Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Stigma on Returning Items

I always try to utilize Sephora's free samples whether it be in store or online to try to get a feel for a product, but for some items that can be otherwise impossible, i.e. mascara, lipstick, gloss, etc. And at times (okay a lot of times) I find myself returning product whether it be the product didn't work out for me or it was an impulse buy that I shouldn't have made. Just wondering if I'm alone in maybe overusing Sephora's very liberal return policy? (Just putting it out there, when I return the impulse buys, they are unused and can go back on the shelf!) I've made Rouge for the second time in a row so it's not like they can necessarily complain about my patronage but I always feel self conscious when I make a return...especially at other stores! 

Re: Stigma on Returning Items

Maybe my local Sephora is just really friendly but I haven't had a problem returning anything. Most returns I've made were things I ordered online that turned out to be the wrong colour for my skin. Once I made a mistake on my end, I ordered a Devacurl box that was meant for super curly hair but my hair is more wavy curly. I didn't notice when I ordered it. The SA was so nice about it even though it was completely my fault for not reading closely, she said people make the same mistake a lot. I guess I've just been really lucky but I also think I've only ever made 3-4 returns and I always have the receipt. I also generally just ask them for store credit when it's online orders instead of it going back on my credit card though so maybe that makes me seem more trustworthy since they aren't losing money. 

As Rouge, I am a makeup junkie, and I do overpurchase sometimes🙄. I figure if the company wants to change its policy it will do so. I'm not one of those people who buys a lippie uses a third of it, and returns it....that's nasty. But online I can't tell about color, you know? I got a Tom Ford lippie a few weeks ago that I thought was a warm rose with a little sparkle...dear lord it was screaming coral! I looked at it on Sephora and the Tom Ford site and neither of them were accurate. You can't tell if a mascara is good unless you wear it a few times in the field. The main thing to me is not to buy intending to return and trying not to get "impulse sold" by promises of special gifts.

According to the TRE's op procedure, us folk in the States are nearly ten times as fraudulent as those of you in Canada!  For shame! 😄

I return Sephora items sometimes.  I buy a lot too.  I buy online and sometimes the item is not as expected, and none of us want to be stuck with a prestige product that does not work for us when we payed a prestige price for it.  I think it is the grocer Sprouts that states it the best...they'd rather have you try new items and return a few, than to never try a new item at all.  Most companies are aware that people will not try a high priced product and be stuck with it, so a return policy is gladly offered so their product can get awareness and exposure without the consumer having to take great risk to try something new.  So buy away...and don't feel bad about returns.  Just follow Sephora's return policy, which is generous, and be kind and courteous to the associate you're dealing with.  Most people will be treated well by a retail associate (it's their job afterall) if they're treated well in kind.

I have no stigma. First of all my local Sephora store is...

I have no stigma. First of all my local Sephora store is not local at all... I have to drive 2-3 hours each way to the store mall and drive around for at least 15-30 minutes (on a good day) to find parking! That is to say, I buy most of the products online. The only brands my local Sephora store carries ( that I'm into) are the Anastasia brow wand, the Kat Von D liner, the Givenchy mascara and the Too faced lipstick. That said, in the beginning when I bought items that never worked for me, I kept them. Now I don't see the point of investing so much money on a product that doesn't work for me and that I never had the possibility of trying out! I can't complain though, for the most part the employees there are real sweethearts!

I have been shopping in Sephora for many many years. I rarely return an item (maybe 3 a year). Last month I returned an item with no recipt. Only the second time I have ever done that. You would have thought I had asked the lady for money out her own pocket. I have learned that it really depends on the mood of the sales person on how your treated.

If that happens ask for the manager, if they are the manager get their name and contact the company. Don't be mean, but firm and cool headed. Sephora's return policy is well defined, and if you have the Sephora app on your phone then you have a record of your transaction. Also, they can email you the receipt now, and you can put in a folder in your email so you never lose it. 

As a longtime retail employee, I can give three pieces of advice to make any return go smoother.....don't be confrontational, don't act as if the associate is your servant or your BFF, and don't try to get a return processed if the store is crazy busy unless you have no choice. If the store is nuts then be prepared to wait until someone can catch their breath to help you. Hope this helps.

I have been shopping in Sephora for many many years. I rarely return an item (maybe 3 a year). Last month I returned an item with no recipt. Only the second time I have ever done that. You would have thought I had asked the lady for money out her own pocket. I have learned that it really depends on the mood of the sales person on how your treated. 

Hopefully I don't get reprimanded or judged for what I'm about to chime in, but perhaps my experiences will ease some of your guys' concerns. 

I prefer purchasing 90% of my stuff online to avoid all the mall craziness. 

Between being too petite for things, stuff not fitting well or the material is cheaper than I thought, damages from transit, or simply not liking it, I have had to return a lot of items. Despite this, I've almost never had a problem with returns at Sephora or other places. 

Granted the SAs aren't happy because I guess running returns are harder than purchases, but in the end you did pay hard earned money and if X item doesn't make you happy, you shouldn't be shamed for it. (Assuming you're not abusing it etc). 

I 95% of the time do have my receipt so it's even less of hassle, but it is standard for them to use your DL if you don't have a receipt. My understanding is it's to ensure that you're not being abusive and ultimately scamming stores. For example, some people may find items or steal items/lightly used testers and return it without a receipt to get cash. 

Im unsure why VS does the DL even with a receipt. When I've asked they tell me it's to just make sure "I'm good". But I basically never get a direct, simple answer. 

You are right on.  Unfortunately there are bad people out there.  Sephora has always been great with returns.  I wonder how that company, tre, decides what constitutes abuse.  I unfortunately spend way too much money on makeup from Sephora and I'm sure I return more than most people.  I just wonder if how much you spend is taken into account.  

Obviously someone who spends 5 grand a year at Sephora will have more returns than the person who spends 500 a year...

I really hate returning anything at Sephora, but I have done it a few times.  I had an allergic reaction to one product that went back quick as lightning, and I had another product I ordered online that the pump didn't work when I got it, so I took it to the store and got an exchange, but other than that I've never taken anything back.

There were a few items I almost did return, but decided to keep because I found a way to make some use of them.

I think about things for a long time before I buy (sometimes so long that I've had items become sold out before I decide I want them!), so I rarely have a regret purchase.  But my personal opinion on Sephora returns in general is that if you buy something and for whatever reason (it doesn't work for you, wrong color, makes you break out, regret purchase, etc) you decide you don't want it anymore, then take it back.  Its your money and Sephora wants you to be a happy customer.  If you're happy, you'll buy more.

The only thing I get a little iffy about is when people use most of a product and try to return it.  I do understand this happens for legitimate reasons on occasion, so I'm not passing an overall judgement, but there are some people (as we all know) who like to try working the system.  

In another life I used to manage restaurants, and I would happily accommodate a customer who was unhappy in most cases, but when the diner ate all their food, drank all their drinks, then decided that the food was the most disgusting thing they'd ever had, the service was garbage, etc., and they wanted and refund plus an extra free meal and a free dessert, it wasn't something I would accommodate.

It's the same concept.  If you hate the item, don't wait until three quarters or more of it is used up before bringing it back.  Have some class.

@ghrelin My parents have owned a few restaurants, & YES. It's infuriating when diners do things like that. And sometimes they'll even take it further & leave scathing reviews online, conveniently leaving out how they somehow managed to clean their plates, despite the "not good" food. Sorry for the mini rant, but just had to chime in 🙂

@ohheyitscindyk  Don't even apologize because it's so true.  Working / owning / managing / etc., a restaurant is a completely different animal than other businesses.  Customers who pull that kind of thing don't realize that we (as in the actual restaurant) don't want them to come back so threatening to not return is kind of like, 'is that a promise'?  

But it's pretty frustrating when after all of that they go online and leave a nasty review.   

@ghrelin You are so right. Everyone has to eat, that's just how it is.

Hahaha there is this one customer who complains every week when he comes in, & EVERY TIME he says, "I won't come back!" And once my mom just was so tired of it, & she replied, "You always say that, but you always come back!" Lol the look on his face..

I don't return things often, but if I do, I have no problem making returns. Sure, the cashier never seems too happy with accepting returns but what can ya do? I believe I have legitimate reasons for making returns beyond item defects and/or breakage (upon receipt/purchase). 🙂

I also prefer FREE mailing returns sometimes, although it doesn't give me instant gratification. 

haha I'll have to make a list of retailers that have free mailing returns! 😉 I do like to avoid that awkward confrontation. 

Anonymous Insider

I don't return personal items, (gifts, yes) but then I think I'm overly careful with my beauty purchases.  One glaring mistake I made recently was buying an air-dry styling product at the end of summer.  Why would I air dry my hair during F/W? Brr.

Everyone has their own methods and thoughts on returns. For me it's a process, because I hate awkward annnnnd I'm a collector, so getting me to come up off of something even if it is lack luster is a task. It takes a ton for me to return anything. If it was an impulse buy then no, I will not return it. It isn't Sephora or any other establishment's fault that I decided I needed another lippie and palette at 3 am because I couldn't sleep. If I truly dislike it I'll gift it. I have plenty of friends/family  who enjoy my cast offs. I returned a perfume new in package two Christmases ago? But that was because I'd bought the wrong one as a gift. I think it's a to each his own thing. I don't return because it helps me personally to budget my luxury expenditures better. I think before I buy more if I don't have a get out of jail free card. If your system works for you and isn't breaking any rules, go for it.

I don't mind returning items that I have never used/opened. Sometimes I'll just buy something because I HAD to have it, but two weeks later I forgot I ever bought it. At least at my Sephoras, the cashiers seldom ask if I used the product or not - they'll just slap on a "defective" sticker regardless. So I mean they're wasting their own money. 75% of the time I'll remember to bring up that 'hey it's unused it can go back on the shelf!' but my shoddy memory doesn't like to work the other 25% of the time to remind them when I'm getting side eye at the cash out. 

Sephora uses a 3rd party to monitor returns called "The Retail Equation"..

http://www.theretailequation.com/Consumers/FAQ

this company tracks all customers returns and monitors for what they deem "abuse". The majority of issues I have seem are with people returning without a receipt, however that is not the only time people have problems. Unfortunately, if it's an issue you won't even know until when you try and return something and they let you know that your return privileges are suspended.

if you google the company you will get lots of blogs and posts about this.

Edit:

I should also mention that TRE does not limit it's decision to just Sephora, it tracks you at other placed like Best Buy, Home Depot, etc. and if you make a return at Best Buy they factor that into your 'return report' when you try to take something back at Sephora. It's all connected.

Oh man! That's kind of scary. Do you know if it tracks returns only annually then resets? Or is it an ongoing thing? That would be a total downer for those who only like to online shop!

40 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos1
  • Screenshot_2017-07-18-13-44-57.png
testing