Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY

this thread has worked hard and deserves a proper rest. please now post in RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY PART DEUX 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/RANDOM-THOUGHTS-BEAUTY-PART-DEUX/td-p/2461692

Ok so I've been wanting to make this thread for a while. I've also been wanting to start a "random thoughts" thread...but I figured I'd separate the categories so that at least the "beauty" one is on the front page, rather than hidden in off topic. So, have a beauty-related thought but don't think it's worth starting a thread about ? Post it here !

today I got a facial at an extraordinarily nice spa. A real treat. And the results were immediate and truly great. But guys: she pulled out a clarisonic and a foamy cleanser for that first initial cleanse, and I nearly had a heart attack. Great for a lot of people but most of you know how I feel about those things !!!!!! Overall, as I said, it was great and my skin is happy. But sheesh.

SWATCH REQUEST THREAD HERE: http://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

(have fun wasting even more time in the...) VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD !!  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/td-p/1826210

RANDOM BEAUTY FACTS ABOUT YOU THREAD !

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/Random-Beauty-Facts-About-You/td-p/2409264

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY

I have 2 daughters and looking at this kind of things makes me sad. 

They might have learnt it at school but personally I'll not put it in front of them as a product that will give them thought that maybe they'll look *S**Y* after using it. Might sound old fashioned but I want them to look cute not Sexy till a specific age.

You shouldn't be looking 'sexy' til you're old enough to be taking responsibility for the consequences of sex. 

Exactly!

That is not old fashioned, but just plain good parenting on your part. 

I'm with you!

How strange.

A side note- I don't think I like the idea of the surprise sexual message when you open a cleanser.  Be upfront that the message is there.  I know iI would not have purchased this for my kid had I known. 

I think these names can definitely get a bit tiresome.

Although I will take an "Orgasm" any day over "Abused" or "Jawbreaker" (which are lip products from one of the Indie brands I saw on BT I think).

What about jawbreaker candy?  Remember those?  I believe it was named for the fact that you could possibly break your jaw on them?  So maybe the name is a throwback to the candy?  (hopeful)

I have never eaten Jawbreaker candy.  But I'm glad to know there might be other references to jawbreaker.  Unfortunately "Abused" is just plain tacky and stupid.

I think I'll just peel the label off abused. 

Jefferee Star? 

Could be...not sure.  I remember the lip colour names cuz they were......special.

Ha, I just checked my stash to see what the names were of mine.   I own both of those plus Redrum and blue velvet.  

I knew those names rang a bell! 

Yes, Jeffree Star has Abused and Jawbreaker

When it comes to products, I think the whole sex sells gimmick is overrated. Most people are not buying products to see this, so they should just leave it off. 

I wish they would stop doing that.  It's actually kind of embarrassing when someone asks what lipstick you have on and you don't want to tell them.  

I've felt this way about the sexy names of some of the OPI nail polishes. I know I've passed over buying a couple because of the names. I'm still a little O.o over NARS blush names too. Fortunately I just have Orgasm and no one has asked me what I was wearing on my cheeks but still, it's a little odd to hear youtubers rattle off the names even though it's common now and I should be used to it. 😕

Regarding marketing in general I've run into a few people who think the Urban Decay shadow names and grunge vibe are also tacky vs their price but they are my favorite shadows...I thought MAC Fabulous Felines WAS fab but the Haute Dogs campaign made me laugh. I liked Victoria's Secret way before all the loungewear and roomwear was a thing, I still have a silky chemise and robe from quite a while ago but I haven't shopped there in over a decade. But as a teen, I liked Madonna's lingerie on the outside look and might have been guilty of occasional inappropriateness. If she had been popular when I was 13 I can't say good judgement would have prevailed. 😄

Not exactly related, but 2 words;

MELTED CHIHUAHUA!!!

Lol! Jumping in here because I had a conversation about this with my sister the other day. We went to look at the new MAC collection .. The one with the dogs which I still don't entirely get and she thought it would be cute to have something with the name chihuahua in it.  She has a chihuahua. I mentioned too faced had a melted chihuahua ...her face...priceless. Just no. Terrible imagery. Not cute.

33 Replies
testing