REGRETTABLE TRENDS AND BEAUTY HABITS -- OH NO !

ok, story time.

are there any specific trends you took part in--or habits you too part of--only to look back and think 'WHAT WAS I THINKING?!'. it may be embarrassing, it may be humorous, either way--it's one of the more entertaining elements of beauty/makeup that we can only learn to fully understand (and appreciate !) with hindsight. 

in the early 2000s i hated the fact i was pale, so i was often a victim of the earlish days of the self tanner craze. i remember thinking it was MAGIC, only to to notice the next day in fresh daylight that i had bright orange streaks running down my calf. and you'd think that would've taught me my lesson but i'd just pretend like it wasn't there and continued on with it for months. another was the disaster at my attempt at a glossy eyelids (posted about more thoroughly in the 'what was your first sephora purchase' thread). and i'll add more to these 'confessions' as i remember more !

just to note: this is all in good-spirited nostalgic fun, and NOT to demean anyone's tastes or experiences.

Re: REGRETTABLE TRENDS AND BEAUTY HABITS -- OH NO !

(0) Hearts

I want to get a brown lipstick haha should I rethink that?

(0) Hearts

I'd love to see you with a nice, brown lip - think you'd be gorgeous in any shade.

(0) Hearts

no. do it. i love that it's making a bit of a comeback, it looks fresh again !

(0) Hearts

I loved my brown lipsticks.  I had two different mini samplers of various browns from Prescriptives.  I can still remember the look some girl gave me ("you're such a weirdo") as I applied a lovely shade of brown while in the girl's locker room getting ready for phys ed.. sigh.

(0) Hearts

I mentioned the same in another thread too. It was so bad I'd put foundation or actual concealer over my lips throughout the day because I hated how pigmented they were. I hate that I have pictures to prove it!

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I used to powder my face up like marilyn manson, and only my face. Yep. >_> Now if I want to be alabaster, I do everything! lol 

Oh and before that, I used to go to a private school and my friend was into makeup and I was a tomboy, I saw her use one of those green sticks that reduce redness? I still .. anyway, I bought one of those and ended up applying it all over my face until one day she told me "don't do that, your face looks minty green!" xD 

oh !!! in high school i tried one of those green concealer sticks--cover girl made it and it looked like lipstick, shape wise. it was supposed to hide redness but instead it just made my zits greenish !

(0) Hearts

hahahahhahaa i just thought it made me look white, boy was i wrong, i dont know what i was thinking. I think it was cover girl, i know maybelline has a green now, but i have a feeling there was a white tube with that green at wal mart. 

[ Edited ]

Let's just say I found makeup on my own...with no one to help me and guide me on the right path. I must've done my makeup in the dark because all I can say is..."EW".  My first ever makeup purchase was Viva Glam Gaga 1 & 2 from MAC (when I was 11) and one was a BRIGHT BUBBLEGUM pink lipstick. I wore it proudly and when I see pictures now I'm just like, " oh god please burn those pictures." . I was basically only wearing  lipstick back then and my lips overpowered my whole face. Moving on to 8th grade I went through the raccoon eyes phase when I tried to do wings, but they ended up looking to thick triangles. I'm just thankful I didn't go with the spidery lashes trend that most teenagers seem to love now. 

tumblr_m98m8zOsaY1rzy8sso1_400.gif

around my second year of high school, I was starting my first love phase with sephora. I was finally learning to like how I looked and would wear super bright eyeshadows, glitter, blue mascara, etc.  But ohhh man, the blue eyeshadow. I would put it solidly across my eyelid, but then bring it into the corner of my eye as well, like you would a highlighting powder. Sometimes I'd get even crazier and do the inner corner with a contrasting color like orange. Until one day this girl was drawing a nasty portrait of me on the white board that was just a caricature of how did my makeup... Lol, pretty sure that was the last time I wore bright colors. Boo for her making me feel crappy, but it was at least a bad look!

oh god no that's horrible of that girl. be proud of your younger self's open mind and creativity--even if the results were a disaster !! i was experimental like that my freshman year particularly, and was a bit of a laughing stock, too; but i know now that that spoke more of those people than it did of me. i remember once i was in the girls bathroom 'retouching' and putting mascara on and a girl looks at me and goes "um, i think you have on enough mascara now" and then starting laughing. sigh.

(0) Hearts

I used to match my eyeshadow to my dress (i.e. I wore dark blue eyeshadow once, before I knew how to use it.) I also didn't use primer.  I didn't even know what eye primer was, and I had a couple days where I scrubbed off my eyeshadow because it had creased.  Also not knowing how to shade match foundation to my skin, and I only recently learned how to fill in my brows properly.  

oh geeze. primer didn't even exist (in any common consumer form, at least...that i know of) when i was in school. tinted moisturizer was a fairly new trend product i think but i never partook because i needed more coverage--my skin was not at it's best. 

(0) Hearts

I remember back in high school I was very into silverish pink lipsticks, and I used to wear this super frosty light silver pink lipstick that just did not work for my complexion. But I kept telling myself that it did, lol. Now looking back at the pictures I think about how ridiculous I looked! 

And I'm sure this is a common thing for a lot of people, but back in the day I also used to pluck my eyebrows really really thin. My mom told me that eyebrows should be thin and arched, and I went on a rampage plucking out almost every hair in my naturally thick-ish brows. It was a bad look indeed... Thankfully most of it grew back but I still have a few spots in my brows that are quite sparse due to all that vicious over plucking that I did!

Back when I was in Gr 12, I had got my ears pierced - alot of people told me off - guys don't get their ears pierced, some of the girls said it looked ok. My wife doesn't like me wearing earrings.

oh you're really reminding me !! i TOTALLY was into silvery pink frosted lips. i totally thought it was the most flattering shade. not many photos of me survive of me in that era, but from what i've seen and remember, this shade actually made my lips look smaller than they actually are (and the ARE small), and i'm sure it did no favors for my teeth or complexion. 

I am right there with you! I, too, bought that stupid metallic frosty baby pink lip shade and it made me look HIDEOUS...and it made me look like I had a chronic-smoker's teeth color :'( I wonder if this color even flatters ANYONE at all LOL

Middle school and my first 2 years of high school were the worst. I was going through that weird and awkward stage where I didn't know what to do with my hair. I grew it long and parted it to the side. Looking back, I hate it so much. I also had braces which made me look ridiculous. 

(0) Hearts

LOL Andy! Boys with Braces are cute, IMO  ^_^

(0) Hearts

oh yes hair was an entirely different issue / absolute disaster for me. i have (believe it or not, guys) very curly hair. as a teenager it was very long and i had NO IDEA how to deal with it. the frizz, the chaos. i almost always wore it up in a tight bun/messy knot praying i'd wake up one day with different hair. by the time i was a sr. i knew how to style it / what products to use, but i've had short hair for a very long time now. i'm growing it out again (i think) but it'll take a few years before i can see any curl at it's full potential (and hopefully with less disastrous results) 

I went to an all girls school with some sailor looking uniform, so after school I used to be a tomboy in junior high into high school and change into JNCO brand jeans. The jeans that a lot of the skaters wore with the huge pockets. I bought little boys t-shirts because they were cheaper and I would carry around a skateboard, even though I barely even learned. Adding to that, I wore candy necklaces and those silver ball necklaces around my neck. What a poser and how embarrassing lol

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments