Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

To Cancel or Not to Cancel Sephora Play Box

I've become increasingly disappointed with the Play boxes. Anyone else feel the same? Partly because I feel the boxes contents are predictable for example, you'll get a face primer about every other month (or even every month). Which may be great for people who can use primers, but my skin loathes them (yes my Play profile is updated and correct). Throw it in the trash. If you get a makeup sample it is in some obscure color that may be fun to try on one time, but you're not walking out of the house with it on. Throw it in the trash. See the pattern, I pretty much throw almost everything I get in the trash. BUT every once in a while you'll get a gem of a sample and that just reinforces me to want to keep subscribing. When Play first came out I felt like there was better samples being sent, but now it's just whomever they have a deal with. Should I just hang in there and ride out this rough patch? Thoughts?

Re: To Cancel or Not to Cancel Sephora Play Box

I totally agree with you. The boxes have been terrible. Yet another Smashbox primer, yet another Sephora brand makeup remover, yet another black eye liner... the boxes have been curated for those that have never used makeup, wasting perfectly good opportunitys to let us try new products by new brands .  Sephora did though redeem themselves with the May box. The T. Harper mask, the Milk product, the new Clean scent that was nice. Getting better Sephora keeping current so I'm sticking around another month.  Although I wish the Harper was something besides a mask. A hair and face mask both is overkill especially a hair mask that I have to put on wet and wait 15 min. Who has that kind of time?  I only use hair masks that are overnight leave in. Also, will never use the lip injection since lip plumping has been in several boxes and that is so 2 years ago.  I honestly wonder how a company with over 30,000 products manages to recycle the same 5 each month but May was a step in right direction. 

I have mixed feelings about my Sephora Play experience.

I liked the variety of products you could get, but I think Play was better when it first came out based on the YouTube unboxings I saw. 

I cancelled my subscription a couple of months ago and I don't regret it because you can't really customize the box besides filling out your profile about your skin type etc. The samples were starting to become repetitive as well. 

I was so excited to finally be able to sign up for the Play box a few months ago after being on a waiting list for a while.

However, if May is uninspiring then I will cancel and try another beauty box subscription. I agree with the OP here for sure, pretty much all my samples are ending up in the graveyard of crap under the sink or in the trash. At this point Play Box simply isnt worth ten bucks a month for me but we'll see if May can redeem Sephora or not.

I cancelled months ago and haven't missed it at all.

I couldn't find how to cancel it.. Can you tell me where to cancel it? Thank you!

What's happened to the music downloads and it looks much different this month on Play! area of the site? Nothing about May yet either? 

I've been subscribed since July 2016 and overall, I've been quite pleased! Obviously I haven't loved every item from every box, but for just $10 plus the 50 free points? Not too bad! Though, disclaimer, I'm a sucker for mini/travel-sized items, so that probably helps. I've made unnecessary purchases more than once for a fun $25 promo/GWP, so I don't really see the $10 play box as that much more of an investment/risk. 

Also, I do think I've been quite lucky, because I seem to always get the variation/box that I want/fits me best (though I'm easy to please, medium/light skin tone, combo/non-sensitive skin, straight unfussy hair). No FOMO so far and I figure if there's at least 2 items that I'll use, win! Looking back at my history, only the March play box was a total wash (I only liked one item), while I've had least 7 months of three or more interesting/fun samples. 

BUT, I do think the sephora collection items are kind of a cop out. If they want to push their brand (I LOVE their cream lip stains), they should be included as the bonus item, instead of yet another perfume.

If my May box is underwhelming I'm definitely going to cancel my subscription. I've only liked 2 of the items I've received out of all my 2017 boxes, and most of the samples I've received for the past few months have been unusable for me. The last box I got where I liked/was able to use most of the samples was October 2016 I believe? I've had my subscription since either the first or second month of Play and I feel like each box gets more disappointing. At this point for me it's just a complete waste of money and product. It's also frustrating because I feel like I'm getting items that clearly are not usable for me based on my Play profile.

Sephora has gotten a lot of new brands lately I'd like to try out, but instead I keep getting the same Smashbox primers, KVD or MUFE black eyeliner, glamglow stuff that breaks me out, tarte, and clinique. I wish they'd switch the brands up a bit so even if a sample doesn't end up working out for me at least it'd be something new to try instead of the same brands and repetitive products over and over. I wish they'd also make the boxes more curated towards new products...I've been getting samples of that horrible Smashbox primer for years it feels like.

I know a lot of people were disappointed with the April 2017 box, but I actually loved most of it! I love high-end makeup, but I don't have the money to buy everything I would like to try. So the Smashbox primer, for example, is something I have wanted to try for ages but could never justify spending the money, especially if it didn't work. I was thrilled to get that in my last box. However, I thought the eye makeup remover was useless, especially since everyone at this point has their own preference for removing makeup.

All in all, for someone like me, I think the PLAY box is a great value and I am glad they let us try some more well-known samples. I do wish I had the option to get another color besides black for eye makeup, because I hate how black looks on my porcelain skin.

I cancelled mine a few months ago. i was getting stuff that i couldn't use. the boxes arent personalized and i thought they would be due to the little beauty survey you take when signing up. i had high hopes for this box but i didnt like it 

I have not been happy lately either. When i first subscribed I picked sephora play over ipsy because I liked the idea of getting all luxury brands to try but this last month of sephora play was a huge disappoint and the month before had some bizarre things as well (hot pink sparkly UD lipstick i'm looking at you)

Other boxes for the same price seem to be sending out newer things to try even if they are not all luxury and you get some say in what you get. Sephora Play meanwhile has been sending out the same old samples that I have already tried---I subscribed to get cool new stuff to try, not the same products I have received as samples a million times. They have so much to choose from brand wise and I feel like we have not been reaping the benefits of that. 

I have decided to stick with sephora for the next month or two as we roll into summer because they are a lot of new products dropping so maybe we will get some cool samples, but if they do not get it together I am switching to ipsy or maybe splurging and checking out boxy charm. 

There are just way too many choices for the same price that seem to be sending out better things so they really need to start putting some actual thought into what they send. 

Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 12 Contributors
testing