poshified

Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

In helping DoctorsMrs and others who have jumped on the No Buy for the rest of August wagon, I thought that rounding up a few regret purchases would be a good topic :smileyhappy:

r.JPG

-Chantecaille Save the Sharks: Chantecaille makes some of the best eyeshadows and blushes, but this palette was an utter flop. The eyeshadows were extremely chalky and the blush color difficult to pick up, but the palette as a whole just clashed with my skintone.

-Sigma Paris palette: Wanting to support a couple of my favorite Youtube gurus who participated in the making of this palette, I bought this when it first came out. Let's just say Sigma should stick to brushes. The fall out is absolutely ridiculous and pigmentation is lacking!

-Buxom Pug cream shadow: This is an exact dupe of Chanel's Illusion D'ombre in Illusoire. The thing that makes it different is, well, the quality. This shadow not only popped out of the jar after just six months (and with proper storage) but has also a greasy film on top.

-NYX Butter Lip Glosses: Good grief! These were sticky, patchy, and just plain awful. On my lips, they pretty much just slip and slide. Am I the only one who finds these over-hyped??

-MAC Lady Gaga Lipglass: Having missed out on the lipstick, I thought it was a good idea to get the lip glass instead. Sticky like a Venus flytrap, MAC Lipglass has one of the worst lip gloss formulas. Not to mention, the color wasn't all that flattering.

Share away, BTers! :smileyhappy:

AViz

Re: Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

-MAC Lipglass: I remember hating this in high school, and it was so bad that I can close my eyes and feel the sticky awful texture!  How have they not reformulated it yet?  GAH lol.

-Sephora waterproof eye makeup remover: It got my liner off, but for mascara?  Heck no.  It did nothing but frustrate me and I lost a few precious lashes over it.  Garbage.

-Marula Pure Oil: Ugh.  Breakouts.  Maybe works for some but I still have yet to find a single facial oil that doesn't break me out.  Which...why am I surprised? 

poshified

Aside from the awful lipglasses,  MAC needs to stop putting out less than stellar collections every 2-3 days! :smileyhappy:

spoiledbrat

love the sarcasm - sarc it up!

ChicDabbler

Buxom glosses - ok ok, they weren't exactly a flop. They moisturizes and I like the minty tingling feeling. However, they only look good for 5min before they seep into lines and they kind of peels on me sometimes. o.O.....I can kind of manage with the sheer ones, but I think I might prefer Clinique over Buxom.

ExfoliKate - it's feels like acid on my face. I know that's kind of what it is, but I don't want to feel like I'm trying to disfigure myself. It does work, but I think I'd rather stick to Philosophy dual phase etc.

Opaque neutral nail polish - I'm ok with sheer or shimmery neutrals, but opaque neutrals just don't work on me. I tried. I really tried. I got a peach and a nude pink during the Sephora OPI sale and tried and tried past the return date. Nope.

Travel size brushes - first of all, they don't work as well as full size. Second of all, really? am I really so tight on luggage space that my brushes just HAVE to be 3in shorter? I don't think 3 sqr in of space make much of a difference. I'm taking full size when traveling.

Burt's Bee lip balms - they feel waxy and make my lips itchy. Everybody raves about them and it was during a time when I was desperate for anything to heal my dry, cracked, flaky lips so I brought every single type (3 or 4) they have and they all feel the same, doesn't work. So now I've got a handful of lip balms that I will never use. =(

clarks18

(0) Hearts

Travel size brushes are the worst!!  I don't have any in my collection for a reason.  If I'm going to spend money on great brushes I want the whole handle!  

poshified

(0) Hearts

I'm definitely a minority in saying that I'm not too big of a fan of the tingling Buxom lipglosses. That's especially true during the wintertime and it's below zero; the last thing I need is minty lips. Their full bodied lipglosses, on the other hand, are quite nice!

DoctorsMrs

Beautytester you crack me up.

3 inches shorter hahaha.  Good point.  It's not like you can pack an extra pair of shoes now.

sugarluvv

The tarte lash enhancer; it stung my eyes

poshified

(0) Hearts

Hmmm wonder what Tarte is putting wrongly in the lash enhancers!

gongju87

Oh! Lipglass from MAC is another good one...the stickiest stuff in the world! felt like I had elmer's glue on my lips!

gongju87

I cant think of 5 right now, but off the top of my head I'm kind of debating taking back the Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer I just got...

I bought it since there was so many good reviews for oily skin...but so far I'm not impressed..my face is just as oily as it was :/

I'm gonna give it another day or two, but no warm fuzzies so far :smileysad:

poshified

(0) Hearts

Oh no, it sucks HG Mineral Veil didn't work! Hopefully you'll find a better primer (and when you do, let me know! :smileyhappy:)

neko333

Luckily I try before I buy because I'm cheap I guess. So far the most over hyped things I've gotten as perks or sampled have been

-Bareminerals, to me nothing was amazing, It looked ok in the store but the lighting is strange in there. When I got home my mom said my skin looked horrible and later that night my skin started to itch really bad and I had a rash the next day. 

-Philosophy, something about this brand hates me. Every time I have sampled one of their products I got a rash or it just overly irritated my skin. The Hope in the Jar was my biggest bust. Rash+acne+burning, no thank you. I tried it for a week and it only got worse.

-Maybeline  Fit Me Foundation, I bought this on a whim in the drugstore and the color matched really well. However it made me an oil pit even if I did enjoy the look of it. It also caused acne. 

-Covergirl lash blast, this thing was just odd all around for me, from the look it gave my lashes, to the brush head, and the really fat handle. Most covergirl mascaras are a bust for me, I fell for the hype.

-Physicians Formula Sexy Glow Glossy Stain, I bought it because It was $2 and I was wanting a stain. I bought the hot pink as I thought it would be more wearable than the red. For the price the pigment, lasting power, and shine were all good. Just no color options and I could do without the vanilla fragrance. I really think bright lips make me look like a clown. 

-Origins Charcoal Mask, this thing can make me flare up some but overall it's an average mask and I don't get the hype. 

-Argan oil, good for dry areas (I used it on my sore nose after a cold) but just don't see the hype for using on your skin in general

-Makeup forever HD foundation- It's just oily

-Kate Somerville Exfolikate, nothing bad about it just nothing great about it either. Yu-Be foaming skin polish works better for me

I could probably go on for a while as I've ran into lots of hype issues

poshified

Exfolikate was too harsh for me. I haven't tried the Origins one but I shall proceed with caution :smileyhappy:

neko333

It wasn't horrible, I just didn't see where it was amazing. I don't find myself reaching for it much as I worry I'll break out. It does make your face smooth though. 

odoriferouscand

Something about the smell of hope in a jar makes me think of fish paste, and it's not that great to my skin. I only used a sample of it, though.

neko333

I got it as a 100 point perk. I gave it to my mom and she hated it also. I also noticed I did way more than 5..........

RiaMo

(0) Hearts

Hmmm This was a tough one for me, since I return anything that doesn't work for me or give it to one of my teenagers if it works for them and they like it. 

The Sephora Disney Princess Cinderella palette - Worst shadows ever! Extreme fall out, no color pay off. I was so excited to get it and haven't touched another one of their Disney products since. 

MAC In Extreme Dimension 3D mascara - I haven't returned this yet. I am having a love/hate relationship with it. My eyelashes look AMAZING when I use it. So long, full and lush and not spider leggy at all. LOVE! But OMG it just melts off like nothing I have ever seen before! I end up with raccoon eyes within hours. I used it night and came home with major raccoon eyes. I want to try setting it with the Anastasia Lash genius to see if it's savable before I return it. But would ultimately love just one product that does the job

I know there are more, I just can't think of any right now. 

DTalksAll

I really should keep a running list since these questions always pop up...

1. Dior Brow Styler- made my full brows way to bold. Even with the lightest of touch it still made me look like a clown

2. Dior One serum- Not sure if this counts, I tried it from the pt perk read the ingredients & then tossed it since it's full of waxes, alcohol & fillers. It did make my face look nice, but I know it won't have any lasting effect

3. Perricone Blue Plasma- 3.5 months later & I see no difference 

4. Bobbi Brown gel liner- it's more of a cream, harder to use then a gel & not very pigmented 

5. MARC JACOBS BEAUTY Highliner  Gel Crayon- Just got the sample. It's really soft (softer than UD liners) so it gets on your under eye easily, and it smudges quickly. Not sure on lasting power yet, but I won't be purchasing the full size & will use my sample for tightlining only. 

Carolynet

I got the Marc Jacobs sample too, and I ended up buying the full size version and found that I really like it. It is really soft, but i only use it for the bottom lashes. I totally agree with the Bobbi Brown gel liner not being good, i tried it and hated it and switched to the YSL version instead, which i would literally die without

poshified

(0) Hearts

Blue Plasma has been on my Loves List since it first came out. I just couldn't bring myself to shell out that much money (although I have no problem spending even more on a makeup palette -- go figure! lol) Glad I didn't miss out on much there!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 285 replies
  • 443 hearts
  • 74 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • prosopon
    • hydee77
    • spoiledbrat
    • melisa16