kimmi1115

Top Ten Summer Products

After browsing the new products, possibly buying them, or shuffling through your stash, have you come across products that you're using often for the summer?  I figured by now some may have an idea of the top ten products for summer.  Here are mine:

topten.JPG

ud.JPG

drugstore.JPG

I thought the drugstore gems needed their own closeup lol.

1.  Urban Decay Naked palette:  I've worn the mattes in it a lot!  My love for neutrals really did return lol.

2.  Urban Decay Deep End from the UD 15 palette: Although blues can be scary, I apply it lightly and build up.  I love using it with neutrals and Freelove.

3.  Urban Decay Freelove:  It's kind of a peachy/light orangish color.  It reminds me of a tropical paradise lol.  And it makes my eyes look more blue than green.

4.  NARS mini bronzer in Laguna: Jxw200 started my addiction to bronzer lol.  I believe I'm applying it correctly since I don't turn out orange lol.  However, I'm still iffy about using it with blushes like some do.  I'm still new to the bronzer and blush world lol.

5.  TheBalm BalmShelter TM in Light/Medium: I'd say it'll be finished off after this summer or fall.  It's a really good TM, but it does not apply well with a foundation brush.  Other than that, it'll be sad when it is finally used up.

6.  Neutrogena 3 in 1 Concealer for Eyes in Light: Blends well, covers the evidence of my sinuses, and has SPF!  I've been trying to use SPF items more.

7.  Maybelline Volum' Express Plush (Waterproof): I needed a waterproof formula, and I like how light it feels.  I've not had any smudge issues with it.

8.  Urban Decay 24/7 Liner in Underground:  I use it a LOT! lol  I love using it just on my bottom lash line for a "more awake" look.

9.  Revlon Lip Butters: I couldn't decide which of these two I use the most, so I went with both and counted them as one lol.  The two in the picture are Sugar Frosting and Strawberry Shortcake.

10.  Bath and Body Works Signature Fragrance Mist in Peach Sparkle:  Although I don't like the taste of peaches, I love the smell of them lol.

missjr

Re: Top Ten Summer Products

In D.C., we’re used to hot, humid weather but this summer has been the hottest one that I can remember.  Normally I would panic and be in a quandary about what to do about makeup.  Thanks to my recent shopping trips to Sephora and other stores, I’ve been able to find products that are getting me through this hot summer looking quite fabulous and not missing a beat!  My top ten summer products are as follows:

1)       Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15.  It’s the first primer I’ve ever worn and I can’t imagine getting through the summer without it especially with my super oily skin.  Whether I'm wearing a liquid foundation or powder, my makeup goes on smoothly and is waterproofed and stays put all day.

2)      Murad Oil-Control Mattifier SPF 15.  This was suggested to me in the personalized products section of the site based on my profile.  Where has this product been all my life?  It's a godsend!  It goes on smoothly and keeps my skin matte for 8+ hours and reduces shine.  I LOVE this!  It can also be used as a primer.

3)      Clinique Moisture Surge Face Spray Thirsty Skin Relief.  I spritz my face a few times in the morning with this after cleansing and toning especially on hot days.  This light mist absorbs immediately and is 100% fragrance free and restores moisture to my skin without making it greasy. You can also use this over makeup to cool the skin.

4)      UD De-Slick Oil-Control Makeup Setting Spray.  This product is simply DA BOMB!  Although it doesn’t actually mattify my skin, it reduces shine and allows my makeup to stay on even in the most unpleasant of summer weather and through long work days and subway commutes.

5)      MUFE Face & Body foundation (#46 – Cognac).  I absolutely ADORE this water-based foundation!  It’s perfect for everyday wear during the summer and there is simply no way to tell that I’m wearing it.  It just looks as if I have great skin.  I use it as a base to even out my skin before applying concealer and blush.  Although the coverage is extremely sheer, I don’t need anything else during the summer and it actually lasts all day.  Sometimes I set it with the MAC Mineralize Natural Skinfinish powder (Deep Dark) if I want a more matte finish.

6)      NARS Powder Foundation SPF 12 (New Orleans).  This is another winner from NARS!  When I want to look a little more polished for work, this is my go-to powder foundation.  It goes on very sheer with a kabuki brush and provides not only a natural, matte look but it also provides protection against UVA/UVB rays.  As a plus, it also works great as a setting powder over liquid foundation.

7)      NARS Highlighting/Bronzing Blush Duo (Orgasm/Laguna).  The colors are simply gorgeous and are universal to any skin tones.  I love that it goes on very sheer and makes my skin look as if it’s glowing.

8)      Estee Lauder’s new Pure Glosses in Pink Kiss (shimmer) and Brazen Berry (shine).  These gorgeous shades go on very light and provide an excellent break from my usual MAC neutral Lipglass (Chai and Oh Baby).

9)      Bliss 24-“Heaven” healing body balm (which includes cocoa and shea butters) claims to provide 24-hour hydration salvation.  This body cream does exactly what it says it does and has a very light, clean scent.  So it won't clash with whatever fragrance I am wearing.   It’s concentrated enough to leave parched, dry skin looking healthy and well hydrated without that greasy feeling. 

