REGRETTABLE TRENDS AND BEAUTY HABITS -- OH NO !

jemly

REGRETTABLE TRENDS AND BEAUTY HABITS -- OH NO !

ok, story time.

are there any specific trends you took part in--or habits you too part of--only to look back and think 'WHAT WAS I THINKING?!'. it may be embarrassing, it may be humorous, either way--it's one of the more entertaining elements of beauty/makeup that we can only learn to fully understand (and appreciate !) with hindsight. 

in the early 2000s i hated the fact i was pale, so i was often a victim of the earlish days of the self tanner craze. i remember thinking it was MAGIC, only to to notice the next day in fresh daylight that i had bright orange streaks running down my calf. and you'd think that would've taught me my lesson but i'd just pretend like it wasn't there and continued on with it for months. another was the disaster at my attempt at a glossy eyelids (posted about more thoroughly in the 'what was your first sephora purchase' thread). and i'll add more to these 'confessions' as i remember more !

just to note: this is all in good-spirited nostalgic fun, and NOT to demean anyone's tastes or experiences.

beauty4ashes

Re: REGRETTABLE TRENDS AND BEAUTY HABITS -- OH NO !

JORDACHE JEANS!

It took two people to put on!

And, to pull the zipper up, we needed Needle-Nose Pliers!

jozkid

(0) Hearts

OMG!!!! Yes!!! Designer jeans (well, the first time around) were huge back in the early 80s. You weren't anyone without a pair of Calvins (or Jordache a little later)!

kssweetheart

I was dying for a pair of Jordache Jeans - but my Mother would never have spent that much money on a teeny-bopper at the time, especially since I was the youngest of a large family. I prayed that somehow I'd be able to get some Jordache Jeans before school began the following year --- guess what? I WON 2 pair of Jordache Jeans on a Radio call in contest! I swore that 'Yes!! There is a God!" Life was good. :smileyhappy:

jemly

[ Edited ]

i used to LOVE this lip stuff i had that was like a light frosted purple. much like 'concealer lips' i thought the color counteracted any redness in my face, and looked pretty natural. nope--LIGHT FROSTED PURPLE will just make you look DEAD. which is ok if dead is the look you're going for, but it wasn't the look i was going for.

chlotam

These things were all the rage in the 5th grade. I used to have a collection!boobiesbracelet.jpg

HawaiianEyes7

Everyone wore these in like grade 9 for me! My school banned them because of what they say on them!

kbmatthews

How long ago was that for you? This was totally a thing for my brothers at the beginning of highschool, but that was only a few years ago!

chlotam

(0) Hearts

Im 19 right now, so Id say 7 years ago? Lol

Sonny4President

(0) Hearts

They didn't ban it at my school, I remember asking someone what it was, and I was just like... oh. cool.

It's awareness I guess, but I remember joking about how if there was a bracelet saying "I <3 Testies" it would be a whole different story lol

kssweetheart

(0) Hearts

After noticing the words on those bracelets........were they the exact same ones your brothers wore? Or did you mean that 'style'. Funny picture in my head

annekevdb

Well, I am definitely feeling my age with all you beauties who were in middle school in the 90s and 00s. I had the glorious experience of middle school in the very early 80's and high school in the mid 80s.   Oh the make-up tragedies and fashion errors. Holy smokes!  

First - I never plucked by brows, but I used a brown WNW $1 pencil to color them in. Dark brown. Huge eyebrows. I looked like Groucho Marx. (You can see how blonde I am in the profile photo). Tragic.

Sun-In to highlight hair. One - it couldn't make my hair lighter, it just fried it. Made my friend's hair orange.

I used baby powder to powder my face. I don't know why. I thought it worked, apparently.

Designer jeans, with leg warmers (leg warmers with jeans - yes. Why? I don;t know). And then an Izod shirt or a Polo shirt with the collar "popped."

Smokey123

I'm an 80's teen like you. Lol, I remember skin-tight jeans that I had to fight to get the zipper up. (I had a size 2 body back then!), big hair, and blue eyeshadow all over my eyes. I'm almost ashamed to admit that I miss the big hair -- mine was long and I had a lot of it. (I also miss the size 2 body!!!) :smileyhappy:

annypoo

[ Edited ]

flares

I remember telling my mom "BIGGER FLARE" because the flare wasn't big enough when I was in 5th grade. 

butterfly

I had these butterfly clips where the wings moved.

slap bracelet

These actually hurt when I was slapping them onto my arm. 

lPinkAllurel

The slap bracelets are coming back !

RandeeBT

I remember when flare jeans were the biggest trend ever! I remember my first pair! They were L.E.I. brand and had butterfly embroidery on the bottom! I spent all day at the mall looking for the perfect pair of flare jeans back in 6th grade. Oh, memories! 

Best,
Randee
nightknight

Those butterfly clips! I remember really wanting them because they were so cool!

Sn4rky

Oh my god!! butterfly clips were my life!!  I had so many of those ones and the smaller plastic ones that i would arrange in a crown-like pattern around my head... I mean.. all the cool girls did it.

killahbabe

I had ALL of these things! Also, furry ponytail holders to match the bracelets! *Dies*

HawaiianEyes7

Oh my god those butterfly clips! I had so many! I don't think we're the same age though lol :smileyvery-happy: And I totally had those slap bracelets too! 

jemly

we must be the same age. the bigger the flair the better. the more plastic the better. haha.

Zpsid91

So much flare in the jeans!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 308 replies
  • 444 hearts
  • 69 in conversation
    • killerteeth
    • killahbabe
    • nathaliew
    • hydee77
    • Manda