poshified

Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

In helping DoctorsMrs and others who have jumped on the No Buy for the rest of August wagon, I thought that rounding up a few regret purchases would be a good topic :smileyhappy:

r.JPG

-Chantecaille Save the Sharks: Chantecaille makes some of the best eyeshadows and blushes, but this palette was an utter flop. The eyeshadows were extremely chalky and the blush color difficult to pick up, but the palette as a whole just clashed with my skintone.

-Sigma Paris palette: Wanting to support a couple of my favorite Youtube gurus who participated in the making of this palette, I bought this when it first came out. Let's just say Sigma should stick to brushes. The fall out is absolutely ridiculous and pigmentation is lacking!

-Buxom Pug cream shadow: This is an exact dupe of Chanel's Illusion D'ombre in Illusoire. The thing that makes it different is, well, the quality. This shadow not only popped out of the jar after just six months (and with proper storage) but has also a greasy film on top.

-NYX Butter Lip Glosses: Good grief! These were sticky, patchy, and just plain awful. On my lips, they pretty much just slip and slide. Am I the only one who finds these over-hyped??

-MAC Lady Gaga Lipglass: Having missed out on the lipstick, I thought it was a good idea to get the lip glass instead. Sticky like a Venus flytrap, MAC Lipglass has one of the worst lip gloss formulas. Not to mention, the color wasn't all that flattering.

Share away, BTers! :smileyhappy:

DoctorsMrs

Re: Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

Great Idea Poshified :smileyhappy:

I don't have a picture because I disliked these five items so much that I disposed of all of them except the palette, which I gave away. 

1. Smashbox O-Plump:  This is supposed to plump your lips (which it did to a very minor extent) and turn your lips "a shade of pink unique to your lips alone".  Yeah, it was UNIQUE but not in a good way.

2. Clinique Nail Polish:  No. Just No.  The colors are gorgeous so of course I bought 5 right off the bat. This is the thickest nail polish formula that I have ever come across and once you've opened the bottle it thickens even more to the point of being stringy.  It does not dry.  I used the accompanying base/top coat as well, did my nails mid afternoon, went to bed no less than 10 hours later, and still woke up with smush marks from my blankets. It also bubbles.

3. UD Naked 2 Palette: It's just all too gray for my complexion. Not for me.

4. Tarte Multipleye Lash Enhancing Primer: Tarte is supposed to be good for sensitive types. This stuff made my eye lids swell shut and necessitated a trip to the eye doctor.

5. Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Dreaming in Portofino:  The original Light Blue is one of my favorite fragrances so I bought this one without trying it first.  I hated it.  You will rarely see me use the word hate.  It literally burned my nasal passages.  I threw this in the trash rather than giving it away.  I couldn't risk having to smell it on someone else. It was that bad.

poshified

I went out and bought Clinique's Bubbly when I first heard they were coming out with polishes, and that chipped within 5-6 hours. Ridiculous. I'm glad to hear everything turned out okay with the Tarte primer fiasco! Some of their products don't really agree with me. Oh D&G Dreaming in Portofino... I sprayed it at Nordstrom to test it and my friend was like "You better douse yourself with another scent, because that reeked!" haha

DoctorsMrs

[ Edited ]

Were you able to cover it up with another scent?  I needed a shower and a change of clothes.

poshified

Haha, I went for the hard stuff to cover it up, ie Tom Ford black orchid. I feel newer versions of older scents just can't compare, much like Acqua Di Gioia!

prosopon

LOL. "No. Just no."

prosopon

Good point about them being gone and out of your makeup life. Now I am wondering why I still hold on to mine!

DoctorsMrs

@prosopan,

You need to clear out the bad to make room for the good  :smileyhappy:

prosopon

I like that! After I take my picture, those items are getting out of my house! I will have to find them another home.

poshified

I like to declutter ever 4-5 months and put everything that didn't work in a box. A couple of my friends are always willing to find new homes for them (because what didn't work for me may work for them.) I pretty much just take the rest to the shelters and donate.

DoctorsMrs

Do you take notes about what didn't work?  I've started trying to do that because if I come across someone raving on a product and I can't remember why I disliked it then I'm like, "maybe it wasn't so bad and I should buy it again to retry".  Which is just dumb on my part.

poshified

I definitely do keep track of why certain products didn't work for me. There has definitely been times when I go back to a product a second time, thinking it would work differently only to be disappointed a second time. MUFE HD foundation comes to mind.

prosopon

I used to do that with samples that I would try out. I think my document on the computer is like 10 pages long. It does help to remember what you have tried, but I think I got a little overwhelmed. If I restarted, I would make separate documents.

poshified

(0) Hearts

Oh that's a good idea! At the rate that we, BTers, get samples and deluxe sized products, it's really easy to forget!

crayzeeRN

I agree on the UD Naked 2. I like some of the shades in the palette, but it is overall too grey/cool toned for me. Wish I had gotten the original Naked palette instead.

poshified

Watch Urban Decay come out with Naked3... and it'll be a mixture of shades from 1 and 2! haha

prettyinpa

I hate when UD comes out with a new palette that has one or 2 new shades that I love and the rest are all repeats. Do I go ahead and spend $50 or so for the new ones or skip the whole thing?  You know me, I buy it and then kick myself for paying $50 for 2 shadows. 

DoctorsMrs

[ Edited ]

Yeah and it will be sold out everywhere and we'll all be on waitlists trying to get it and then when we finally do we'll be all "eh" 

poshified

(0) Hearts

I still remember when Naked(1) first came out and there was a huge waitlist! haha

crayzeeRN

ahahaha I so see this coming true!!

cursesfoiledagain.jpg

DoctorsMrs

Yup, just wait, and then we can say we knew it first, but then we'll buy it anyway.

GGrace

they will probably incorporate some naked basic shades as well, can't forget the mattes

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 285 replies
  • 437 hearts
  • 74 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • prosopon
    • hydee77
    • spoiledbrat
    • melisa16