10)   Bliss Fabulips Sugar Lip Scrub.  Since I’m wearing these very sheer lip glosses for the summer, my lips have to be on point.  I love this lip scrub, which smells (and tastes) quite yummy!   I exfoliate my lips with this 1 to 3 times a week after I shower.

Honorable mention goes to lots of fruits and veggies along with plenty of water.

melissabt

What a great post! Its nice to see what everyones favorites are:smileyhappy:

Here are my top 10 Summer Products:

1. St Tropez Self Tanning mousse- It smells really nice and clean. No sour self tanner scent.

2. Dior BB Cream

3. Smashbox BB Cream

4. Peter Thomas Roth Un-Wrinkle® Lip Balm SPF 15 (love the SPF)!

5. Nars Blush in Super Orgasm

6. Benefit High Beam

7. Nars Body Illuminator Laguna - brown with golden shimmer

8. Bliss Lemon and Sage Body Butter

9. Origins Drink Up Mask

10. Josie Maran Argan SPF 40

<3 Melissa
jxw200

Kimmi - I'm glad nars laguna is working for you!
Beautytester- your nails sound pretty!

I don't know if I have a top 10 but I'll try!
1. Nars tinted moisturizer
2. Nars smudge proof eyeshadow base
3. Diorshow maximizer
4. Fresh sugar coral
5. La mer lip balm
6. Chanel soleil de tan bronze universal
7. Ysl creme blush in bright coral
8. Guerlain bronzers (any of them!)
9. Real techniques expert face brush
10. Revlon photo ready cream blush in flushed

I'm loving cream cheek products alot right now lol.
sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

jxw200----Is the La Mer lipbalm worth the 50 dollars? The most expensive lip balm I bought was a Dior lipbalm (creme de rose and not at ALL worth the price..the Dior lipbalm was $28.69 with tax and the La Mer one with tax would be...$54.13...eeeeek)

sephoramusthave

It was actually really hard to pick just 10....

top10.jpg

1. Neutrogena Pure and Free Liquid Daily Sunblock SPF 50

2. Burts Bees Lip Shimmers (in the pic I have guava and strawberry, I have a few more somewhere...)

3. L'occitane Fabulous Serum (daytime version of my HG face cream, keeps skin hydrated and supple and very light)

4. Rosebud Salve in Minted Rose

5. Origins Never a Dull Moment Scrub

6. Bath and Body Works Body Spray in Black Raspberry Vanilla (HG scent from this store)

7. Origins Checks and Balances Cleanser

8. Benefit Dallas Bronzer

9. Sibu Beauty Seabuckthorn Complexion Soap

10. Burts Bees Pore Refining Mask

ran8

[ Edited ]

1.  Dr. Jart+ Premium BB Cream

2.  Shu Uemura ultimate natural mascara in dark brown

3.  Benefit One hot minute

4.  Sephora collection eye shadow in Shimmering Sunset (discontinued)

5.  Sephora Collection eye shadow in 11 creme caramel

6.  Urban Decay Primer potion in Sin

7.  LAVANILA The Healthy Sun Screen SPF40 Face Cream

8.  Burberry Brit Sheer

9.  Shu Uemura depsea mist (fragrance free)

10.  Super by Perricone Coconut Quench Mist

makeupobesessed

Imy top ten beauty products for the summer is my Naked palette, benefit high beam, Nars Lana bronzer and orgasm blush, Clinique TM, Smashbox BB cream, fresh sugar SPF lip gloss, Badgal Lsh masacara, UD Freelove shadow, UD marshmallow sparkle body powder ( not a lot of sparkle and taste good for a while). While I usually am not totally loyal to any one brand, these have been my consistently this summer so far. I'm not using any of ration as my complexion is doing well for the summer and it's heavy. I guess I'd also have to add UD setting spray and my PTR SPF 30 lotion I discovered in the Summer Safety kit. It's so very hard to narrow it down, I could keep adding and adding.
maltipoo66

Fun post!  Here are my top ten:

1. Urban Decay Naked Palette

2. Lorac Protectint

3. MUFE Aqua shadow pencil in 20E Pearly Taupe (love it!)

4. Buxom Lip polish in Leslie

5. MUFE Rouge Artist Natural in N18 Powdery Pink (gorgeous everyday pink)

6. Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-hour blush in Blissful

7. MUFE hd primer in Blue

8. Clinique high impact and lash doubling mascaras (sample sizes)

9. Kat Von D Ludwig eyeshadow palette (works well with the naked palette shades)

10. MUFE lift concealer

It's getting hot out there, but I love it!

kimmi1115

@maltipoo  I was about to list my Buxom lip polish in April lol. 

@beautytester  I keep browsing the Essie luxe effects polishes.  How well do you like them?

@sephoramusthave  I was quite surprised at how lasting the new Signature Fragrance sprays are.  The "regular" ones didn't last that long, so I was kind of iffy at first with the new ones.

@jxw200  I love the NARS Laguna!  I keep browsing NARS products to figure out what to try next from that line lol.

ChicDabbler

@Kimmi. Well, aside from Sephora 3-1 I  never used a topcoat before. It's very gooey compare to most nail polish, but it dries pretty well and you can't feel the bumpy glitter, it felt pretty smooth. The glitter coat look like the previous picture except the sizes are more irregular. That's about it. The amount of glitter is just right for me, so I like it.

kimmi1115

@beautytester and @jxw200  Thank you for the info on the Essie polish!  I may have to pick one up from Walgreens to try.  I've been getting into using glitter (polish and loose) and it seemed like something neat to try. 

@sephoramusthave  Since you use lip balm at night, have you tried the C.O. Bigelow My Favorite Night Balm from BBW?

sephoramusthave

kimmi---Nope never tried it. I only have one lipgloss from BBW that I got for Christmas, I think its a cinnamon flavor and its nothing special.

kimmi1115

@sephoramusthave  It seems to be hit or miss with their lipgloss lines.  Some of them kind of remind me of the Philosophy ones.

sephoramusthave

Kimmi----Yeah I know. Is the night balm that you talked about really good?

kimmi1115

@sephoramusthave  The night balm has made a huge difference for me.  Sometimes, the corners of my lips will crack open, and it hurts like heck.  I then have to use a prescribed gel on it to get it to heal up faster.  This usually happens because I wear a retainer when I go to bed, and if I breathe through my mouth when my allergies are bugging me.  Since using the night balm, I don't have the cracking corner problem as often as I did.  The only time it happens now is when I forgot to use the night balm like 5 nights in a row or something like that.  Forgetting a few nights doesn't bother me, though.  Although it's a small tube, it lasts a long time.  I'm on my second tube of it now.

katie1724

[ Edited ]

@kimmi: I have always had this problem (corners of mouth cracking) since I was a kid! I was originally told it was due to a vitamin deficiency (maybe it still is?) but I have no idea. I have never worn a retainer. I do always keep a tube of Polysporin with me when this is an issue, though, and that seems both to soothe it and to help it heal faster.

Re: The original topic -- there is no "summer" for me, since it's consistently about 55 -- 65 degrees where I am -- haha. I kind of have the same year-round skincare and makeup routine, but when I've lived in places that did have 0 degree winters and 95 degree summers, I definitely switched moisturizers, etc. I will be heading home for a week soon, though...I'm sure that will be a shock. :smileyhappy:

My current favorite 10 products at the moment are:

1. Avène sunscreen;

2. Shiseido eye cream;

3. NARS Larger than Life gloss in Odalisque (it's summery...right?);

4. NARS lipstick in Heat Wave (my favorite evening red); and

5. Burberry Blush in Tangerine (peachy but subtle);

6. Lotion I randomly became addicted to at a hotel: Bath & Body Works Aromatherapy Orange Ginger -- it's not even that moisturizing, but it smells so good I can't get enough;

7. Labello Fruity Shine chapstick;

8. Sachajuan Hair Repair (used as a treatment conditioner);

9. NARS Pressed Powder in Snow; and

10. Burberry eyeshadow in Rosewood.

:smileyhappy:

kimmi1115

@katie1724  I've not heard of it being from a Vitamin deficiency before.  That's interesting.  My mom has the same problem, and she does have to take vitamins.  I may have to do some Googling!

katie1724

[ Edited ]

@Kimmi: I have no idea if this is true or not; it's just what my pediatrician said (keep in mind this was like 25+ years ago). I just looked it up, though...apparently common causes are excessive licking of the affected area, sleeping with your mouth open (drooling), having braces / dental work, can be from a chronic yeast infection (to this area), or systemic conditions like iron-deficiency anemia, B vitamin deficiency (or diabetes, or cancer...)..so, in short: I guess it can be attributed to many different things (!). :smileyhappy:

kimmi1115

@katie1724  It sounds like the medicine commercials where the side effects are as bad/worse as the actual condition the medicine is supposed to treat lol.  Braces and dental work...about 2 and a half years of braces, nightly retainer to keep teeth straight, and having 4 wisdom teeth cut out at once.  Sounds about right lol.

katie1724

[ Edited ]

Oops, I meant excessive** (edited). I know, some drug commercials sound like SNL skits sometimes with the huge list of possible side effects! I still haven't had my wisdom teeth out. Eek! I actually have one coming in (at 31...which is sort of unheard of but it figures! :smileysad:). I'm choosing denial for the moment, since I know it will probably need to come out...but I can't think about it now :smileyhappy:

On a semi-related note, I want to add Jack Black Vanilla / Lavender balm to my list of summer essentials -- this stuff is really good for dry / cracked / peeling lips. I love it!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 29 replies
  • 82 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • sephoramusthave
    • maltipoo66
    • jxw200
    • ran8
    • kimmi1115