Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

In helping DoctorsMrs and others who have jumped on the No Buy for the rest of August wagon, I thought that rounding up a few regret purchases would be a good topic :smileyhappy:

r.JPG

-Chantecaille Save the Sharks: Chantecaille makes some of the best eyeshadows and blushes, but this palette was an utter flop. The eyeshadows were extremely chalky and the blush color difficult to pick up, but the palette as a whole just clashed with my skintone.

-Sigma Paris palette: Wanting to support a couple of my favorite Youtube gurus who participated in the making of this palette, I bought this when it first came out. Let's just say Sigma should stick to brushes. The fall out is absolutely ridiculous and pigmentation is lacking!

-Buxom Pug cream shadow: This is an exact dupe of Chanel's Illusion D'ombre in Illusoire. The thing that makes it different is, well, the quality. This shadow not only popped out of the jar after just six months (and with proper storage) but has also a greasy film on top.

-NYX Butter Lip Glosses: Good grief! These were sticky, patchy, and just plain awful. On my lips, they pretty much just slip and slide. Am I the only one who finds these over-hyped??

-MAC Lady Gaga Lipglass: Having missed out on the lipstick, I thought it was a good idea to get the lip glass instead. Sticky like a Venus flytrap, MAC Lipglass has one of the worst lip gloss formulas. Not to mention, the color wasn't all that flattering.

Share away, BTers! :smileyhappy:

Re: Tuesday Top 5: Regret Purchases

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I HATE these products:

1. First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream - too thick.. sits on skin.. and makes my skin worse AND I have eczema which this product is supposed to help but definitely doesn't.

2. First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Concentrate - even thicker and equally as bad.

3. Dr Dennis Gross All-In-One Cleanser With Toner - this product does NOTHING.. doesn't work with Clarisonic.. no lather.. and doesn't clean skin.

4. Lorac Multiplex 3D Lip Gloss - tried it once and that was enough.. sticky and awful.. probably the worst lipgloss ever.

5. Lorac Tantalizer Baked Bronzer - orangey and applies uneven.. doesn't blend well (I have a super old one.. not sure if the newer packaging one is different).

6. Illamasqua Hydra Veil - sticky.. makes foundation look uneven.. I'm going to go back and try this one and attempt to finish it.. ugh.

7. Laura Mercier Smooth Focus Pressed Setting Powder Shine Control - makes makeup instantly cakey looking.. hate.

8. Freeman Facial Anti-Stress Mask Dead Sea Minerals  (from the drugstore) - just awful.

9. St. Ives Apricot Scrub (from the drugstore) - abrasive and skin damaging.

10. Too Faced Lip Insurance Lip Primer - very drying.. does not help my lipstick.. makes lipstick cling to dry spots.

11. Dior Diorskin Nude Creme-Gel Compact - majorly cakey and thick.

12. MAC Mineralize Moisture SPF 15 Foundation - I loved it at first (which was back when it first released)... now I'm trying to make it work and there's barely any coverage and uneven.. I don't know if the product went bad or what but it's a no-go for me.

13. Sephora Collection Nano Lip Liner in "Queen Quartz" - barely shows up (I should look for the receipt and try to return because this is recent).

(0) Hearts

Purity Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash - I like a thicker exfoliator and I dont really like the smell.

Jordana Twist and Shine in Tera Crave - I heard great things and I loved the color when swatched, but within 30 minutes of applying it changes from a terracotta color to a bright pink color.  I dont really wear pinks.

FAB Pads - dont really do anything for me and the smell is terrible!

In general all drugstore lipsticks

Nyx Butter Lip Balms - I tried two colors and they both go on very patchy and arent really all that moisturizing.

Be a Bombshell lip crayon - It was in an Ipsy bag, so I didnt actually "pick" it, but mine crystallized after I wore it once (only a couple of months old).  I didnt get to find out if I liked the color or formula, but in general I havent heard good things about them.

(0) Hearts

You're not the first person to say that about NYX on here! I am so tempted by youtube videos to try the lipgloss and high voltage lipstick. I have been burned by getting drawn into overhyped youtube beauty products though. Maybe I should avoid NYX. Two lipsticks and two glosses have been sitting in my cart on ulta.com for 2 weeks..  :/

(0) Hearts

Well, I agree that the NYX butter lip balms aren't good but a lot of their other lip products are especially the lip creams.  I love those.  They last me all day, apply smoothly, and are very pigmented. When Ulta has a sale on NYX I'd say give them a chance because most of their products are actually really good.  

Hmm maybe I will try the lip cream then! I have had my eye on Antwerp. I am waiting til they go back on BOGO 1/2 off.

Definitely that'd be the time to get it.  Don't forget those $3.50 off a $10 purchase coupon that Ulta always has :smileyhappy:

(0) Hearts

I do really like their eyeshadows.... Im afraid to try any more of their lip products though

UD Pulp Fiction palette. I was at a Rouge event that had complimentary champagne and I had 2 glasses and suddenly decided the 90s needed to come back. What was I thinking?! Then, failing to return it right away and then it went on sale. Alas!

