Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY

this thread has worked hard and deserves a proper rest. please now post in RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY PART DEUX 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/RANDOM-THOUGHTS-BEAUTY-PART-DEUX/td-p/2461692

Ok so I've been wanting to make this thread for a while. I've also been wanting to start a "random thoughts" thread...but I figured I'd separate the categories so that at least the "beauty" one is on the front page, rather than hidden in off topic. So, have a beauty-related thought but don't think it's worth starting a thread about ? Post it here !

today I got a facial at an extraordinarily nice spa. A real treat. And the results were immediate and truly great. But guys: she pulled out a clarisonic and a foamy cleanser for that first initial cleanse, and I nearly had a heart attack. Great for a lot of people but most of you know how I feel about those things !!!!!! Overall, as I said, it was great and my skin is happy. But sheesh.

SWATCH REQUEST THREAD HERE: http://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

(have fun wasting even more time in the...) VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD !!  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/td-p/1826210

RANDOM BEAUTY FACTS ABOUT YOU THREAD !

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/Random-Beauty-Facts-About-You/td-p/2409264

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY

I do this a lot - sadly, it usually works 😛

Embarrassing story, but years ago when I purchased my first fancier peacoat I didnt realize this was a thing. It took like 2 years at least to realize the coat had pockets. I thought they were imitation pockets not sewn shut for the owner pockets. 😐

I remember arguing with my friend that I hate how the coat didn't have pockets and he took a key and ripped it open lol

That's awesome.  I learned a lot of information about sewing and design through working at a fabric store for many years so I never had a funny reveal.  

They stitch them closed in the manufacturing process so they hang better for sales and so everyone's grubby little hands stay out of them when they're trying them on.  

Do do you have a stitch ripper?   You can also use a packing knife blade or your eyebrow scissors.  

Yes.  It was pretty common for clothing makers to stitch the pockets closed before an item is sold. 

I don't recall the reasoning why, but it's not unheard of and still seems fairly common with European clothing.

I usually just undo them with a stitch ripper.

Oh whew, thanks! I've never encountered this before and was so confused. Now to get the stitches out without ruining the pants...

I just googled it for fun, and this is what GQ says:

Whenever pockets are sewn shut, it's so people trying on the garment don't shove their hands into them. Pockets are for owners only. Cut the threads very carefully.

So, thank you for asking this, TB, because pockets are for owners only just made my day.  I am howling with laughter right now.

hahahahah! same with the back seam in coats. Cut the stich!

Lol. It's like keeping your daughter a virgin to keep her sale worth high. >___< Super old-school.

^ OMG. Hahahahaahahaha, Gwen!

hahahahahahahah! 

No grubby hands in the cookie jar! 

Bahahahaha, I was thinking it was more like not putting out til you found 'the one' (or they find you in this case) 

Anonymous Insider

"You can touch everything but you have to pay to touch the pockets!"

😄

Pockets are intimate.  

The pockets want you to buy them dinner first.

image.jpg

Cause I'm a crummy date!  

Do do I have an in? 

and, here is the cookie!  Lol!!!!

So I am now in the market for a new eyeshadow blending brush.

I've been using one from Luxie Beauty that I got from ipsy a few months ago, that I actually really liked. It was soft and not too dense, and it worked well.

But it was also cheap, and the ferrule just fell off the handle last night. So. I need something new. I don't want to buy the same brush as a replacement for onvious reasons, so can anyone suggest a favorite alternative?

I'm looking for preferably synthetic hair (I don't have the good habits to take care of a nice natural hair brush), with a flat top (really liked this about the luxie brush), and not super dense. Also prefer something I can get at Sephora or Ulta.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I like the Sigma E40. It's not a flat top though =/

I use the Real Techniques setting brush. It's a bit larger than a traditional blending brush, I guess, but I adore it. And besides setting undereye makeup, you could also use it as a highlighter brush.

I use it nearly daily, have had it about a year, and have no complaints.

RTbrush

I also use this brush for setting my under eye concealer and highlighting!

I've always found that whenever I buy an RT brush I NEVER use it for what it's intended for. Their expert face brush? I use it for blending my contour gel even though it's intended for foundation. Blush brush? All over powder. It's way too giant and fluffy for my cheeks 😛

testing