Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Stigma on Returning Items

I always try to utilize Sephora's free samples whether it be in store or online to try to get a feel for a product, but for some items that can be otherwise impossible, i.e. mascara, lipstick, gloss, etc. And at times (okay a lot of times) I find myself returning product whether it be the product didn't work out for me or it was an impulse buy that I shouldn't have made. Just wondering if I'm alone in maybe overusing Sephora's very liberal return policy? (Just putting it out there, when I return the impulse buys, they are unused and can go back on the shelf!) I've made Rouge for the second time in a row so it's not like they can necessarily complain about my patronage but I always feel self conscious when I make a return...especially at other stores! 

Re: Stigma on Returning Items

The TRE only monitors returns made without your receipt, by using your state ID or drivers license.  Not if you have your receipt or you use your beauty insider card/credit card to locate the purchase.  They can only monitor if you use your ID/license to return.

Screenshot_2017-07-18-13-44-57.png

Actually they can take it from I'D or from Receipt.

When they scan the Receipt...many are members of a rewards club or shopper Club and that number shows on the Receipt. So that info can be pulled directly from that shoppers account.

It is not just ID's. 

@Insomniacmuffin I think what @samairah915 said is right. I did used my ID to return two foundation (gift from my friends, brand new) last year to freestanding sephora and I got a notice after they processed my return. It says my return has been approved but I could not return anything else without receipt within next 365 days...(yes, it's from the TRE). Then the SA told me they could only accept returns of 2 items without receipt within a year per ID. But there would be no effect on regular returns w/receipt.

What's bothers me the most is the return/exchange in Victoria's Secret. They requires ID even w/receipt as well as exchanges. And yes, this was also monitored by TRE... so when my yoga classmates and I ordered over 15 yoga pants together on VS site and did not work well, it was a nightmare to return those pants...........sigh

I dislike VS' return/exchange policy, too. I will say, however, that I've only had to give my ID a couple times to return an item without a receipt. I've never been asked for my ID when I've had the receipt, though, I wonder if it depends on the store/SA?

I refuse to pay to ship the items back, so I always go in store. Recently I tried to return a hoodie past the 90 day window for merchandise credit, as stated, but the cashier refused & said she didn't believe that it was one of their hoodies, despite me having a receipt. And the hoodie also had a VS logo sewn on, as well as tags. She didn't even bother trying to look it up with the item number.. she just looked at the hoodie & said that she'd never seen it before. I understand that their stores & online stores are separate entities, but still.

@ohheyitscindyk I think it depends on your location. My local mall has both VS and PINK (two separate stores), both of them requires ID to process return/exchanges with receipt.

OMG, that must be a horrible experience! It's ridiculous they denied their own product! If it passed 90 days, they should at least process it for a store credit or non-receipt return!! Did you call the CS number or try another day to store??

@sarahshter That's why I stopped buying from VS. That 15 yoga pants have the same design of glitter angel wings. And that glitters are falling like crazy. The lady on the CS line told us to return it to store in order to avoid return shipping fee. And bcos of the TRE, four of us have to show up with our ID to return those.............It's so awkward and embarrassing........what a nightmare!

@Sodayui That makes sense! I do think it's odd, though, because these are the same stores that lock all the doors but one to prevent shoplifting. So you'd think they would require an ID, just in case.

No I didn't, but you're right, I should at least call CS & see what they have to say! I think I was just sort of embarrassed then & I threw it back in my closet 😞 But now that I'm thinking about it, I'm annoyed all over again! This is a good reminder to dig it back out & try again.

@ohheyitscindyk 

Awww~~ Don't be depressed!! I know your feeling!

“pat the head”的图片搜索结果(pat pat)

But it's not your fault and there's no point to keep it since you don't care for it! Definitely try it!! Call the CS! 😛

@Sodayui Thank you, I will!

That's what I was thinking of before I got to the bottom of your post. I returned items to VS and even with the receipt they still scanned me through tre.  Kind of upset about it now that it goes into my record.  Makes me not want to purchase from those dealers anymore.

@samairah915   that's great news - can you link us to where you got that information from?

@Insomniacmuffin  That's a little scary... what if you buy a lot of clothes online (either they're not available in store or you can't make it into the store very often) and then end up having to return them? You honestly don't know how clothes are going to fit until you try them on, and it would be awful to be not allowed to make returns at any stores that use TRE because of that.

so true @Saschattack

and consider how many items Sephora sells "online only" so you dont even have the opportunity to swatch or experience them beforehand to make an informed buying choice.. yiiiiiiiikes.

In Canada (Ontario)  there are consumer regulations that allow the return of any purchase online within 30-days of receipt. The item can be lightly used. . They cannot refuse your return. They can however refuse future purchasers if you are a returns abuser.

really @CheerMomma? can you link to something? 

Depends. If every time a new line of gloss comes out, you buy 20 and return 19, then probably. Or if you impulse buy every week and return every week, then you might want to reexamine your habits. But if the product you are buying is something you thought would work, and would keep if it works, then that's what returns are for.

Sephora SAs have made samples of lipstick/lipglossess for me with no problem. No mascara samples, but I keep an eye out on the promo/perks/sample section on Sephora and buys when there's a mini mascara offer. It's usually Dior or Lancome, but I've gotten Buxom, Bobbi Brown and MUFE before.

lipgloss sample? naaaaaaah, i'll take a hard pass on sampling anything that other people can stick their fingers into, or do lord knows what with that doe foot applicator before putting it back in the tube. i'll swatch it on my hand but that ish is not coming anywhere near my lips

It must be my store but I've gotten resistance on getting a free sample... like she just seemed to roll her eyes and kinda be like "really?"

This happened to me today! I should have said I was a rouge maybe that would have helped her attitude. After, I started picking up some stuff, everybody suddenly wanted to help me. So annoyed. Left almost all back to the shelves, came home and ordered online. 

Same thing happens at my store(s)! The SA's seem very snooty about giving samples if you don't already have products in hand. 

I hate SAs like that. Occasionally in Sephora (and Nordie), you will get SA that are too lazy to make samples or would much prefer for you to buy instead. Just ignore it, or if you feel uncomfortable, complain about it very clearly and firmly in the survey feedback section (the one they ask you to fill out after given you the receipt).

I had a few bad experiences at a Sephora near me, and I fill out the feedback with complaints every time. The services got better after my 4th or 5th complaint, lol.

Conversation Stats
Photos1
  • Screenshot_2017-07-18-13-44-57.png
testing