poshified

Tuesday Top 5: Former Holy Grail Products!

What products were -- at one point -- HG status but that you can no longer stand using?

former.JPG

-Mario Badescu Drying Lotion: The smell and the stain it leaves on my pillows has turned me off from using this product. Sephora's Acne Fighting Roll On gel has replaced it ever since!

-Urban Decay Original Primer Potion: I have to give it to UD for being the pioneers of eye primers (and for helping me to restore my faith in wearing eyeshadows again), but the formula simply cannot hold a candle to NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow base.

-Benefit Porefessional: This is a decent primer, but it doesn't do as good of a job as the Hourglass Mineral Veil primer. These days, I use it over foundation to minimize pores.

-Dior Capture Totale One Essential Serum: I honestly don't know how I managed to ever go through a single bottle of this, given the strong scent of the product, but I did. These days, I've been turning to Skinfood's Gold Caviar serum as a better smelling alternative that is just as effective and for a fraction of the price.

-Ralph by Ralph Lauren: There was a time, namely high school and early college, when this was my go-to perfume. This was gifted to me a couple of years ago, and I just haven't been reaching to it -- possibly because this was my fifth bottle.

Share away, BTers! :smileyhappy:

jellybean917

Re: Tuesday Top 5: Former Holy Grail Products!

In college, I was obsessed with Hilary Duff's perfume (called With Love, I think). No one told me that they couldn't stand how it smelled on me, but I went through 3 bottles of it! Thankfully it wasn't a very high-end perfume.

poshified

(0) Hearts

Ahhh don't you hate it when people hold back on the truth?

marydiva

BareMinerals blush! It was my favorite product in the world, until I finally broke down and bought a NARS. I haven't looked back since!

poshified

(0) Hearts

Bare Minerals? What's that? :smileywink:

Loricaaa

I feel ya on the Ralph Lauren perfume! This was THE scent of my high school days. Everyone who was anyone wore it. XD

poshified

(0) Hearts

Same with Tommy Girl! haha

trulykelsie

[ Edited ]

1. Dior Creme de Rose- I'm not sure if it's officially reached HG status or not, but I tried this and I just don't get the hype. I wanted to love it, but when it comes down to it, it just doesn't help revitalize dry lips out in Las Vegas. I'd rather stick with the much cheaper products that provide similar- if not better- results.

2. Urban Decay Naked Palette- While lovely to look at, this palette has been tremendously unimpressive- especially for the price and trouble getting it when it was first released. The colours are lovely in concept, but they just don't translate as well on the eye. And don't get me started on the glittery fallout... In the end, I quickly subbed mine out for Too Faced's Natural Eye set, and I haven't looked back since. 

3. Urban Decay Primer Potion- Like many of you, I used this when it was first introduced. However, I ditched it as soon as I met MAC's Paint Pot in Painterly. It's a better value, you get more uses out of it, and my eyeshadows have actually stood up to a long 18-hour day and an intense facial washing. It came off easily with eye make-up remover, but that was the first I have ever been so impressed with my eyeshadow's staying powder. 

4. Urban Decay Setting Spray- Another great product dreamed up by UD, setting sprays have been a must on my list since I first saw the UD one over four years ago. However, I recently decided to try MAC's Setting Spray, and it became obvious to me that it was much better than the ones offered by UD. In addition to my makeup not fading one bit over my long, busy days, this spray smells absolutely divine- making its application a pleasure that I look forward to every day. 

5. Marc Jacobs Honey EDP- A rather recent HG product, it's been hard to go a week without hearing about this fragrance since its  release. And while the bottle is absolutely darling and the scent- in concept- sounds perfect for me, I just can't seem to like this product... And trust me, I've tried. Every time I walk towards that lovely bottle and hope that the magic will finally happen, I just end up setting it down, disappointed in their rather loose translation of honey. 

poshified

(0) Hearts

I was so close to buying Honey! I love how it smells initially but as the day goes on, it just wore off terribly on me. On the flip side, it looks good sitting on your vanity I'm sure :smileyhappy:

kittichick

1. Clinique Acne Clarifying Lotion: All the alcohol in their Clarifying Lotions made me think I had super-sensitive skin. I still use the Mild (i.e. alcohol-free) one, though. 