This made me laugh so hard. :smileyvery-happy: I can sympathize, I find myself longing for a MAC Spice lipliner (probably because I never got one in the 90s), but I cannot decide if it would actually be a good purchase, or if it would just indulge my inner high schooler, who did not feel nearly as cool as I now realize I was, primarily because of how uncool I am now.

OMG, you just nailed pretty much exactly my thought process looking at that palette and remembering longing to be as cool as Mrs. Mia Wallace/Uma Thurman. *high five*

(I, too, occasionally still wish I had a MAC Spice liner - I never had one back then, either. Uncool Grrls Unite!)

[ Edited ]

Makeup Forever HD Foundation : wreaked havoc upon my skin which has set my scarring back another five years! Decent coverage, buildeable foundation but made my skin greasy throughout the day and was just heavy & gross. Plus, I'm mad at myself for not realizing what was breaking me out sooner...annnd, I wasted my 20% off on this stupid set in November! Now, I'm on the quest for a new foundation or two.. -Soon to be Returned

Too Faced Bonjour Summer 2014 Palette : everything jokate said. The three lightest/highlight shades were so dry and patchy; they even developed this strange layer on top that had to be "broken" to get any pigment. The orange, green and pink were nowhere nearly as vibrant once applied and when blended out, they were so muddy and unattractive. The three brown shades were actually beautiful; the only decent part of the palette. -Returned

Urban Decay Naked 3 : I really like some of these shades, but there's a lot of fallout on application and throughout the day with these. One of the shades is just a pink-y, chunky glitter and the metallic/satin colours have too much of a sheen to them. I've been "forcing" myself to use this one. It has so much potential, so I suck it up and will use it up & keep away from UD in the future.

j'adore : I just bought it at the wrong time and now the memories associated with it are not so happy..

Sets with lipglosses in them : Last year, I only wore lip glosses. Now, I'm extremely picky about them and do not appreciate them encroaching upon my holiday/value sets.....self tanners, too.

(0) Hearts

I hate Naked3.  If I had paid for it instead of cashing in points on it, I'd be really pissed.  It just does nothing for my skintone and every shade makes me look muddy and gray.  I think I've used it 3 times?!

I'm totally with you on the lip glosses in GWP's/travel palettes. I used to wear a lot of lip gloss, but kind of quit it cold turkey when I hit 40, as I never found a formula I loved. I can also empathize with Naked 3; I wanted to love it, because the colors look so perfect for me in the pan, but since I've yet to gain confidence with dark shadows, the fact 3/4 of the palette is comprised of dark shadows should have put me off. I guess I got over-ambitious, and figured I'd get to grips with dark shades if I owned a few. This has yet to happen ...

Tarte BB Cream, I loved it when I first put it on but it settled into my pores and Turned powdery.

Stila lip gloss sets, I agree with everyone who mentioned them! They look so exciting but I find them sticky and patchy if they have any color at all!

All my loose pigments. In my dream life I know exactly how to use them, but in real life I don't have the time to figure them out.

Too Faced Bonjour Summer Eyes palette from summer 2015. I was so excited for a palette with neutrals plus a few pops of color. Instead I got three highlight shades with no pigment. Three dull colors that get muddy when blended. And three great brown shadows that are almost identical. Such cute packaging but so disappointing.

Bliss anti aging serum. I love the youth as we know it moisture cream, but this serum pills up under other moisturizers and makeup.

i love this thread!

I meant summer 2014!

(0) Hearts

I hate that Summer 2014 palette from 2014, too!

It's pretty bad when the three best shades in a palette are the brown ones.

That was my first palette return; it was completely useless to me and has sadly turned me off to the entire brand...

(0) Hearts

That palette made me cry!  I thought the one I was buying was ALa Mode eyes, but instead I got the more muted Bonjour Summer which was too muted to show up on my skintone.  

1. Sephora Color of the Year palette 2014 - Radiant Orchid.  I have no idea what to do with it.  I've tried it and the colors fade and couldn't make it work.  I think I've used it 3x.  
  2. Too Faced Melted lipstick in Villain.  I LOVE the color but I don't think I will ever wear it.  
  3. OCC Lip tars in Technopagan and Black Metal Dahlia.  Too much work.  I'm way too lazy to make these work properly.
  4. MAC BB cream.  It's way too orange and greasy for me but I keep using it.  I hate to throw out products.  
  5. MAC Carbon eyeshadow.  Oy. 

I feel like there's more but these are the ones that really make me sigh, especially that dang palette.  I just stare at it sometimes.  So much potential!  

I love lip tars! 

I do too! I really want Black Metal Dahlia but it's been OOS for a long time. :smileysad: 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments