Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

In helping DoctorsMrs and others who have jumped on the No Buy for the rest of August wagon, I thought that rounding up a few regret purchases would be a good topic Smiley Happy

r.JPG

-Chantecaille Save the Sharks: Chantecaille makes some of the best eyeshadows and blushes, but this palette was an utter flop. The eyeshadows were extremely chalky and the blush color difficult to pick up, but the palette as a whole just clashed with my skintone.

-Sigma Paris palette: Wanting to support a couple of my favorite Youtube gurus who participated in the making of this palette, I bought this when it first came out. Let's just say Sigma should stick to brushes. The fall out is absolutely ridiculous and pigmentation is lacking!

-Buxom Pug cream shadow: This is an exact dupe of Chanel's Illusion D'ombre in Illusoire. The thing that makes it different is, well, the quality. This shadow not only popped out of the jar after just six months (and with proper storage) but has also a greasy film on top.

-NYX Butter Lip Glosses: Good grief! These were sticky, patchy, and just plain awful. On my lips, they pretty much just slip and slide. Am I the only one who finds these over-hyped??

-MAC Lady Gaga Lipglass: Having missed out on the lipstick, I thought it was a good idea to get the lip glass instead. Sticky like a Venus flytrap, MAC Lipglass has one of the worst lip gloss formulas. Not to mention, the color wasn't all that flattering.

Share away, BTers! Smiley Happy

Re: Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

1) I<3 U Kenzo Perfume: This was hands-down an impulse purchase, albeit a selection made with some thought. My boyfriend's signature scent is a Kenzo perfume, and I thought it would be cute if we had matching fragrances from time to time, and this was a Kenzo scent that I didn't think I'd mind. But that thought process alone was a big mistake, because now I never reach for it, and every time I lust after a perfume that is completely my style, I think about this $55 perfume on my counter and feel guilty. Part of me really wants to return it so that my money is better spent, but it's been discontinued and I don't know how to navigate those waters in Sephora Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

2) MAC Lipglasses from the RiRi collection (Vivaglam and RiRi Woo): For the most part, I hate lipgloss. Hate it. Hate to get it in my monthly subscription boxes, hate how it feels, hate how tacky it is, hate how my hair always gets stuck in it.....who was I to think I'd be okay with two unforgiving red lipgloss shades? I justified this as an LE purchase, and that I'd wear these during the holidays. but no. Shame on me. I should have known myself better

3) Fresh Sugar Tinted Lip Balms: I love the advanced lip treatment/clear balm, but after buying a 6-pack of the trial-sized sugar lip balms, I realized how much I disliked the pairing of a tint with this particular formula. It's incredibly emollient and really just...sits on my lips, so I'm always compelled to rub my lips together to redistribute the greasy feel, and I'll look in the mirror and see the beginnings of some clown lips, because the tint has spread beyond my natural lip line. And for some reason, any of the balms that aren't the advanced treatment formula don't seem to work well for me, and do nothing for my chapped lips.

And for the most part, I think I just regret buying skincare, starting to use it, and then not using it up in time. There was a phase where I wanted to get my hands in everything I got as a free sample, in addition to my normal routine, and I ended up not using some really nice products for years: a bunch of Laneige skincare products, an Estee Lauder hydrating toner (this still makes me cry inside; 2/3 of the bottle left!), a whole thing of CeraVe. I'm a borderline germaphobe when it comes to skincare/tubs of cream, so I don't dare to use these items, but can't bring myself to throw them away either. They now just serve as a reminder to use only the skincare products I plan to stick with and use to the end. *hangs head in shame*

Maybelline Baby Lips - there is nothing at all moisturizing about this in my opinion.  It feels just waxy.   

I thought I was the only one! Everyone always seems to rave about these but they did nothing for my lips, and looked and felt terrible

I didn't like these either. Idk why people raved about it. It was literally a stick of wax on my lips.

Agreed.  These are terrble and way over hyped.

There are many products I regret buying:

1. Hourglass Aura Lip Stain- uncomfortable and wears off unevenly. Super expensive.

2. Blinc mascara- At first it was great, but it got awful after being open a few weeks. Too wet and weighed down my lashes. Wanted to love this.

3. OCC Skintint Tinted moisturizer- No coverage whatsoever.

4. Juice Beauty concealer- Not a good color and just not a good concealer

5. Tarte Power Pigment in Fearless and Flush- Just don't like these... the peppermint and the strong color make them hard to pull off in a pencil form.

6. Tarte maracuja lipgloss- gross-feeling.

7. NYX butter balm- smelled awful, didn't feel balmy, and the colors were ugly.

8. Essence lip stain gel- cheap but totally pointless and uncomfortable

9. Ren rose centriflora cleansing balm- Love it except the fragrance utterly murders my poor eyeballs, and that's the only place I really need to use it to remove my eye makeup! It's a pain to use.

10. NARS creamy radiant concealer- everyone raves about this but frankly it sucks, especially for use under eyes. It's difficult to blend, looks awful on wrinkles, and is just a total pain to remove.

