Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY

this thread has worked hard and deserves a proper rest. please now post in RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY PART DEUX 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/RANDOM-THOUGHTS-BEAUTY-PART-DEUX/td-p/2461692

Ok so I've been wanting to make this thread for a while. I've also been wanting to start a "random thoughts" thread...but I figured I'd separate the categories so that at least the "beauty" one is on the front page, rather than hidden in off topic. So, have a beauty-related thought but don't think it's worth starting a thread about ? Post it here !

today I got a facial at an extraordinarily nice spa. A real treat. And the results were immediate and truly great. But guys: she pulled out a clarisonic and a foamy cleanser for that first initial cleanse, and I nearly had a heart attack. Great for a lot of people but most of you know how I feel about those things !!!!!! Overall, as I said, it was great and my skin is happy. But sheesh.

SWATCH REQUEST THREAD HERE: http://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

(have fun wasting even more time in the...) VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD !!  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/td-p/1826210

RANDOM BEAUTY FACTS ABOUT YOU THREAD !

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/Random-Beauty-Facts-About-You/td-p/2409264

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY

I just bought this one myself a couple weeks ago! Excellent choice, and I can't wait to see it on you!

Well, I'm glad two good things came from this:

1. You got yourself a kick-butt lipstick.

2. Now I can bug you for swatches because I've been curious about that color for months. 😉

I'm sorry about your break up Jemly:( 

I hope this gorgeous lipstick makes you feel better!

That's a beautiful one - great choice :).

thanks darrrrlin ! i figure the more i look like i'm walking around with men's blood on my lips, then i can take over the world and then i'll be just finnnne

alright friends, some real talk. when you're going through a breakup, what do you do to make yourself feel better ? i have a lot of practice with breakups (ahem), but i'm wretched at them. i'm trying not to buy a breakup lipstick this time (or buy anything as consolation, really) 😉

i wish i could change my hair....but i'm growing it out.

i'm going to give attention to the blog thing. but right now it's the last thing i want to do. sigh. 

i'm fine, emotions just suck 😉

Break ups are hard. They upset our world in ways that are rarely ready for. Be kind to yourself in thought and act. Enjoy a nice bath (hello, Lush bath bomb), treat yourself to some flowers because you are special and deserve them, and take time to be. Make it a point to get outside and observe the beauty and regrowth that spring brings (bonus points for taking Andy for an extra-long walk). Bring kindness into the world through word and act, even just simple stuff as you go about your day (compliment a stranger on her lipstick, hold doors, return a grocery cart for someone who could use a hand, etc). 

Wishing you comfort and clarity at this time of transition. 

I confess that I've had a tendency to express breakup feelings through destruction of (his) property which was (mistakenly) left at my house. Nothing like a small bbq fire to sooth. This may or may not be practical or sensible, but it's about doing what makes you feel better.

Just don't go committing arson. That's a bad idea. 😛

Hahaha - this is funny to me 🙂

I agree - no arson!

If they leave their stuff laying around my house and think for one half of a second that I'm running some sort of storage unit rental business here, I cannot (will not) be responsible for what ends up on the BBQ in flames.  It's not like I've got a bonfire going on the patio - the goal is *not* to set my house on fire! 😛

Anything that is truly important to them needs to leave with them. Or they can make arrangements with me according to *my* terms and schedule.

Dinner and a bottle of wine. Total girls night out (or in, whichever is your preference). Watch fun absurd movies (for me, I tend to default to disney or campy horror because it entertains me). If you like the "make a change" approach, I have a friend come over and help me go through my closet and help me put together outfits in ways I typically wouldn't. Added bonus, it doesn't require going out and buying anything new! 

I'm also a fan of signing up for something new. Cooking class, dance, photography. Something that makes me go out and put myself out there a little bit. Online classes for academics are also a favorite, but that might just be me.

Sorry about your breakup. xx. 

Definitely allow yourself time to be upset and sad, but also know when you need to wrap it up and move on. Treat yourself to your favorite dinner out, try to go with a good friend. Get outside in the fresh air and stay active to stave off depression. I don't think that one or two small consolation purchases are unjustified. If it helps, it helps. 🙂

Camping out in blanket forts indoors for a few days is always fun too.

I never been in a relationship, but when I was led on by a guy (who lived in Australia, which led to 4 visits in 4 years) and found out about his relationship status (which turned out to be a fake Facebook account his friend or girlfriend made). I tried to tell myself I was pretty. I probably didn't believe it since I just starved myself for a few days. I probably went through a Brazilian to hope that my waxer would give me a different kind of pai. FYI: Brazilians stopped hurting ages ago for me. 

The only way I was able to pull myself together was going back into USA Swimming competition and being a much faster swimmer. But that's because I realized how much he held me back. Then I went back to training on a USA Swimming club and then going through 16 hours of practices A WEEK. Tinder kinda helped, but I think the confidence of being a true swimmer again (instead of a Masters one) and focusing on my champs was what got me out of it. Plus, his girlfriend wasn't a swimmer (which did get me mad. His ex was one and the three of us were teammates) 

Once you find the bad parts and get out and realize the good things and what you can do without said guy, Sometimes you gotta kick it out. Literally in my case. (my friend and his friend gave me some self-defense lessons and let me use them as punching bags since they were black belts) 

I felt like I had to change myself and I kinda did. I do dress a bit girlier at times.

In the end, the guy was a jerk... my parents, friends, teammates kept telling me that, but I was blind. Have I met better guys? Yeah, but still no relationship, but mainly because you gotta focus on you first. The love comes later... but that's because I want to do well in this new job. 

Break ups stink. But it does allow for time to focus on personal goals and introspection. I agree with spa time or mani pedi even if it's just at home. I used to do movie binges of comedy or action flicks. Having a girls night in might be nice.

I went through a ton of failed relationships and dating before I got married. I think it allowed for seeing everything I didn't want in a long term relationship and things that would be necessary for a long term relationship to work with me. I used to take break ups really hard, but looking back I could see that either I'm really grateful I didn't end up with that person or even though we had great chemistry it just wouldn't have worked out in the long run. I wish I could go back and tell myself to calm down and don't cry because I could do better lol. But I'm sure my melodramatic past self would have told me to shut the **** up.

Hope you feel better soon

I'm late in the game, but I watched a lot of Scrubs. That seems dumb, but it was funny and lighthearted enough to keep my mind off of things. And when it was poignant, it was usually about non-relationship things.

I went through a lot of breakups with the same guy (stupid me), and the best things I could do was to think about anything that wasn't romantic. And telling myself over and over again that the best revenge is living well (i'm much less bitter now, I swear). The time that these worked the best was when I got to travel for a summer. Is a quick getaway an option? A spa day? A mani/pedi?

OH MY GOD....i was binge watching scrubs all week as i could feel this outcome brewing and i needed some old school distraction. SOUL SISTERS ! eagggggleeee

EAGLE

i'm headed to paris in about 2 months. not exactly a speedy getaway, but something really nice to look forward to......

@jemly YAASSSS!! That's awesome :). I don't know what it is about this show, but it has always managed to cheer me up and keep my mind off of things during rough times. Thank you for validating my feelings regarding this show and my breakup "cure" 😄

Paris is the perfect place. Not a speedy getaway but you surely have LOTS of planning and preparation you can do in the meantime :D. How long will you be gone? Do you have a plan/itinerary? The particular summer I'm thinking of - that was my saving grace, I had lots of shopping and planning to do before leaving :x. I also find being abroad, I can disconnect much more easily (alot more by necessity). How exciting for you!

Now that I'm older I wish I'd broken up with the wrong ones sooner.  It hurts now, but someday you'll realize that it was the best thing.

And I have a number of friends who met "the one" right after a breakup.

You aren't ready...when you are...the right things will happen.  Find your art.  It still isn't fully established and until it is you likely will keep searching...but the answer is the art.  Only then will the other stuff settle into place.

Or at least that's what I think.

And buy a lipstick or two (sorry!!!).

i can't respond to you all at the moment but the love i feel for all of you is true and deep. thank you guys so much, most sincerely. today has been utter crap, but i feel absolutely blessed to be able to reach out to you all. thank you.

We've got your back. ❤️

Let the emotions OUT. If for some reason it's too uncomfortable to talk to someone or to actually just sit and feel hurt and cry about it (which was the case for me during my most brutal breakup and a few other Really Crappy Life Events), watch puppy videos, sad movies, etc., and let loose a disproportionate amount of tears.

Beat up a pillow if you're angry. Or get some cheap plates, put them in some kind of heavy-duty plastic bag, and smash them up.

Take long walks somewhere with beautiful or otherwise interesting things to look at. Run, if you feel like it.

Snuggle with as many dogs as possible.

Have a few/a lot of shots or glasses of wine and do something that makes you laugh a lot. Stupid movies (I recommend Jupiter Ascending, one of the hottest hot messes I've ever seen), stand-up comedy, ridiculous games — the dumber the better.

Start a project, any project. Something you've never tried before, or something you just haven't had time for in awhile.

Deep clean and declutter your living space. Sometimes it feels really good just to get rid of some stuff.

Take a long drive while listening to awesome music.

These are some of my most reliable go-tos. I'm so so sorry to hear about this. 😞

testing