jemly

REGRETTABLE TRENDS AND BEAUTY HABITS -- OH NO !

ok, story time.

are there any specific trends you took part in--or habits you too part of--only to look back and think 'WHAT WAS I THINKING?!'. it may be embarrassing, it may be humorous, either way--it's one of the more entertaining elements of beauty/makeup that we can only learn to fully understand (and appreciate !) with hindsight. 

in the early 2000s i hated the fact i was pale, so i was often a victim of the earlish days of the self tanner craze. i remember thinking it was MAGIC, only to to notice the next day in fresh daylight that i had bright orange streaks running down my calf. and you'd think that would've taught me my lesson but i'd just pretend like it wasn't there and continued on with it for months. another was the disaster at my attempt at a glossy eyelids (posted about more thoroughly in the 'what was your first sephora purchase' thread). and i'll add more to these 'confessions' as i remember more !

just to note: this is all in good-spirited nostalgic fun, and NOT to demean anyone's tastes or experiences.

annypoo

Re: REGRETTABLE TRENDS AND BEAUTY HABITS -- OH NO !

[ Edited ]

I wore those in 5th grade. I remember specifically it was a red one that I got from one of those 50 cent machines. It was my fav accessory after than hair bands. 

Zpsid91

O jeez - I remember these - I can't believe they are coming back!

MK89

I remember these!! Nobody I know wears them anymore, but the ladies on BT that do probably rock them very well :smileywink:

b34utyb4by

I actually quite like chokers! Although I don't have the classic black one shown in the picture I have this white one thats braided with some metal string amongst 2 cream strands and I love it :smileyvery-happy:

andreabonder

YOU SERIOUSLY HAVE NO IDEA

HOW MUCH THESE THINGS ARE MAKING A COMEBACK. 

I work retail, & there's AT LEAST 5 girls that come in every day asking if we sell them. So if there's anyone that wants to be hip with the trend these days, lol. Get one of these or dig very deep in you closet. 

RandeeBT

(0) Hearts

Yeah, they are totally making a comeback! I have seen them on a few people and at a couple of stores! I never kept mine from back in the day though. If you wore them enough, they would really stretch out and then you would have to toss them. :smileysad:

Best,
Randee
Blackwhiskey

(0) Hearts

I used to have one like this and a rainbow one, it was pretty. I was thinking of placing an order and getting one of these again. 

kellsmuneoka

(0) Hearts

I actually love chokers hehe. These are making a comeback (like most 90's things) so watch out for them haha.

jemly

(0) Hearts

i miss these. while i don't like the plastic aspect i still really love the geometry and illusion. i still love chokers in general (and wear them !)

starsandbucks

I don't consider this regrettable because I'm tempted to re-live this look! When I was in junior high there was a very brief time where colored mascaras came into style. Like, turquoise, electric blue, purple... I want to say they were by Maybelline (there were probably others). I definitely bought them at CVS and they were definitely a "low end" brand that I could afford to buy with my babysitting money. Now I've been seeing these pop up again and equal parts nostalgia and my own (sorta tacky) personal taste is making me want to try this look again! 

jemly

color mascaras are either brilliantly fun & avant garde OR complete fashion-victim disasters and i think the line between the two is solely the confidence and self assuredness of the person wearing them. which actually applies to nearly all makeup / fashion--but colored mascara is the perfect example for sure.

starsandbucks

(0) Hearts

Yes! I feel like if you did it with minimal, neutral colors and matte foundation but with maybe some highlight on the cheekbones, a colored mascara could look really cool! I wouldn't wear it work, but for a nighttime date or something? It could work!

kssweetheart

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Great topic jemly! I feel your pain re: whiteness - did you look like an Oompa-Loompa?

I tried a tanning bed and suffered terrible physical pain for 2 weeks afterward and I went from light pink right back to white in mere Hours! Thank God I wore a tiny bikini when I went in, those bikini covered areas were the only pain free spots on my entire body! My sister didn't heed my warning and wen't topless, although she was a bit heavy and nobody would ever see her tan lines (or lack of) her pain was not nearly as severe, but was in an embarrassing area!

Oh, the damage I must have done before realizing God must have made me this white for a reason. Haven't even bothered trying any self tanners, I was born, and will remain, Caspar the friendly ghost.

jemly

(0) Hearts

it's so funny how these things happen. my extreme ALIEN paleness is one of my favorite features about myself, now. just like my mother told me it would be some day :smileywink:

kssweetheart

[ Edited ]

Two words...

Beanie Babies!

EDIT - I lied - here are a few more words.....

I especially regret the really expensive, special, limited editions, (too embarrassed to tell you how much I spent on the most expensive ones of all :smileyembarrassed: :smileysad: ) I swear it was a case of mass hypnosis! But I will admit, there are still certain ones I love dearly, like my first which was a Weiner Dog and my newest, the adorable & personality filled Orangutan. (which was only $1.99 on Amazon with free 'Prime Shipping'.)

Anyone want to save me the trouble of posting on ebay? :smileyvery-happy:

jemly

(0) Hearts

mine were my pride and joy--but not because of any concept of monetary value. i just completely amorphized any stuffed animal i had and the beanie babies were extra special that way. my favorite was without-a-doubt my very first one i purchased (before any hype existed), which was the panda called peking. i had a particular fondness for the various kittens too. :smileyhappy:

Zpsid91

How about the McDonald's mini Beanie Babies - I would go all over town looking for a certain one :smileyhappy:

kssweetheart

(0) Hearts

I have soooo many of them!! I wanted to get 2 of each - one set to enjoy and the other untouched.....as an "Investment". What a bunch of suckers we were! We didn't eat a lot of McDonalds, but found out we could get the Beanies just by ordering a few apple juices - so my Dad's job became official apple juice drinker! Oh, the things they'll do for their children.

Have any of the big ones? I loved them and have 2 purple Princess Diana's (so pretty btw) and several other biggies. Do you still have yours? Or did you manage to unload them re-home them? 

Zpsid91

I think I have them in a box somewhere - unless my mom gave them away...possible. I/My mother also started collecting Pez dispensers - I started with a few but she has gone crazy over it!!

kssweetheart

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

The majority of mine are lovingly packed away, just my 1st one and a handful of special newer ones around. At least the Pez Dispensers are less expensive, take up less room and are, sometimes, worth $$ down the road. Don't think the "Great Investment" they told us Beanies would be will ever pan out. They say "There's a sucker born every minute".....and I was the one born in that 60 second window!

p.s. - mine are not in a box.....they are individually wrapped in 2 or 3 Ginormous buckets - that's a lot of Beanies!

Zpsid91

(0) Hearts

Ha - that is awesome - my stuff got spread across 2 states and 2 countries - so I don't know where anything is anymore!! The mini ones were my favorite - all of them :smileyhappy: And then when Build-A-Bear opened I started geting some of those too...why I need so many stuffed animals when I'm almost 30 I don't know :smileyvery-happy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 308 replies
  • 444 hearts
  • 69 in conversation
    • killerteeth
    • killahbabe
    • nathaliew
    • hydee77
    • Manda
    • aviscardi