poshified

Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

In helping DoctorsMrs and others who have jumped on the No Buy for the rest of August wagon, I thought that rounding up a few regret purchases would be a good topic :smileyhappy:

r.JPG

-Chantecaille Save the Sharks: Chantecaille makes some of the best eyeshadows and blushes, but this palette was an utter flop. The eyeshadows were extremely chalky and the blush color difficult to pick up, but the palette as a whole just clashed with my skintone.

-Sigma Paris palette: Wanting to support a couple of my favorite Youtube gurus who participated in the making of this palette, I bought this when it first came out. Let's just say Sigma should stick to brushes. The fall out is absolutely ridiculous and pigmentation is lacking!

-Buxom Pug cream shadow: This is an exact dupe of Chanel's Illusion D'ombre in Illusoire. The thing that makes it different is, well, the quality. This shadow not only popped out of the jar after just six months (and with proper storage) but has also a greasy film on top.

-NYX Butter Lip Glosses: Good grief! These were sticky, patchy, and just plain awful. On my lips, they pretty much just slip and slide. Am I the only one who finds these over-hyped??

-MAC Lady Gaga Lipglass: Having missed out on the lipstick, I thought it was a good idea to get the lip glass instead. Sticky like a Venus flytrap, MAC Lipglass has one of the worst lip gloss formulas. Not to mention, the color wasn't all that flattering.

Share away, BTers! :smileyhappy:

DoctorsMrs

Re: Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

I could actually feel a slight burning sensation on my face when I wore them.

roxystar4

@doctorsMrs  no thanks, right?

poshified

It definitely broke me out, despite the whole no parabens, no sulfates yadda yadda claim.

LKuhle

I had a bad reaction to the Josie Maran Argan Oil too! It caused me to break out and I had face redness as well... I don't have sensitive skin, but it did not like Josie Maran, haha.

DoctorsMrs

I agree about the Hourglass Ambient  Powders. I bought 4 of them, have given up on all of them, and I do not enjoy that brush one bit.

veevali

(0) Hearts

I got two and decided to return one soon after, I really really really wishi just returned both. I never reach for it :smileysad:

mafan

I have the Dim Light and I like it, but I wouldn't rush out to have the whole collection of them.  I use my Sephora Domed Powder brush with it, so I can't comment on the brush or how it works at all.

crayzeeRN

I am so glad I am reading about these Hourglass Powders! I was considering buying one a few weeks back, but the price tag was an off-put. Glad to know it isn't all its cracked up to be, so I can NOT buy it! :smileyvery-happy:

prosopon

image.jpg

1. The Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing face wash - got a sample size from a Sephora purchase and it was great. Bought the full size and after using it for a longer period of time, it dried my face out.

2. TheBalm Time Balm face primer - This was a while back when Sephora actually sold theBalm products (read - I am older and wiser). The SA sold me on this after she put this on my hand. My hand! I had never tried it on my face and yet I purchased it! What was I thinking!?!

3. Sephora cream lip stain - love the longevity but I just can't bring myself the wear the color. If only it didn't have the pearlescence.

4. Bare Minerals all over color in warmth - to my credit, I didn't purchase it individually, it comes in so many of their sets. It is too dark for me and I wish they would stick something else in their sets.

5. Bare Minerals Purely Nourishing Cream - I love most all bare Minerals stuff so I purchased this in the winter (with the cleanser) for a heavier face moisturizer. It just didn't work for my skin. I will use it as a neck moisturizer.

Overall, I have learned that before purchasing products, I need to know what I am getting into - even if I am purchasing online. Swatch the colors, ask for samples of face products (maybe even a couple) to make sure something works for me. But, if something does go wrong, thank goodness for Sephora's return policy!

poshified

Ahhh TheBalm... I'm kinda on the fence as to how I feel about the line in general. So glad you steered me away from trying their face primer!

prosopon

I am not really a primer gal, but this one was too too silicone-y and clogged my pores.

odoriferouscand

You know I was browsing and i just say a couple of eyeshadow palettes for sale by TheBalm in value sets ... hmmm.

poshified

(0) Hearts

Honestly, I can't say I've reached for the Balm Jovi or Nude Tude. The Shady Lady palettes are great though!

annekevdb

I throw away products I don't like - or return them when possible. The most disappointing thing that comes to mind in terms of recent products was the Tarte holiday gift set from last year. It got good reviews - but I hated the lipgloss (and I tend to like lipsticks better) and the shadows just did not seem to have good staying power at all. Maybe the pallett was somehow different than their regular products - but it really steered me away from the brand all together. I ended up throwing it away in bits and pieces. The lipgloss went within a few weeks, then the shawdow pallett. I think the only thing I still have is the blush.

I"ve had some drugstore products that I didn't like as well - powder from Physician's Formula (it was on clearance).

poshified

(0) Hearts

I like to set aside the products that didn't work for me in a box, because I know some of my friends would like to try brands they don't have access to or are out of their budget. So they pretty much get first dibs and whatever's left goes to the shelters.

I absolutely disliked the Tarte holidays set you're talking about. Even the brush sheds like there's no tomorrow. Like you said, the blush was the only thing worth keeping!

GGrace

1. Purity Cleanser: I don't understand the hype. It didn't really seem to get my very cleam.

2.  Stila's Rocking In Rio travel Palette: I don't like the colors, the formula or the packaging. I just keep forgetting the bring it with me to do a return everytime I go into a store.

3. SEPHORA COLLECTION 2-in-1 Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover Gel: Barely remove my makeup and I need to use so much of it to get the job done. On the bright side that means it'll get used up fairly fast because I have to use so much each time

4. Sephora by OPI nailpolish remover: it takes forever to remove my nailpolish and I need to use a ton of it to do so

5. Pixi Lid Last Shadow Pen: It's chalky, hard to blend and streaky when applied. Deefinitely not for me

poshified

Stila's travel palettes as a whole don't have too much pigmentation, I think. Such a shame because they're so travel-friendly! :smileyhappy:

mafan

I think the small palettes are made in China.  I know that their Snow Angel palette from last winter was.  The larger palettes and individual shadows are made in the US.  I think that the manufacturing standards in the two plants must not be the same, which is a shame.  The blush in the Snow Angel is fun to play with but I wouldn't buy another palette made in China and I love their shadows.

GGrace

(0) Hearts

That's good to know for future reference, no more stila travel for me just the full size palettes. It's too bad because their regular eye shadow are amazing

crayzeeRN

@poshified- which is so surprising, because I absolutely love their shadows in the 10-pan palettes! They must produce a cheaper formula for those.

poshified

Don't you hate it when brands do that?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 285 replies
  • 443 hearts
  • 74 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • dannyc
    • prosopon