Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY

this thread has worked hard and deserves a proper rest. please now post in RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY PART DEUX 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/RANDOM-THOUGHTS-BEAUTY-PART-DEUX/td-p/2461692

Ok so I've been wanting to make this thread for a while. I've also been wanting to start a "random thoughts" thread...but I figured I'd separate the categories so that at least the "beauty" one is on the front page, rather than hidden in off topic. So, have a beauty-related thought but don't think it's worth starting a thread about ? Post it here !

today I got a facial at an extraordinarily nice spa. A real treat. And the results were immediate and truly great. But guys: she pulled out a clarisonic and a foamy cleanser for that first initial cleanse, and I nearly had a heart attack. Great for a lot of people but most of you know how I feel about those things !!!!!! Overall, as I said, it was great and my skin is happy. But sheesh.

SWATCH REQUEST THREAD HERE: http://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

(have fun wasting even more time in the...) VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD !!  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/td-p/1826210

RANDOM BEAUTY FACTS ABOUT YOU THREAD !

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/Random-Beauty-Facts-About-You/td-p/2409264

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY

How to find a good shop: Check Yelp for highly-rated shops, and then find out if the shop and/or any of its artists have Instagram accounts or online portfolios you can browse. You'll want to try to find an artist who is very strong at the specific thing you want (e.g. lettering, watercolor-style with no black lines, etc.).

Once you've narrowed down your options you can go get consultations. (Depending on the size and complexity of what you're looking for, you might be able to get inked right then or you may have to make an appointment to come back later.) Bring pictures with you that illustrate what you want and be prepared to describe exactly what you do or don't like about your examples. The artist(s) will create a draft for you that you can have them tweak until it's just what you're looking for. They'll also make a stencil so you can "try on" the tattoo to make sure you like the size and placement. Don't ever settle for "close enough" -- have them keep working on it until it's exactly what you're looking for. This may take awhile -- my tattoos are all small and simple and probably took about an hour each to draft -- but the wait is worth it. This is going on your body permanently and you should be in love before the needle touches your skin!

For the record, I haven't really followed my own advice past finding shops with good Yelp ratings. I have ended up with two tattoos I love and one I slightly regret. Do as I say, not as I do.

Yeah I want a real specific tattoo so I'm worried if the tattoo ends up not being what I wanted that I'll regret it later on. I also worry about clean shops, and I know my Mom will worry if I don't find a good shop.                                                   I don't feel like the tattoo I want is necessarily super complicated, just real specific. I want a plain sort of Buttercup flower, black with just like an outline, no other colors. Its like I know what I want but I'm not sure how to explain it to the tattoo artist exactly if that makes sense. Its a character from a show I really love tattoo, so I could show you a picture of what tattoo I want if that would help.                                                  

I commissioned a separate illustrator whose work I really enjoy to design tattoos for me that I had wanted to get. We worked very closely together via email where I explained what I wanted and provided some reference photos for what I had in mind for each element and then she produced sketches and presented them to me for feedback. And back and forth until they were exactly what I had envisioned.

I have both drawings I commissioned although I ended up opting for a much simpler and smaller piece for my first tattoo. I may still have one of these put on me later, and it is very easy for most tattoo artists if they already have an image that they can just transfer onto your skin and trace. Then it's just a matter of finding a quality shop that uses hygienic practices with a talented enough artist to reproduce the image on you.

You can also do the same planning process with many tattoo artists, but they tend to charge a lot for all time involved in consulting, sketching and inking.

I actually got my first tattoo for nearly free by using a Groupon deal I found for a local shop that I had researched and knew several people that could recommend it.

Bringing your artist reference material is always a good idea!

That's for your help, I appreciate it.

Well it's back to work tomorrow after a nice long holiday break.  I have not been sleeping very well, so I hope I don't wake up with big black circles under my eyes.  Sleep is the best beauty treatment and I have so much trouble sleeping 😞 

I need to finally start following the number one skincare tip and include sunscreen in my routine. Any recommendations, especially for something I won't really feel after it's on? I can't stand greasy-feeling sunscreens on my face.

I use a moisturizer with SPF 25 (Origins).  Doesn't feel like sunscreen.

I like MD SolarSciences...they have a few that are moisturizer with SPF - I don't end up looking greasy, and they are lightweight to wear.

I use CeraVe AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion and I love it. I think it's SPF 30 and it doesn't feel greasy or heavy at all. 

I finally tried the murad blur primer today and I really like the fact that it wasn't remotely greasy and I forgot I had put it on. Fwiw, I despise the Josie Maran moisturizer with spf because it remains greasy and broke me out

I love him but sometimes I can't stand how long my boyfriend takes in the bathroom. He showers, cuts his hair, styles it, etc. He takes forever to get ready -_-

That's what my husband do all the time.

Oh yes, my husband is like this also.  I can even take a nap first and then get ready before he's done.

Haha! I sleep in while my partner is shaving/showering. Then I crawl out of bed, brush my teeth, throw on the clothes I wore the day before (I do this for several days in a row; I'm too tired in the morning to exert the brain power to create a new outfit each day) and glance in the mirror to make sure nothing is a disaster. Then I'm set to go! 😄

Haha I'm not quite that fast!  

Mine too. He's in there for much longer than I am and needs a lot of mirror time. Most of the days when I want to wear makeup there is no time for it because he uses the mirror all morning and then wants me to be ready to leave when he is. Haha

I often tell my husband he's :"the girl" in the relationship.  since i can be shower to door in 25 minutes (if only with basic makeup), and he usually need 45 minutes.  It drives me nuts!!!

Gwenhwyfar and buggirl I'm glad I'm not the only one haha! 

buggirl, my boyfriend has self proclaimed him the "girl" as he also enjoys shopping much more than I do lol. 

I've been doing some thinking about New Year's resolutions. One of my biggest problems is being out in public in real life as Regina so I've decided that to help empower myself that my resolution is to perform in drag this year.  It's always something I've wanted to do and I think it will help me be more comfortable in my own skin.

If you don't mind my asking, what part of the country are you in? (You can PM me a response if you'd rather) I may know someone in your area as well--that is to say, I have friends across the country who are all plugged into their local scenes.

3 Replies
testing