(0) Hearts

I agree with you on that Blinc mascara, I received a travel size in a previous year's Sephora Favourites kit and it dried out quite quickly. I hadn't read about it and didn't realize it was going to "tube" my lashes so the first time I washed it off my face I panicked when I saw these eyelash like strings coming off my eyes...slightly embarrassed after I read up on it lol

(0) Hearts

Aww, that's such a bummer about the REN balm - it's one of my absolute favorites! 

I completely agree with you about the Nars concealer though. It's just so thick and heavy, maybe if I wore heavier foundation, but it's just so much thicker than anything else that I put on my face. 

I agree with you about Nars creamy radiant concealer. I found it quite drying -- sometimes it dried before I could fully blend it. I hate the idea of the doe-foot applicator too.

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I'm interested to know what concealers you ladies use and recommend. I personally love the NARS creamy radiant concealer, and cannot imagine any other concealers that could be better.

[ Edited ]

(edit: i just realized this was supposed to be a top 5 list. rather i'm providing a ramble. apologies)

this thread has me realizing i'm pretty dang lucky. i think i really over think everything before i purchase so things rarely ends up a regret. and shall potential regret happen, i return / exchange....and i've had proper regrets but they're in the past, i really don't remember !!

over the past few months i keep purchasing NYX matte lipstick (not to be confused with the amazing soft matte lip creams) and i always regret it because it slides right off. feels pointless to wear. luckily they're not expensive. but i need to just. stop.

regret for me usually comes in the form of "oh i shouldn't have spent money on that !!!" and, knock on wood, i've been lucky to know the things i spend money on are doing something for me.

something kind of on / kind of off  topic is i regret ever getting samples of the becca shimmering skin perfectors because i love the way they look (for the most part) but they contain mineral oil in them and that's just an ingredient i typically try to keep off the skin on my face. 

....which leads me to remember a proper regret, from last autumn: MARIO BADESCU hyaluronic eye cream. it contains mineral oil (listed on the inci list as 'carnation oil'. had to read about that on a blog to figure that one out. sigh.)

(0) Hearts

benefit oxygen foundation- too yellow
ysl glossy stain#18- looks patchy and rubes off easily (will only get the darker shades)
mac dazzleglass- good pigmentation but applies uneven and is super sticky
mac waterproof brow set- the bristle hurts my skin when used
clinique baby tint- no color whatsoever
clinique overnight face cream- it was moisturizing at first but made my face feel dry afterwards

(0) Hearts

damn i was debating buying the mac brow set. what do you use now? i use anastasia's clear brow gel but i want to try other things

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

1. marc jacobs sheer lipstick in anais - I think it doesn't suit me but at the same time i like the color? There's a fine line between looking nude and looking dead.

2. bare minerals set i bought during december

3. nars underworld - i didn't read online really well and when i went go buy it there was no swatch so i bought it blind in other words and didn't like the navyish blue side.

4. ysl baby doll lips and cheeks in 07 - nice color, accents my dry lines too, perfect look for a dehydrated desert shoot.

5. giorgo armani lip maestro - i have the exact same shade and finish from one of the asian products i have, I just got too excited.

*edited to say that the shade for the GA is 402* the other one i absolute love and is unique. shade 200. <3 

no receipts for any of these either so no way to return? 

these are all relatively recent purchases, yeah ???? and some really nice things !! whoa !

if i had anything i didn't like i'd offer up some trades ! but i don't have anything to trade Smiley Sad

(0) Hearts

yes they're all very recent, the only thing older than that is the bare minerals. in fact the mj i wore yesterday and bought it the day before, now i love the color and everything but it swatched differently on my arm than on my lip. I may have to find a way to make it work because with the recent return stories i've been hearing i'm kind of hesitant to. oh and even though I just bought it (it was when i bought nars train bleu), I can't return it even though i have the receipt because while I was out with my friend yesterday, Neko got a hold of the receipt and tore it up. He likes playing with paper and plastic. -.- 

[ Edited ]

the stories you're hearing about returns are bad customer service issues, not sephora policy. i had to return the tatcha oil without a receipt (i'd thrown it away because i didn't think it was possible it wouldn't work for me--it's trialed it and everything). not only did i have no issues, the girl was super helpful and kind to me (i was pretty nervous because i rarely return anything, and have never attempted to return without a receipt !). i'm just saying, it's not exactly a cheap lipstick. and if you could get a $30 lipstick that makes you feel fantastic when you wear it...go swap it out ! if they give you a hard time, ask them to give you the deets on the return policy because you're not trying to cause any issues. i'm just saying.....want you to be happy Smiley Happy

also...you wore underworld in a look last week or something, right ? i remember loving it ???

sorry i'm just shocked these are proper regrets ! and want you to be happy Smiley Happy

(0) Hearts

I can send you underworld if you want. I liked it but not enough, I think it actually looked better on pictures, I didn't even get to open it until I was home, unfortunately my sephora nars stand don't have many testers out, this shade being one of them! It looks nothing like the hover picture online, and I thought that's what it was going to look like, I guess i did see the word 'deep blue gray' but my eye completely skipped over the blue part and was so excited about having a gray that looked like the picture with a lighter grey that looks more like silver. -.-

have you played with the blue at all, though ? remember when you did that deep blue look with to di palette ? i LOVED that on you !!!

just that one time, i dont know, it does look very pretty and i like the color lol ahhh 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments