Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY

this thread has worked hard and deserves a proper rest. please now post in RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY PART DEUX 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/RANDOM-THOUGHTS-BEAUTY-PART-DEUX/td-p/2461692

Ok so I've been wanting to make this thread for a while. I've also been wanting to start a "random thoughts" thread...but I figured I'd separate the categories so that at least the "beauty" one is on the front page, rather than hidden in off topic. So, have a beauty-related thought but don't think it's worth starting a thread about ? Post it here !

today I got a facial at an extraordinarily nice spa. A real treat. And the results were immediate and truly great. But guys: she pulled out a clarisonic and a foamy cleanser for that first initial cleanse, and I nearly had a heart attack. Great for a lot of people but most of you know how I feel about those things !!!!!! Overall, as I said, it was great and my skin is happy. But sheesh.

SWATCH REQUEST THREAD HERE: http://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

(have fun wasting even more time in the...) VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD !!  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/td-p/1826210

RANDOM BEAUTY FACTS ABOUT YOU THREAD !

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/Random-Beauty-Facts-About-You/td-p/2409264

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY

A few minutes ago I was watching my mom put tinted moisturizer underneath her eyes, JUST underneath her eyes, and I started telling her about concealer and whatnot.

But she cut me off to tell me she'd found a vision board she made when she was in her 20's. It had the usual stuff on it. Nice house, big closet, family, pretty car.......and a big brownie.

I'm still laughing, because she can't explain why she put a brownie on a vision board.

Is anyone here a chemist?   I was under the impression from all my research that vitamin c rendered retinol useless which is why you're advised to apply any retinol 30 minutes before using products with vitamin c.  So the retinol has a chance to soak into the skin and be effective.  

This is new Lancer product claims to have both retinol and vitamin c.  :/.  I'm not do sure about this.

http://www.sephora.com/advanced-c-radiance-cream-vitamin-c-collagen-cofactor-10x-P399751?skuId=17478...

I am but this is not really in my field.  I have a PhD in pharmaceutical chem but I didn't study dermatological medicines unfortunately.

Oh boo.   We were so close to having all the answers!   

Sorry hearts.  I studied mostly chemotherapy (well that's what my thesis was on).  But I think I can find this out from a colleague.

Thanks to this reminder, I now need a new serum 2-3 nights/week.  Although my retinol is OTC so doubt its even doing anything anyways.  

I have a chemistry minor but I'm not a chemist...so I googled ;).

There is an article on Paula's Choice about busting retinol myths and one of the myths is that vitamin C and retinol shouldn't be used together. They say that vitamin C actually helps retinol work better by fighting free radicals, which helps protect the retinol from oxidizing.

But then I found some Q&As from dermatologists saying to use them separately.

So...I don't know, either. 

Two questions-

1. How long does it take for retinol to oxidize? (Cause I only need that 30 minute window to absorb what I'm going to absorb)

2. Wouldnt mixing retinol with other products dilute it causing you to absorb less?  

Yeah, my derm told me not to mix them.  That the vitamin c would still be effective but I would be essentially wasting my prescription.  

Do you use Retin A or retinol? There are a whole lot of conflicting opinions but one dermatologist said that you can't combine Retin A with any other products but retinol is not metabolized as quickly and you can combine it with things like vitamin C and glycolic acid.

There are also several vitamin C/retinol products that come in separate containers and you mix them in your hand or in a bottle and then use them immediately. I don't know if that is scientifically necessary or just a gimmick.

(Not really finding much on how long it takes to oxidize. What I'm reading mostly says that it can oxidize if formulated, stored, or packaged improperly - basically needs to be kept away from light/air, I think.)

Retin-A but there us retinol in my night products as well.  I have to stagger my skincare. 

I use RetinA at night and am careful to only apply vitamin C products in the morning. I've seen mixed information as well. Hopefully someone can chime in and enlighten us!:)

I was told it was fine to, by all means, continue with my regular night routine after it had had 30 minutes to absorb at full strength.  I want to hear more opinions.   

Tip: Do not eat a protein bar without checking the expiration date because you're too lazy to go to the kitchen for some real food.  (It expired in April.  No wonder it tasted awful.)

I doubt the expiration date has anything to do with it tasting awful. On that note, if anyone knows of a great tasting protein bar, please tell me. I do love the chocolate coated greens plus bars, but they are not high in protein.

Hmmmm, sounds like french toast day to me when the milk goes off.  But you also need stale bread.   Now I want french toast...

I'm not a french toast fan, but it's my hubby's breakfast of choice for a lucky day. 

Is that like a day he gets lucky... 😛

Nah, guz, he doesn't need french toast for that;)

Haha  😉

Now I want french toast too!  If you make it I will come over and share it 😉

11 Replies
testing