2. MUFE All Mat: It seemed to be the only thing that EVER had any chance of controlling my oily skin at all. But it seems like Hourglass' Mineral Veil primer and Dr. Brandt Pores No More work as well, if not better, and they feel better on my skin.

3. Illamasqua Sealing Gel: For a while, it was turning my eye shadows into eye liners that stayed put. But then... it just stopped working. The shadows/liners started flaking off. Dunno why. Huge bummer.

4. Soap & Glory Pulp-Friction Foamy Fruity Body Scrub: Smells awesome, feels awesome, doesn't work so awesome. But it took trying some other, better scrubs to find out that last part.

5. Clinique Acne Solutions Spot Healing Gel: While it did help get rid of pimples, sometimes it would leave scars. Meep!

I have the overwhelming feeling that I'm forgetting something. Or a lot of things. O.o  Oh well. This is what I can think of atm.

poshified

(0) Hearts

YIKES! I'm sorry to hear that about the Clinique Healing Gel! :smileysad: So much for healing when you have to worry about scars!

kittichick

Right?? Pfft. 

Meanwhile, I still want to know what that Illamasqua gel stopped working. O.o

solveig

1. Mario Badescu Enzyme Cleansing gel (I think it wa a gel). I had been using it for over two years, until one day out of nowhere it started clogging my pores.

2. Escada Into the Blue perfume. I used to love wearing it all year around, it has the perfect combination of cool and warm notes. Everything was great, until I realized that every time I wear it I get a pretty bad headache.

3. Laura Mercier Mineral Powder (loose and pressed). I almost finished both of them, when it hit me that my major skin problems started at the same time as I'd begun using them.

4. Clinique Loose powder. Nothing wrong with it, and I can still use on rare occasions. I just don't use powders as much anymore.

5. Mario Badescu Drying cream. I don't know why, but it just stopped doing anything except drying the skin around the pimple, even if I put the smallest amount and tried to localize it.

poshified

(0) Hearts

Laura Mercier face products don't work for me either, which is a shame, because they make complexions look flawless! At least her highlighters are a hit! :smileyvery-happy:

Missie772

1) Urban Decay Primer Potion- like you my favorite one now is Nars Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base. This was the first eyeshadow primer I ever tried and everyone raved about it so I assumed it was the best. Boy was I wrong!

2) Benefit Porefessional- I like my Clarins Beauty Flash Balm much better. I do love the Hourglass Mineral Veil primer as well but in the winter time in the windy city, the extra moisturizer from the Clarins treats me better. HG is my summertime primer!

3) Burberry Brit EDT- I loved this and this was my first high end perfume in high school. I bought so many bottles of this! I have one that is 1/4 used and has been sitting there for years. 

4) Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Liner- I bought this over and over and over. I thought it was the best liquid liner in the world. I had tried so many- all of the drugstore brands and most of the high end brands. Until one year I was visiting family and my cousin introduced me to Dollywink Liquid Eyeliner a few years ago... Stila was gone!

5) Smith's Rosebud Salve- This was my go to lip balm for years until I discovered Dior Creme de Rose. I was with my Sephora addict friend and I was having one of those days that nothing looked good to me at Sephora and I didn't want to leave without buying anything. I picked the Creme de Rose because I love the packaging more than the Smith's one and I fell in love!

poshified

(0) Hearts

Thank you for reminding me about the Clarins Beauty Flash Balm! I still have one I need to break out and use for the upcoming winter :smileyhappy:

DTalksAll

Ahhh I need to think about this one & post tomorrow. I have a few HG products that are now replaced by better HG products, but I can't think of any that I can't stand now. 

poshified

(0) Hearts

I can't wait to see what you come up with! :smileyhappy:

jennypenny1995

Clairsonic.  It was my "HG" b/c of all the hype around it...until my skin freaked out and worsened because of it.  Slapped, chaffed, sunburned, and lots 'o pimples.  I was attractive!

poshified

Call me old-fashioned, but I still prefer the traditional method for facial cleansing. I've seen so many mixed reviews on the CLarisonic that I've decided to pass on it completely. :smileyhappy:

jennypenny1995

Old Fashioned, meet Old Fashioned Part 2.  Yep, that thing should be made for cleaning showers!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 24 replies
  • 27 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • kalex
    • DTalksAll
    • spoiledbrat
    • marydiva
    • jennypenny1995
    • poshified