jemly

REGRETTABLE TRENDS AND BEAUTY HABITS -- OH NO !

ok, story time.

are there any specific trends you took part in--or habits you too part of--only to look back and think 'WHAT WAS I THINKING?!'. it may be embarrassing, it may be humorous, either way--it's one of the more entertaining elements of beauty/makeup that we can only learn to fully understand (and appreciate !) with hindsight. 

in the early 2000s i hated the fact i was pale, so i was often a victim of the earlish days of the self tanner craze. i remember thinking it was MAGIC, only to to notice the next day in fresh daylight that i had bright orange streaks running down my calf. and you'd think that would've taught me my lesson but i'd just pretend like it wasn't there and continued on with it for months. another was the disaster at my attempt at a glossy eyelids (posted about more thoroughly in the 'what was your first sephora purchase' thread). and i'll add more to these 'confessions' as i remember more !

just to note: this is all in good-spirited nostalgic fun, and NOT to demean anyone's tastes or experiences.

NikkiShops

Re: REGRETTABLE TRENDS AND BEAUTY HABITS -- OH NO !

oldschool.jpg

1. Jeans with stripes down the sides.  Can't explain this one.  The pair I had were baggy and flared, just to add extra insult.  :smileyhappy:

oldschool2.jpg

2. Everything about this picture.  I ordered from the Delia*s catalog all the time and purchased many of huge baggy pants with silly little tees.

oldschool3.jpg

3. Everybody had these backpacks.  Mine was purple.  Not terribly regrettable but not loving it either.

oldschool4.jpg

4. Purses from Claire's.  I had a see through one like this!  I also had a neon green one with glitter all over it.  It was like a metal box?  Very weird.  I can picture wearing it like it was yesterday!  Lol.  I loved Claire's back in the day!!

melissabt

Ahh those clear purses, my goodness, they bring back so many memories!

<3 Melissa
mommyto4

I still have my clear Adidas backpack.  And I LOVE IT!  In the late 90's I had it because I wanted to look cool.  Now I use it because of security checks.  When I carry that bag they never open it.  Usually they just comment about me being prepared and wave me through.  I can't put my wallet on top where it's visible, but I'll pay the price of having to hide it if it means other people don't need to rummage through my stuff.

As for the pants, if there would have been pintrest then I would have been queen.  I would buy my Kikwear and rip the seams out on the sides of the pants.  Then I would sew in a piece of colorful or funky material, to make them even wider.  Usually leopard print, rainbow, or little kid character related.  Then a halter top, little kid barrettes, and glitter all over my eyes.  LOL love it!

RandeeBT

(0) Hearts

I definitely remember those clear purses. I remember being worried about what to carry in my purse so people wouldn't look at anything too personal :smileywink:. I definitely remember those jeans with the stripes too! Mine were flare-legged. 

Best,
Randee
killerteeth

OMG DELIAS.

lylysa

There was this ONE shirt I still kick myself for not getting, it was the little dancing mushroom baby from Disney's Fantasia and it was all over a t-shirt...ahhh so cute!!! I can't find it anymore for the life of me!

RandeeBT

I used to love getting the Delia's catalog! I would mark a million things I wanted but I never ordered anything! Hehe. :smileyvery-happy:

Best,
Randee
Zpsid91

Delia's - all day every day! I was obsessed with their clothes...sigh...

NikkiShops

My mom let me order a lot of stuff from them!  I used to get so excited when my packages would arrive.  I really think it contributed to my current love of online shopping.  I still get very excited when my packages show up!  :smileyhappy:

RandeeBT

[ Edited ]

Does anyone remember these? I know they still make these hair elastics but they used to be the biggest trend back in the day. I always had too much hair and I could never truly make them work for me, but I always thought they were so cute because you match your elastic with your outfit! 

ball elastics.jpg

Best,
Randee
ilovetopurplefy

(0) Hearts

My sister and I used them when we were kids!!!! We call them "Hair Bubbles."  I accidentally made a hole in the wall with one at home when I was 8. I slipped and smacked my head against the wall and the force made one go through it and it got stuck. Plus my hair got all tangled up in it. So my mom had to cut my hair and the hair bubble to free me. I was sporting an assymetrical twists for 6 months. I HATED them.

Zpsid91

I still see those for sale where I am!

RandeeBT

(0) Hearts

Hehe, me too! I feel like everyone wore them back in the day!

Best,
Randee
gmoss90

Did any of you 80s kids keep your twister beads and charms that you could hook onto them?  I had collected a ton of them and threw them away.

Sn4rky

[ Edited ]

OMG bandanas, yes!!  I remember in middle school, EVERYONE wore them.  My school ended up banning them so we all wore headbands with the little flap of fabric that hung off it.. the pseudo-bandana.  So rebellious, I know!   This was the closest thing I could find online.  I remember the actual fabric part being a smaller triangle.  il_570xn-326448412.jpg

NikkiShops

(0) Hearts

Yep, definitely had several of these!  I actually saved them for years and years for whatever reason.  I don't know if I thought they would come back in style?  Lol.

TheSocialQuota

(0) Hearts

I had a whole drawer full of bandannas at one time in blue green and grey. It beat having to apply eight hair clips, but I'm using ribbon ties these days.

gingerblack

upload_2476186296329126293.jpgupload_8546349198110650685.jpgupload_4703235454777244626.jpg Some of my faves. Anything else Spice Girl related can be added to the list

NikkiShops

Omg, the Tamagotchi!  I HAD to have one and I remember making my dad take me on a wild goose chase to try to get one.  They were sold out everywhere so I had to settle for a Giga Pet.  :smileyvery-happy:

RandeeBT

Yes, yes, and yes! I was so obsessed with the Tamagotchi! When it first came out, it was sold out everywhere and I was obsessed with getting one! 

Best,
Randee
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 308 replies
  • 444 hearts
  • 69 in conversation
    • killerteeth
    • killahbabe
    • nathaliew
    • hydee77