jemly

REGRETTABLE TRENDS AND BEAUTY HABITS -- OH NO !

ok, story time.

are there any specific trends you took part in--or habits you too part of--only to look back and think 'WHAT WAS I THINKING?!'. it may be embarrassing, it may be humorous, either way--it's one of the more entertaining elements of beauty/makeup that we can only learn to fully understand (and appreciate !) with hindsight. 

in the early 2000s i hated the fact i was pale, so i was often a victim of the earlish days of the self tanner craze. i remember thinking it was MAGIC, only to to notice the next day in fresh daylight that i had bright orange streaks running down my calf. and you'd think that would've taught me my lesson but i'd just pretend like it wasn't there and continued on with it for months. another was the disaster at my attempt at a glossy eyelids (posted about more thoroughly in the 'what was your first sephora purchase' thread). and i'll add more to these 'confessions' as i remember more !

just to note: this is all in good-spirited nostalgic fun, and NOT to demean anyone's tastes or experiences.

shal

Re: REGRETTABLE TRENDS AND BEAUTY HABITS -- OH NO !

I have to comment on this topic! In middle/high school my friends and I were those girls - the ones with huge, poofed up bangs, crunchy hair, thin black eyebrows and eyeliner and - wait for it - brown lip liner filled in with concealer sticks.

Wet n Wild #666? Anyone? I went through so many of those suckers, I think WnW is still in business because of me!

Also wore overalls with one side unhooked, those weird bubble shirts, platform Sketcherz and shaved the underside of my ponytail. Oh, the embarrassment.

redwagon44

OMG the bubble shirts!!!! I had SOO MANY of these!

upload_2663483836636794753.jpg

meagboho

I had that exact one!!!!! Limited Too!!!

redwagon44

(0) Hearts

Same!! I thought the three quarter lengthed sleeves on that one were super cute. 

irenet

Geez, I thought these shirts were so great. So glad they died out.

Zpsid91

Ahhhh those shirts - I remember I wanted so many of them!!! I had the multi colored/patterned ones too - o the memories!!!

Shrewdle

I had two of these shirts!! Would have buried them forever in my memory had I not seen this post and photo, lol!!! Worst of all I think mine were tie dye on top of this bubble shirt style...*facepalm*

surfgirlmiami

(0) Hearts

Not saying I ever liked the look of those shirts, but they definitely need to come up with a way to make cute shirts that small. I over-pack like a maniac and that would save me a ton of room.

SirensSong

LOL Platform Sketchers!! I used to wear my white ones and feel like a super cool Spice Girl :smileytongue:Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 4.39.57 AM.png

heartsmyface

(0) Hearts

Those were so fun!!!  High heels without the heels!  

melissabt

Yes! Oh my goodness, I totally had those white ones that Babyspice is wearing too:/

<3 Melissa
redwagon44

The platform is so coming back now! I remember I had giant velcro strapped sandals like these babies. You didn't know pain until you rolled our ankle wearing one of these. 

upload_1068112313859131103.jpg

kbmatthews

Bahaha! Oh, platforms. I think most are hideous nowadays, no matter if they're sandals, sneakers, etc. Just too chunky!

irenet

Me too. I like the platform sneakers....maybe it's because I like lying about my height. LOL.

Shrewdle

Hehe, I still like my platform sneakers!!

starsandbucks

Hey I KNOW I wasn't the ONLY BTer running around with farrrrr too thin brows in the late-90s,/early '00s!!!

I was so proud of my movie star eye brows!

HarlemJPN

the "smokey eye"! Now, don't get me wrong, ladies: i still love a smoky eye. But when I first "discovered" it, I wore it. All. The. Time. 8 in the morning? Smoky eye. Lunch in a bright restaurant in mid-afternoon? Smoky eye. too much of a good thing ended up being a bad thing.

my future prediction: in 10 years, we will look back and see the ombré hair trend and wonder what we were all thinking. Till then, celebrate it!

BuxomBabe80

(0) Hearts

I thought the ombre hair trend was already out of style? Shows how much I know! :smileywink:

AlwaysGlamorous

CRACK. ME. UP!! Smoky eyes..smoky eyes everywhere! 

starsandbucks

I mentioned this briefly in another thread but...concealer lips. Ugh I hate that look so much and this was just a few years ago. OK, about five years ago but still uncomfortably recent. 

And brown lipstick in the '90s. I know this look is coming back and there's no shame in this game but I seriously hate this color lip. My college roommate and I would buy so much brown lipstick and liner from ULTIMA and ULTIMA II (I loved that brand and wish it was still around. It had great packaging.) 

jemly

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

i TOTALLY did concealer lips. in high school, i was convinced anything with red tones would bring out the red in my face--which in those days meant angy zits. so i'd rub my MAC potted concealer onto my lips as if it were lip balm. sometimes i'd apply a lipgloss on top of it. often times frosted.

but i'm totally feeling the brown lip resurgence. no shame.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 308 replies
  • 444 hearts
  • 69 in conversation
    • killerteeth
    • killahbabe
    • nathaliew
    • hydee77
    • Manda
    • aviscardi