

(0) Hearts

I totally agree too! It seems like every face product, whether it is foundation, concealer or powder makes me either break out or makes me too oily. However, lip products are another story.. :smileyhappy:

drrragon

My regrets would be Trish McEvoy eyeshadows and blushes.  I got sucked in and bought too much because the form factor was so perfect for travel, I mean no one does customizable travel palettes better than Trish!  

Unfortunately the makeup itself isn't really up to par.  The eyeshadows do have nice smooth textures but not pigmented enough (for $16 a pop for a small pan I'd expect decent pigmentation!), nor do they work well wet.  Same with the face powder, I can't tell it's on at all.  The blushes were definitely NOT worth $20 (again for a small pan) and the texture is actually slightly grainy.

poshified

I just got a shade from her as a GWP; they sure are small shadows!

MakeupLvr17

1. Benefit Bad Gal mascara- I could easily have found something better at the drugstore for way less money.

2. Benefit creaseless creme eyeshadow in birthday suit-

did not last and creased

3. Benefit sugarbomb-

hated the color, too shimmery, and didn't like the texture

and i agree with benefit lemon aid- never again

roxystar4

I see a trend... (benefit). I think most of their items (for me anyway) are just packaging. There are better quality items in Sephora. This is just my opinion, I know some people love Benefit but I only like a few items.

poshified

I can't wait to use up my Creaseless cream shadow in B-day suit! It was a holy grail at one point but now, Maybelline Color Tattoos have replaced it!

prosopon

(0) Hearts

Love the color tattoos!  In early August I bought three. I like that a lot of them can be worn in a one shadow look and still feel pulled together AND they stay all day.

mafan

(0) Hearts

I love the Color Tattoo shadows, too. And they really are waterproof. It was great today to grab one, add mascara, and go. No brushes to clean or anything. I just hate how heavy they are. It really limits what I can take on vacation. 

poshified

Can I also add Bella Bamba to the list? It made me look like I had  shiny greasy cheeks?

drrragon

oh man I was in love with the cheerful watermelon pink of Bella Bamba for the longest time...but recently swatched it again and it was full of SPARKLES!  Not for me, unfortunately.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 285 replies
  • 443 hearts
  • 74 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • dannyc
    • prosopon
    • hydee77
    • spoiledbrat
    • melisa16