poshified

Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

In helping DoctorsMrs and others who have jumped on the No Buy for the rest of August wagon, I thought that rounding up a few regret purchases would be a good topic :smileyhappy:

r.JPG

-Chantecaille Save the Sharks: Chantecaille makes some of the best eyeshadows and blushes, but this palette was an utter flop. The eyeshadows were extremely chalky and the blush color difficult to pick up, but the palette as a whole just clashed with my skintone.

-Sigma Paris palette: Wanting to support a couple of my favorite Youtube gurus who participated in the making of this palette, I bought this when it first came out. Let's just say Sigma should stick to brushes. The fall out is absolutely ridiculous and pigmentation is lacking!

-Buxom Pug cream shadow: This is an exact dupe of Chanel's Illusion D'ombre in Illusoire. The thing that makes it different is, well, the quality. This shadow not only popped out of the jar after just six months (and with proper storage) but has also a greasy film on top.

-NYX Butter Lip Glosses: Good grief! These were sticky, patchy, and just plain awful. On my lips, they pretty much just slip and slide. Am I the only one who finds these over-hyped??

-MAC Lady Gaga Lipglass: Having missed out on the lipstick, I thought it was a good idea to get the lip glass instead. Sticky like a Venus flytrap, MAC Lipglass has one of the worst lip gloss formulas. Not to mention, the color wasn't all that flattering.

Share away, BTers! :smileyhappy:

GGrace

Re: Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

I just bought a 10 pan palette from them that I love but I definitely need to return the travel palette because it's just not very good quality

mafan

It's interesting what works for some people and others just hate.  I saw Lemon-aid as someone's "can't do without" product, and others hate it.  And the Tarte lash primer was great for me (although I'm using a Lancome one now).  And Benefit Hoola is the one bronzer I really use, although I do need to be careful of how I use it.

Now, some really bad things for me:

1) Bare Minerals All-Over Face Color in Warmth.  Why in heaven's name do they put this in their starter set.  And imply that you should use it all over your face?  I was just starting using makeup and the base shade I chose was fine (Fairly Medium) but this?  Talk about bad.  It's about 3 shades too dark for someone with skin as light as mine!

2) Benefit Brow-zings.  I sure hope someone else will find this great to use.  I just simply cannot get my head around applying it, and I don't have hours to practice on my brows. I've had it applied on me and it looks good, but in practice it's awful.  I'll stick to my super-easy to use Hourglass arch tool.  Similar price and super easy.

3) Tarte gel liner in bronze.  I simply cannot decide if I have a really bad jar or if this color is awful.  It was part of a set, and I do like the other things that I got.  But this doesn't go on smoothly at all.  It clumps and seems to take ages to apply in any decent fashion.  I would love for these liners to work, but I can't seem to use this.  (I just got black in a different set and I'm tempted to open it just to see the consistency, but I know I should pass it along to someone who will wear black.)

4) Philosophy Field of Flowers.  I don't know why I thought I liked this fragrance.  I have the perfume, 3-in-one, and 2 1/2 size body lotions.  And now I just don't like the scent of it.  And it's taking up so much space.  I feel like I should use it because I have so much, but I have so many other things that I really like that it sits there.  I would love to find a home for this somewhere!

5) Tarte eyeshadow palette "Ten" and Too Faced "Summer Eyes".  I liked the consistency of the Tarte shadows, but I could not find a single color in the palette that would work for me.  Not any combo at all.  And I couldn't like the colors in the Too Faced Palette and I couldn't get them to blend, either.  The blue/teal in the second one was incredibly blotchy.  Both of these were returned (at separate times, soon after I got them).

poshified

(0) Hearts

I haven't broken into my Tarte Bronze liner yet, but now I'm having second thoughts based on your experience. Their turquoise eyeliner from the Aqualilites line was gorgeous, but I find that I had to keep going over the line repeatedly!

mafan

It really is possible that my problem was due to it being part of a set and it not being really new.  So maybe it dried out a bit.  The reviews seem a bit mixed on bronze.  It's too bad, because it's a good color for me.  I'm curious to hear what you think if you do break into yours.

poshified

(0) Hearts

I think we must both have gotten it from the same set! lol Did yours come with a Lip surgence and a mini mascara (and something else -- brush?)

mafan

(0) Hearts

Yes, that was the set. And I really wanted to like this liner. 

GGrace

I had the same problem with Bare Minerals warmth when I first started wearing makeup. I thought that it was for my entire face and in hindsight I ended up looking very muddy and dirty

crayzeeRN

[ Edited ]

Photos of the ones I still own!

Korres Blush in Apricot- got this as part of a set, so hadn't seen it in store. Incredibly sheer, terrible color payoff with a ridiculous amount of sparkle that enhances pores and imperfections.

Body Shop Seaweed Mattifying Day Cream- smells great, doesn't do anything for mattifying my skin!

Clinique Chubby Sticks Intense- I know tons of people love these, but they really don't work for me.

Benefit Hoola- not the right shade for me, just makes my skin look muddy.

Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow in Fahrenheit Fab- I love pretty much all the other cream shadows by Benefit, but this particular one is very difficult to work with and not flattering on the eye. Doesn't apply smoothly and the sparkle gets very weirdly distributed/clumpy. Looks gorgeous in the jar though!

Benefit Velvet Eyeshadow in like what you sea? This is a beautiful shadow with great quality, but I just am not capable of wearing blue eyeshadows. I was talked into this by a sales associate. Need to find someone to give this away to!

Not pictured: Benefit They're Real Mascara and Eyeko Skinny Brush Mascara- yeesh did these both turn my eyelashes into giant wet spiders!!

neko333

(0) Hearts

Do some of the Korres Blush have shimmer and others don't? I only ask because I have the Peach one and it has no shimmer and is really matte and natural. 

poshified

(0) Hearts

Hoola had zero staying power on me. Blue eyeshadows rarely work on me either, yet they come in nearly every single palette! lol

crayzeeRN

I know! Blue is one of my favorite colors and I hate that those pretty blue shades look so bad on my eyes :smileysad:

DoctorsMrs

Not a fan of the Chubby Sticks Intense version either. I do like some of the original Chubby Sticks though. They're great for an easy, quick, sheer lip and I love that they don't need sharpening.

crayzeeRN

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I would have preferred the original chubby sticks. These are a bit too pigmented for me, don't give a finish that I like and dry my lips out.

glossyguru

Where do I begin?

1) Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full Coverage Foundation

This foundation had a weird consistency for me, and even though I got color matched in store, the foundation looked SUPER orange on me. I had to throw it out.

2) Benefit They're Real

I bought this mascara because of all of the hype, but in my opinion, it doesn't live up to all of it. It's an ok mascara, but not good enough for me to pay $23 every 4 months.

3) Tarte Clean Slate Flawless Brightening Primer

This did absolutely nothing for me. My foundation stayed on no longer than normal, and it didn't brighten a bit.

4) Benefit High Beam

For so many, this is a holy grail highlight, but I find is too harsh, and irritating on my skin.

kissXmakeup

(0) Hearts

The tarte foundation gave me great coverage at first, then it made me break out like crazy and then very light coverage happened. It is as if they did that on purpose so you would use more product to cover up the breakouts and have to buy more or something. You sneaky makeup companies! :smileytongue: I actually like They're real, it really elongates my lashes.

RiaMo

They're Real for me makes my eyelashes look a bit darker, but that's it. It is a very light mascara for me. I get enough samples of it, that I haven't had to buy any. But I love it for everyday use. I use that and then throw on Anastasia's Lash Genius to water proof it and head to the gym. It gives me a brighter look without looking made up. Would I ever buy it? Doubtful. Since I have 2 muji drawers full of free mascara's I don't see a need. 

poshified

(0) Hearts

Lash Genius was a genius of an idea! I have to give Anastasia props for coming up with that!

michmo

I've resigned myself to the fact that Tarte foundations just don't have a good match for my skin tone.  I'm always between shades.  

poshified

(0) Hearts

Tarte foundations (especially BB creams) oxidize orange on me. I don't get the hype with High Beam either -- not to mention the stuff cakes up in the bottle rather quickly!

clarks18

DoctorsMrs I'm glad I'm not the only person who has had to show their face at the eye doctor because of a product!  The Tarte primer works for me, sorry to hear it didn't work well for you.  I hope your eyes are feeling better!

DoctorsMrs

[ Edited ]

@clarks18,

Thank you. I'm fine now. That was a while ago but it was really embarrassing to have such ugly eyes for several days. I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the Dior Mascara. Your story sounds very painful. So many people swear by Dior mascaras. It's interesting how everyone has different experiences.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 285 replies
  • 437 hearts
  • 74 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • prosopon
    • hydee77
    • spoiledbrat
    • melisa16