poshified

Things Youtube Beauty Gurus Do That I Can't

I'm sure y'all watch YT tutorials and even have some of your own favorite gurus you always turn to.

What's the one (or more than one) thing that those gurus do that you can never do in your day-to-day makeup routine?

For me, I simply cannot use a "pea-sized" amount of primer or foundation to cover my entire face like the gurus can, even when I'm going for a lighter coverage.

Share away :smileyhappy:

Luxeface86

Re: Things Youtube Beauty Gurus Do That I Can't

I still to this day, cannot for the life of me... look like Angelina Jolie. I have since perfected my kitten flick in the process. But still... I just look like me. How is it that Sam and Nic can always look like the person they are doing their makeup of?

poshified

Ahhh the Pixiwoos -- talk about talented! Celebs like Angelina Jolie, Lauren Conrad, and Megan Fox make it seem so easy!

Kiki1517

I have to "ditto" alot of these. Glad to know it's not just me that uses for like a nickel-quarter size amount of foundation, but feel like a frosted cake when watching videos and they always say "a little goes a long way". I'm like, are you applying on a child size face? I've never really gotten the hang of using concealer to highlight, it always looks cakey, so I just skip it and use shimmer powder instead. Falsies take forever, so they're reserved for special occasions. Last but not least, winged eyeliner! I just cannot get the hang of it. 

poshified

Haha, I need at least two pumps of a full coverage BB cream for my entire face to get medium coverage!

jinxski

Applying fake lashes on a daily basis. I can't even get them on for formal events and they always look so artificial to me, even those super natural ones! I love how they look on my favorite gurus though, such a flawless finish!

poshified

I feel that whenever I apply falsies (admittedly, 4-5 times my entire life), they always felt uncomfortable -- not mattering the brand.

CzaCee

what can they do that i can't? hmm. maybe getting in front of the camera and film myself while doing makeup and being all hyper about it. haha. coz i'm shy like that. :smileysad: lol.

poshified

(0) Hearts

It's like they chugged an entire gallon of coffee before filming in front of the camera! haha

divagirl90

I totally agree! I'm way too camera shy to do what they do!

poshified

Adding using a paddle foundation brush to apply foundation to the list!

aviscardi

eye liner from afar, i need to be all up in my mirror lol

divagirl90

lol I'm usually 3 inches from my mirror when applying eyeliner and mascara, but my vision is bad without my glassess

poshified

I'm always up close to my mirror with eyeliner and mascara -- also with my mouth half open! lol

tashalicious

i can not use a small compact mirror to do my whole face, maybe for lipstick touch ups but i don't see how they do it.

poshified

(0) Hearts

Good one! I didn't even think about it!

clarks18

I agree with you sephoralovex.  Anyone can make a video of what they bought at Sephora, outfits, or a first impression of a product.  I have learned so much more from watching a few that I actually consider gurus.  I really like watching Wayne Goss's videos.  He is a genius.  He has so many tips and tricks.  He also will give you comparable products to higher ends products.  He has videos where he will show you all the things you can do with a MAC 217 brush.  He is amazing and I've learned so much from him.  I also really like Jaclyn Hill and Lauren Curtis.  Both beautiful ladies with lots of product and technique knowledge.  To get back to the question though...  I wish I could get my under eye area to "glow".  Maybe it's because I'm so fair that it just never looks like it does in the videos. 

Kiki1517

OMG Wayne Goss is amazing! If I could wish for one artist to make my skin look flawless everyday it would him hands down. 

poshified

It also helps that he's quite easy on the eyes and those winks... ahh! :smileywink: Jaclyn Hill is definitely one underrated guru!

sephoralovex

I also agree with Janine and Mia. To me, youtube beauty gurus are ones that actually teach you and do tutorials or how to's. Not the ones who just do hauls, ootds, etc. Defiantly agree on how talented Promise Phan on YT is. She can do so many transformations that is so great. True talent there :smileyhappy: I have learned tons from her!

So what can't I do that actual gurus can? Probably just special FX makeup. 

poshified

Have you seen Michelle Phan's Lady Gaga transformation? Quite impressive as well!

sephoralovex

Yeah loved that video!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 71 replies
  • 141 hearts
  • 33 in conversation
    • sephoralovex
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • poemelyric