jemly

REGRETTABLE TRENDS AND BEAUTY HABITS -- OH NO !

ok, story time.

are there any specific trends you took part in--or habits you too part of--only to look back and think 'WHAT WAS I THINKING?!'. it may be embarrassing, it may be humorous, either way--it's one of the more entertaining elements of beauty/makeup that we can only learn to fully understand (and appreciate !) with hindsight. 

in the early 2000s i hated the fact i was pale, so i was often a victim of the earlish days of the self tanner craze. i remember thinking it was MAGIC, only to to notice the next day in fresh daylight that i had bright orange streaks running down my calf. and you'd think that would've taught me my lesson but i'd just pretend like it wasn't there and continued on with it for months. another was the disaster at my attempt at a glossy eyelids (posted about more thoroughly in the 'what was your first sephora purchase' thread). and i'll add more to these 'confessions' as i remember more !

just to note: this is all in good-spirited nostalgic fun, and NOT to demean anyone's tastes or experiences.

annypoo

Re: REGRETTABLE TRENDS AND BEAUTY HABITS -- OH NO !

MORE FLARE!!!

kssweetheart

:smileyvery-happy: This is Filare-ious!!! :smileyvery-happy:

meagboho

A typical outfit in Middle School:

upload_1504324253056143993.jpgupload_3837241028834615918.jpegupload_3517166026180337699.jpgupload_3356794949752615413.jpg(my boots weren't quite as tall)

Look wouldn't be complete without: upload_1421431668140557077.jpg

RandeeBT

(0) Hearts

I wish I could still get Cinnabon lip balm! That sounds amazing :smileyhappy:. I drink Cinnabon flavored coffee, but I bet the lip balm takes it to a whole other level. :smileywink:

Best,
Randee
chlotam

oh god those earrings. LOL

I definitely had a few pairs...

HawaiianEyes7

Those earrings look like something I would have worn lol :smileyvery-happy:

melissabt

Yes! Those big flares, ugh and then I would wear them with a horrible wind breaker jacket:smileysad:

<3 Melissa
beauty4ashes

Wind Breaker Jacket? That was a type of jacket when I was a kid. I haven't heard that term used since the 70's.

jemly

haha beauty4ashes that term was definitely used and far too prevalent in the 90s too :smileywink:

i was definitely a windbreaker jacket victim myself.

(what a horrible thing to call a jacket.)

jozkid

Speaking of wind breakers.... Members Only jackets! Yes, I really am that old! :smileyvery-happy:

melissabt

I just found one that my sister had! They were SO expensive!

<3 Melissa
jozkid

They really were status symbols back then. Mine was a lovely purple. :smileywink:

redwagon44

I think you're forgetting the stacked bracelets!upload_649833960709104297.jpg

annypoo

I totally remember those types of earrings! Everyone wanted them in middle school! I remember hot topic would sell fun earrings like handcuffs, zippers, dice, etc. 

meagboho

Oh! I also hated my eyebrows and over plucked but decided to try "Thinning" them out by dragging a razor over them and hope it would just pluck out a few hairs.  Shaved off half my brow.  Pretended to be Avril lavine for a week and wore hair over half my face until someone noticed and I told this ridiculous story that I was shaving my face and got soap in my eyes and went to wipe it off with the back of my hand and accidentally dragged the razor over the eyebrow and shaved it off....right....

killerteeth

I love this thread so much hahahaha

Quick backstory: when I was 8th grade, Smashing Pumpkin's Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness came out (yes i'm old), and I absolutely fell in love with the bassist D'arcy's look from the video "Bullet with Butterfly Wings:" dark black smokey eyes and black lipstick.

1. My friend and I would apply this look in our 8th period history class. I only used a L'Oreal black eyeliner, and knew nothing about blending or anything so i'm sure i looked like i had two black circles around my eyes and wonky black lips. I also didn't wear mascara back then on my naturally light eyelashes bc i thought it was for the birds. Maybe the look would be very fashion forward now!!

2. I would only wear this look with the following outfit: Smashing Pumpkins tour shirt, green cammo cargo pants from the army surplus store (or Delia*s, I can't remember haha) and my 20 eye Doc Martens (which were about a 1/2 size too big bc i thought my feet would get bigger. They didn't. I still have those boots 17 years later!)

2. My mom didn't approve of this look (partially hence applying it in class like some idiot.. i mean bad **bleep**) and one day she confiscated my eyeliner!! My dad didn't know about it so he took me to walmart probably that same week and i bought more.

Other bad fashion included: 

+Wearing almost exclusively clothes from the guy's department in Pacific Sunwear

+Little boy's shirts that were too short for my torso (and i didn't have the body to pull it off either)

+Giant Old man wool pants

RandeeBT

I love that you're a Smashing Pumpkins fan, killerteeth! They are one of my all time favorite bands :heart:. I got to see them in concert a few years ago and it was pretty amazing! 

Best,
Randee
hydee77

Oh man.  I am 30 now and in the 8th grade my "go to look" was my Smashing Pumpkins tour shirt I bought at Spencer's along with these terrible orange and white patterned polyester grandpa pants.  I'm pretty sure I wore them with these bright yellow sneakers too.  I had black hair and only did the bottom lashes in black liner.  Oh the horror lol

Zpsid91

(0) Hearts

I remember wool grandpa pants - and small boy shirts - that's what I lived in!

AlwaysGlamorous

God knows I wanted to be able to pull off the "I can wear my little brother's t-shirt" look too. Just not meant for an hourglass shape! 

irenet

upload_1824062675069294280.jpgDoes anyone remember the Pacifier Necklace?? All I can say is why did we do this???

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 308 replies
  • 444 hearts
  • 69 in conversation
    • killerteeth
    • killahbabe
    • nathaliew
    • hydee77
    • Manda
    • aviscardi