Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY

this thread has worked hard and deserves a proper rest. please now post in RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY PART DEUX 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/RANDOM-THOUGHTS-BEAUTY-PART-DEUX/td-p/2461692

Ok so I've been wanting to make this thread for a while. I've also been wanting to start a "random thoughts" thread...but I figured I'd separate the categories so that at least the "beauty" one is on the front page, rather than hidden in off topic. So, have a beauty-related thought but don't think it's worth starting a thread about ? Post it here !

today I got a facial at an extraordinarily nice spa. A real treat. And the results were immediate and truly great. But guys: she pulled out a clarisonic and a foamy cleanser for that first initial cleanse, and I nearly had a heart attack. Great for a lot of people but most of you know how I feel about those things !!!!!! Overall, as I said, it was great and my skin is happy. But sheesh.

SWATCH REQUEST THREAD HERE: http://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

(have fun wasting even more time in the...) VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD !!  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/td-p/1826210

RANDOM BEAUTY FACTS ABOUT YOU THREAD !

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/Random-Beauty-Facts-About-You/td-p/2409264

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY

I gloss over her reviews for the most part too.

I often disagree with her too!  My coloring and tastes are very different.  Sometimes she just confuses me.  She said a recent Chanel blush wasn't at all pigmented but on me it was so pigmented I needed a light hand and to blend.  But I do like how fast she gets stuff up and I appreciate her swatches.

I totally agree.  Some things that she likes so much turn out to be so disappointing to me.  I like looking at her swatches though although not the swatches on her face but the swatches she does on her hand.

I heard about Temptalia on here and sometimes check out her site. I find the site difficult to navigate. 

If I want to look up a review I only find a review for 2 items out of the entire line.  I am not sure if it is me not searching correctly, but at least Paula (reviews all her products in a neat manner).  If this is the case it is not worth my time to go to her site to read about 2 eyeshadows.

But, good for Temptalia that she has managed to build something past a hobby blog and it is all working out for her. She posts on the comment section which is a very nice personal touch.

I never pay attention to reviewer's opinions on whether they like/dislike products.  

Generally if I am looking at a review, it is for swatch purposes only.  I used to look at Temptalia exclusively, until I realized her lip pigment and coloration were different enough than mine that I wasn't getting the results I'd been hoping for.  

Now I mostly look up MakeupAndBeautyBlog, and I never ever pay attention to her reviews, because she seems to like everything 😄

If I listened to Temptalia, I'd have never bought either of the recent NARS x Christopher Kane multiples, which I love.  Sometimes I think she just gets really crappy press samples.

I so agree on Makeup and Beauty Blog. I enjoy her reviews--her posts are very entertaining--but I always take her reviews with a grain of salt because they are always very positive.

I do like her blog because I feel that even though her skin colour is quite a bit darker than mine, I get a much better idea of what a colour might look like on me, having the same undertones, facial feature shapes and hair colour and all. 

There have been a few products I bought after reading her reviews that made me fairly disappointed...MAC Giambattista Margherita being the most recent one--it was patchy, uneven, and unimpressive. I ended up returning

I totally agree. 

That's a big pet peeve of mine - when a reviewer seems to like everything!  Then I wonder if all the products were sent gratis.  These days it's hard to take a review at face value.  If I'm that interested I'll check out the product on my own.

I can totally see that!  There are a lot of products I bought and love that she had reviewed negatively.  

That's the thing about reviews, you have to find the reviews that share similar tastes, experiences and POV if you want to trust them.  Everyone has different expectations so everyone has different experiences.  

Some things she loves I know to avoid, any blush she thinks has great color payoff is going to be way too hard for me to deal with since I'm much paler than she is.  Ones she touts as buildable, those I'm all over since I know they can be sheered out easily.

I agree.  Her reviews are her opinion.  I just don't feel the same way as her about most things.

The Nordstrom GWP bag is still available on Hautelook.  So much for the email they sent out telling people to hurry because "they go fast". Lol. I bet the sale times out before it sells out.

Give it a month or two. It will be $10 as they try to unload them. 

I just checked this morning to see if it was still there.  They've gotta know by now that it was a crappy bag for it to still be hanging around.

People reacting to 'Amazon's Luxury Beauty Box' during Prime on the comments.  The funniest part is that Amazon deleted a bunch of negative comments and are acting like they did not deserve them after trying to sell some WEN foil for $25! 

Spoiler
81hnUZWfr3L._SX450_.jpg

day ago

Your just jealous"? No, really? Let's ignore the illiterate 'your' instead of 'you're'; who says something as stupid as 'your just jealous'?? What are you, 12??

While you were gushing over foil packets at Amazon, I was getting a ton of free stuff at Macy's, Nordstrom, and Sephora. I'm rolling in real freebies that are actually useable, not a foil packet anyone can get by walking up to a beauty counter and asking. And you think you scored big cause you got a $25 gift card? LOL! I get twice that in a month from Amazon - all free!

I hate to burst your bubble, but you don't sound like you know much about high-end makeup, much less where to get the best stuff at the best price. The Amazon beauty box was a bust; the only people who don't know that are dummies who think Cover Girl and Maybelline are prestige brands!

1 day ago
I shop on Amazon all the time, so I got some very good savings on Prime Day...and I got these samples for free. And I got a free $25 gift card, a $10 account credit and a $5 account credit for lawn and garden--all of which I already spent on things I needed and got for FREE! I say all of you posting negative reviews DIDNT EVEN GET ONE! Your just jealous.

2 days ago
You're lucky they let your review stay up. I tried four times to post a review, which was NOT positive, and every time, Amazon removed it. They are very sensitive about this epic FAIL beauty box!

Since I am amongst friends, I thought I might share a style horror story.

I have a really comfortable pair of distressed jeans.  Recently I found out to my horror that one of the strategic distress points was located on my

bum.

It was a very discrete rip that would only show up when worn.  I wore this 3-4 times at least before the discovery.  Dear lord.  I am only grateful for all the people who were too polite or respectful not to have pointed it out when I was in public (random people or acquaintances I mean).  Or maybe they didn't see it.  Or maybe it wasn't there?  I am now just being wishful....

Anyway, it is now mended. 

How big of a rip? I have a story like that, and at work to boot.

I was wearing some navy khakis and a drapey cardigan to work the other day, and I knew the cardigan had a tiny hole that was starting to wear through in the shoulder. I knew it was there, but it was so small that I didn't worry about it. A coworker of mine pointed out the tiny hole in the sweater and I was all "Yeah yeah, I know..."

Then a couple hours later some coworkers and I were walking and one says "Did you know you've got a hole in your..." and I was all, "Yeah, on my shoulder. I know." And she's all, "NO! In the back of your pants!" to which another coworker also confirmed, saying it wasn't that bad. First coworker was all, "Take them off, I'll sew them!" Strange, given I would be pantless at work.

Anyway I gave it a feel and it was BAD. At least a good 2" tear in the butt. And let's just say I wasn't wearing the most conservative of under garments. Thankfully I was supposed to meet a friend for lunch and it was the day of the Supreme Court ruling on gay marriage so the whole office had checked out, my boss wasn't in the office and I left citing wardrobe malfunction.

I literally went home and threw away almost everything I was wearing. Lol.

LOL,"strange given I would be pantless at work"

hilarious.

LOL that's horrifying (and hilarious now)

Awww, that would have mortified me!   Excuse to go shopping?  

LMFAO

etscore - I am comforted that we might have shared the same pain.  I wish we hadn't.

The tear on mine wasn't even on a seam or anything, just a straight vertical rip dead center left cheek. 

testing