jemly

REGRETTABLE TRENDS AND BEAUTY HABITS -- OH NO !

ok, story time.

are there any specific trends you took part in--or habits you too part of--only to look back and think 'WHAT WAS I THINKING?!'. it may be embarrassing, it may be humorous, either way--it's one of the more entertaining elements of beauty/makeup that we can only learn to fully understand (and appreciate !) with hindsight. 

in the early 2000s i hated the fact i was pale, so i was often a victim of the earlish days of the self tanner craze. i remember thinking it was MAGIC, only to to notice the next day in fresh daylight that i had bright orange streaks running down my calf. and you'd think that would've taught me my lesson but i'd just pretend like it wasn't there and continued on with it for months. another was the disaster at my attempt at a glossy eyelids (posted about more thoroughly in the 'what was your first sephora purchase' thread). and i'll add more to these 'confessions' as i remember more !

just to note: this is all in good-spirited nostalgic fun, and NOT to demean anyone's tastes or experiences.

laynebr

Re: REGRETTABLE TRENDS AND BEAUTY HABITS -- OH NO !

(0) Hearts

Yah I remember people would twist two together lol

RandeeBT

(0) Hearts

Haha, loved your pictures, laynebr! I remember so many of these trends and may have participated in a few in my time :smileyhappy:. In middle school, the trend was to wear baggy overalls and men's boxers underneath so they would peak out. Not such a hot look :x!

Best,
Randee
laynebr

Yes I remember that! Overalls are making a comeback but good thing the boxers aren't lol

RandeeBT

(0) Hearts

I agree! Boxers are meant for men, not ladies :smileytongue:

Best,
Randee
jemly

to be fair about those slippers.....they became a trend in the early 2000s (and i'm speaking specifically about their effect on US culture) because working women in NYC would buy them for less than $5 in chinatown to slip into their purse so they could change out of their high heels for the subway ride / walk home after work. so...it started there and became a clever and purposeful trend. only intended as a shoe switcharoo ! then girls/women visiting nyc would copy the trend--but wear them intentionally all day--and bring the trend back to their home town / city / high school. for a bit there it was like a status symbol because it meant you had the privilege to travel to new york ! but then they became widely available at urban outfitters etc and were everywhere and unavoidable. 

laynebr

(0) Hearts

I didn't know the background of them! All I know is I would actually see girls dressed up at the movie theaters wearing these (Because everyone knew the movie theaters= cool spot for kids to hang out! lol)

redwagon44

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Omg those slippers!! I was just going through my old stuff at my parents house and I had a pair of gold ones I wore to homecoming! And I lived in those jelly bracelets. I think they got banned at my school too, but we never even heard of the colors signifying anything. I think that was one of the fake stories that freaked parents out. Or I was even more sheltered than I remember 

laynebr

(0) Hearts

lmao yes I remember parents coming in and demanding the school some answers because some of their meaning were too provocative!!

JenBlush

(0) Hearts

OMG! what kind of school would ban you from making history! lol I remember those "chinese slippers" I never had them, but I wanted them! People had them in every color! lol and those rubber bracelets. Yea..... wow! your taking it back old school! haha

laynebr

lol I was trying hard to remember some things that kids nowadays don't experience I for sure forgot a few like the Roxy trend where everyone was a surfer and wore seashell necklaces and etc lol

rydia

I think the rubber bracelets got banned because students started using the different colors to signify how far they had gone physically and it was putting pressure on the less experiences students to do things they weren't ready for just to fit in/not be ridiculed.

JenBlush

(0) Hearts

You're completely right! I didn't remember this at all till you brung it up at all. But i think in my school, if someone popped the bracelet that meant they wanted to do something with you depending on the color!

laynebr

(0) Hearts

Yes that's exactly why! Parents even came in to my school

JenBlush

[ Edited ]

This is has to be the worst (during my middle school years) I think they have a different name in California but, in Miami we call them Chongas. upload_267488906978559546.jpg

It consisted of:

crazy glued hair to the head

Sharpie like lipliner (just the lip liner)

SUPERRR thin eyebrows. 

I was too young to do my makeup, but i definitely had the crazy glue hair!

*This is not me though! lol i just found this on google!*

RandeeBT

(0) Hearts

I know way too many people who participated in this look! I always tried to replicate it but never felt confident to wear it out of the house. Oh well, maybe it was for the best! :smileytongue:

Best,
Randee
laynebr

(0) Hearts

I remember these looks! We called them chola/chonga looks! lol

sp2001

(0) Hearts

chola means girl gangster, so that makes sense, but what does chonga mean?

laynebr

(0) Hearts

lol it's a slang term... used widely in miami to describe latinas who look cheap in more then one way... Didn't want to sound mean/rude lol That was my best shot

jemly

at one point i was really into glitter. i don't really regret this though. it was something i was proud of--i had the best glitter that i'd bought from the dancewear store i frequented (it was technically stage makeup). i wish i still had it/remembered what it was...even if i never wore it now. i was complimented frequently, not because i looked great (i really didn't), but because the amount of glitter and it's staying power was just IMPRESSIVE !!

i was really into waterproof mascara that i don't think i'd properly wash off every night. that's regrettable. 

nightknight

These.

upload_4034423613426200856.jpg

laynebr

(0) Hearts

LMAOOOO I totally remember these!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 308 replies
  • 444 hearts
  • 69 in conversation
    • killerteeth
    • killahbabe
    • nathaliew
    • hydee77