Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY

this thread has worked hard and deserves a proper rest. please now post in RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY PART DEUX 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/RANDOM-THOUGHTS-BEAUTY-PART-DEUX/td-p/2461692

Ok so I've been wanting to make this thread for a while. I've also been wanting to start a "random thoughts" thread...but I figured I'd separate the categories so that at least the "beauty" one is on the front page, rather than hidden in off topic. So, have a beauty-related thought but don't think it's worth starting a thread about ? Post it here !

today I got a facial at an extraordinarily nice spa. A real treat. And the results were immediate and truly great. But guys: she pulled out a clarisonic and a foamy cleanser for that first initial cleanse, and I nearly had a heart attack. Great for a lot of people but most of you know how I feel about those things !!!!!! Overall, as I said, it was great and my skin is happy. But sheesh.

SWATCH REQUEST THREAD HERE: http://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

(have fun wasting even more time in the...) VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD !!  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/td-p/1826210

RANDOM BEAUTY FACTS ABOUT YOU THREAD !

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/Random-Beauty-Facts-About-You/td-p/2409264

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY

I was scrolling down and I saw this image. I was really confused because I was thinking "I didn't post anything... why is it thanking me?" Then I realized it was an image 😛

That's funny.  My kids have been known to play with my laptop when I walk away, so I would have been looking for their post. 

even when we complain.  Always thankful:) 

I hate that I cannot get used to single spacing after punctuation.  Yes, that dates me, but I do not care.  In this new world where single spacing rules, it makes my posts look terrible.  Why?  Because, us dinosaur double spacers have an extra space at the start of our sentences when they start at the left of the screen on almost every format making it look like we do not know how to type.  I am starting to realize more and more that I am one of the few holdouts.  When I try to convert, I forget.  Then, I get writing that is double and single spaced all the way through.  grrr!

I don't care what anyone says...I am a double spacer after a period FOR LIFE

AND my capital j will always wear a HAT! J <----- see no hat...it looks so sad!

but I will do the "new" math it makes more sense to me...

Anonymous Insider

That is how I was taught, and that is how I roll.

I feel like I've found my people.  Two spaces forever!

BT definitely consists of my people.  Sorry that I am trying to leave you ladies.  You were great company, Michelle.

I'm referring to leaving the two space crowd, not BT, so I am sorry to disappoint the people who got excited for a split second.

NC,

There is the right way, and then there is the single space way.

Two spaces after a period.  Everything else is just silly.

P.S- BTW, do you use two spaces after all punctuation?   I have never seen that.  After commas I just use one space like all other old timers.

1. That was very funny.

2. No, I only use one space after commas, colons, semicolons, parenthesis, etc.  I was referring to these guys <?!.> when I said I give punctuation two spaces.

3. Someone needs to tell formatters our way is right, because I do not want to adapt.  The darn alignment problems send my OCD into overdrive.  It seriously irritates me when new sentences have a space in front of them on the far left.

I'd be happy if that trend came back. Would make those 10 page papers feel a little less long.

I never even thought about this, but I double spaced all through college.  If anyone single spaced, they had to write more words.  Not that ever writing a ton of stuff has ever been an issue for me. 

Aaaah, we are in complete agreement then.  I send all my reports formatted in the right way.  Sometimes they are intercepted by well meaning administrative staff that "format" reports and remove all my important spaces.

Youths!

I'm old, and a copyeditor nerd to boot, but I heartily embraced the single space. Aesthetically it just looks sooooo much better.

It looks better in formatting, too.  I do not disagree with you.  It's just hard to adjust.

I had no idea until my lab's masters student told me that it was outdated... only a few months ago! I am angry about it because I have always double-spaced and been very attentive to formatting in my writing everywhere. I even double-spaced in instant messenger and texting! It took me a little while to remember to not do it, but for a short while there, I felt a little self-conscious about using improper formatting when I had thought for so long that it was the proper way to do it. Balls.

Gwen, please don't cave in!

Peer pressure makes people do ugly things like drugs, listening to Kiss or Cold Play, and using single spaces.  Don't give in.  Don't give up!

Hahah! No to all of those but the single-spacing. I am okay with it for now. I still double-space when writing fiction or essays. Maybe that's something... I think single-spacing is supposed to be easier on the brain for readability, but the debate on that continues.

I still double space in texts and Twitter.  I only remove the spaces when I run out of room.  For me, it is more an issue of alignment although I do think it is weird that there are certain people who judge others for it as in the article excerpt I attached below.  Adapting is way more difficult than I thought it would be, but I have only been trying for a week.  Hopefully, it gets easier.  Having items half double spaced and half single spaced looks worse to me, because it looks like I cannot decide.  Thus, I am rolling with both.  The balls comment at the end was really funny.

I can relate! After learning to always double space, and doing so for a couple decades, I was forced to convert to single spacing when working a proposal that had severe page limits. It took some time for me to accept this constraint but upon seeing firsthand the space we gained, I became an eager convert. Besides replacing all the double spacing between periods with single, we even subtly closed up the line spacing to get more space.

Ever since then, I type with a single space after punctuation.

But now with texting, to get a period to automatically occur, I have to double space after my sentence. This is annoying to me because it seems like a wasted keystroke and I'm afraid it will make me go back to double spacing when typing elsewhere. But so far I'm still using single spaces when typing on the computer and have had no difficulty going back to double spacing when texting.

When I'm editing, I admit that I frequently close up all the spaces to single space. This is done to save space and also for consistency when dealing with multiple writers.

Formatting only looks good in single space versions as well as saving space.  No sites adapt the left alignment for double spacing anymore.  I am glad to see conversion is possible, because I am struggling.

1 Reply
testing