poshified

Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

In helping DoctorsMrs and others who have jumped on the No Buy for the rest of August wagon, I thought that rounding up a few regret purchases would be a good topic :smileyhappy:

r.JPG

-Chantecaille Save the Sharks: Chantecaille makes some of the best eyeshadows and blushes, but this palette was an utter flop. The eyeshadows were extremely chalky and the blush color difficult to pick up, but the palette as a whole just clashed with my skintone.

-Sigma Paris palette: Wanting to support a couple of my favorite Youtube gurus who participated in the making of this palette, I bought this when it first came out. Let's just say Sigma should stick to brushes. The fall out is absolutely ridiculous and pigmentation is lacking!

-Buxom Pug cream shadow: This is an exact dupe of Chanel's Illusion D'ombre in Illusoire. The thing that makes it different is, well, the quality. This shadow not only popped out of the jar after just six months (and with proper storage) but has also a greasy film on top.

-NYX Butter Lip Glosses: Good grief! These were sticky, patchy, and just plain awful. On my lips, they pretty much just slip and slide. Am I the only one who finds these over-hyped??

-MAC Lady Gaga Lipglass: Having missed out on the lipstick, I thought it was a good idea to get the lip glass instead. Sticky like a Venus flytrap, MAC Lipglass has one of the worst lip gloss formulas. Not to mention, the color wasn't all that flattering.

Share away, BTers! :smileyhappy:

neko333

Re: Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

I like the Eos lip balm because of the smell and they aren't very heavy. I also like the fact it's a ball and I like to play with it in my coat pocket. 

odoriferouscand

My fiance also hates the EOS lip balms, when I used to have one the shape really messed with him and reminded him of a boiled egg.

DoctorsMrs

I threw my Too Faced Natural palette away.  The fall out was unreal.  I have other palettes from Too Faced that work just fine for me.

Spyski

(0) Hearts

Darn! I really adore the colors, now I'm hesitate on purchasing it if it has too much fallout :smileysad:

Missie772

I don't like the EOS lip balms either!

joeanne

I LOVE Smith's Rosebud salve. Best thing for the lips ever!

Missie772

[ Edited ]

1) Smashbox Photo Finish Light Primer:  The primer was supposed to be for people with oily/combination skin. It was horrible, made me an oily mess and it didn't keep my foundation on any longer, even with a setting spray. I ended up giving it to my mom who has dryer skin and it works for her.

2) Josie Maran Argan Cheek and Lip Color Stick Set: The worse smelling product ever. Plus the color was hard to blend into the skin (I only used it as a cheek stain once). The smell was so bad, I washed it throughout the day. I returned the next day.

3) Truth Serum® Vitamin C Collagen Booster: I have pretty sensitive skin and it made me break out. I had an allergic reaction to the Vitamin C. I ended up returning this as well. 

4) Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder: I just got it this week and I really don't see a difference. I got it as a highlighter because the sales associate who did my makeover suggested it. I bought it instead of another highlighter I had my eye on. I don't know how or what to do with this product exactly... 

5) Bobbi Brown Gel Eyeliner: My eyes water pretty easily- wind, sunlight, allergies, etc. and the eyeliner runs like no other. And if it doesn't run, after a while it will start flaking off my eyelids. 

poshified

(0) Hearts

Is it bad for me to say that I don't care for Josie Maran's line? I know a lot of folks swear by her argan oil and all but, as a whole, I haven't been too terribly impressed by one single item from the brand. And, boy, flaking gel liner?? That's never good!

odoriferouscand

The same thing happened to me with the OH serum ... it made my face feel smooth and sticky in a weird way, and then I started breaking out.

DoctorsMrs

Smashbox Photo Finish Light is my favorite primer. I play with others but always come back.

Candy357

Mine was the Tokyo Milk set, the one with the lip balm, lotion and rollerball.

The lotion was nice, I kept that.

My mom took the rollerball, I didn't like the smell, she did.

And I had to have someone at work take the balm.

The balm smelled horrible of butterscotch! omg so nasty!

That was last week. lol

poshified

(0) Hearts

Oh no! At least your mom found a good home for the rollerball! :smileyhappy:

nebel

lol I gasped when I saw you didn't like Pug! I have both it and Illusoire and I actually find the colors to be slightly different! I love the buxom creme shadows... (and not JUST because they're all named after dogs!!)

having so much fun reading peoples regrets....

poshified

[ Edited ]

I love the shadow and how it's buildable; I just wished it hadn't shrunk and dried up like that haha! Now if you had said you didn't like their cream shadows because they're named after dogs, I'd be totally surprised! :smileyvery-happy:

nebel

To be fair, i just pulled out my Whippet (which I have with me here at work) and it is a little dry an crumbly and shrunken.  But I put it on my eyes and it is shimmering just fine :smileyhappy:

poshified

(0) Hearts

I'm not going to lie. I had to google both the shade and the breed lol. Thank you for testing it out for me! :smileyhappy:

nebel

I have almost the whole line if you are curious about any others.  Golden Retriever is a favorite. And of course, shih tzu!

michmo

This is a great post!

Hourglass Ambient Light Powder--I don't hate it, but I certainly don't like it enough for the price.  I also think there are products that can give similar results for a much more affordable price.

Hourglass Ambient Light Brush--see above.

Josie Maran Argan Oil--I really, really liked this at first and I started buying up all of Josie's products.  Unfortunately over time I began to realize I was having a rosacea like reaction to the oil.  My skin looked terrible, it was dry, red, and breaking out.  When I stopped using it my skin cleared right up.  

Clinique Naturally Gentle Eye Makeup Remover--I thought this was going to be great.  I have sensitive skin.  I hate the greasy feeling of some removers and this was a cream.  Unfortunately after using it once I woke up with swollen red eyes.  It is the only product I've ever returned to Sephora.  

BareMinerals Ready Eyeshadow in Scenic Route--This is one growing on me slightly.  The formula is fine and it's great colors/payoff unfortunately the colors wash me out and just look terrible on me.  They truly are gorgeous though...just not for me.  I've tried a few different ways to wear it, and some of them I can pull off.  So I will use it up, but I just won't buy this color for myself again.  

RiaMo

I have had the same reaction to two Clinique eye products! The remover, and an eye cream years apart. I haven't bought another Clinique product with the exception of Black Honey in years as a result.

poshified

Clinique's eye makeup remover burned my eyes. For me, personally, I find the skincare line to be a tad bit too harsh. Those Ambient light powders were worthless. I almost caved in to getting the brush as a contour brush for my other bronzers but I'm happy I didn't!

roxystar4

I had the diffused ambient lighting powder & was not a fan. I think it may have caused me to break out.  

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 285 replies
  • 437 hearts
  • 74 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • prosopon
    • hydee77
    • spoiledbrat
    • melisa16