Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY

this thread has worked hard and deserves a proper rest. please now post in RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY PART DEUX 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/RANDOM-THOUGHTS-BEAUTY-PART-DEUX/td-p/2461692

Ok so I've been wanting to make this thread for a while. I've also been wanting to start a "random thoughts" thread...but I figured I'd separate the categories so that at least the "beauty" one is on the front page, rather than hidden in off topic. So, have a beauty-related thought but don't think it's worth starting a thread about ? Post it here !

today I got a facial at an extraordinarily nice spa. A real treat. And the results were immediate and truly great. But guys: she pulled out a clarisonic and a foamy cleanser for that first initial cleanse, and I nearly had a heart attack. Great for a lot of people but most of you know how I feel about those things !!!!!! Overall, as I said, it was great and my skin is happy. But sheesh.

SWATCH REQUEST THREAD HERE: http://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

(have fun wasting even more time in the...) VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD !!  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/td-p/1826210

RANDOM BEAUTY FACTS ABOUT YOU THREAD !

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/Random-Beauty-Facts-About-You/td-p/2409264

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY

Years ago, I walked in on a co-worker watching the video that made them famous.  You do not want to see it.  I'm forever traumatized.  I was stunned first that he was watching that at work.  Then, I was stunned at what I saw.  Lastly, I was stunned that it took me a few seconds to walk away.

I think a lot of us have been in the situation where we just simply cannot walk away from watching their train wreck show ... 

I've seen their E show, not that I actively watch it.  That is sadly not what I was referring to.  I'm not pro or anti Kardashian, but I am anti vulgarity and the 15 seconds or so I saw of the video was not something I enjoyed.

It actually takes a lot for me to love or dislike anyone, celebrities included.  The Kardashians are not my favorite cup of tea, but I do not have a problem with the way they choose to live either.  #Whatevermakesyouhappy

Live and let live. I have a similar opinion on vulgarity but if someone chooses to express themselves in a given manner .. Than so be it, but it also allows for others to chose to not be around it or associate themselves. I suppose that's why I am so aghast to Philosophy sending product to Kris Jenner. 

I canceled my Allure subscription after Kim was on the cover. And I wrote them a letter. Get off my lawn!

upload_7609296242485392455.gif

This gif never gets old LOL

You kill me with these LOL! Haha

Nothing alluring about that.

Love it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is absolutely peeved at this Kardashian fiasco.  

that is hysterical lolol you've made me laugh more than once this week!!!

😄 thanks Jen LOL!

I do not disagree with you, but the sad reality is most media wants to publicize the Kardashians getting something whereas few really cover charitable things.  The press Philosophy gets by sending $600 worth of items to the Kardashians is a WAY cheaper investment than any advertising they may do.  Some still subscribe to the no press is bad press mentality as well, so even those bothered by the fact talk about it adding to the brand being mentioned.  I would not have known without seeing your post, so writing about it here adding to its promotion, even unintentionally.  

It is like the goodie bags given at awards ceremonies.  Those bags worth thousands of dollars and could really benefit the needy.  The celebrities wearing the items though give the companies free press.  When the celebrities give the items away, which they can do what they want once the items are theirs, it actually does the company as disservice.  They want the celebrity photographed with their items and probably hate when they gift them away under the radar.

You are absolutely right in all of this. The cost of free press that Instagram allows for companies is far beyond the reach of (some) of their consumers who have to budget for a product that may be well beyond their budget. Even more so, the fact that I am (though, unintentionally) adding to it. 

read. negative. skincare. reviews. with. a. grain. of. salt.

sometimes my skin crawls because you read a review and you can tell

1. the person didn't give that particular product enough time ("i tried it for a week and saw no difference")

2. you don't know how they're using a particular product in their routine, or, for that matter, what the rest of their routine is, and how it works in conjunction with reviewed product ("this moisturizer just sits on my skin and never absorbs" quite likely means they're not cleansing or exfoliating thoroughly)

3. a lot of people don't know what they're skin type is. most often this leads to people thinking they have dry skin when in fact they have dehydrated skin.

anyway, i don't mean to get lectury !! plenty of people ARE well informed and their experience deserves to be shared. but as valuable as reviews can be, they can also be detrimental. sigh.

I agree, and I want to say that something similar goes for clothing reviews.  Please excuse my rant.

I'm eyeing a top online, but I almost passed it by because it had an average of 2 stars from reviewers.  My first thought is the top must be poorly made, but  when I read the reviews I see the buyers are giving the top 1-2 stars because it doesn't fit their body type.  They complain it's too small in the bust and doesn't fit their curves.  They complain that manufactures need to remember that women's bodies have curves.  

That's all well and good, but I wish they would remember that not all women have curves.  For someone like me who barely fills an A cup it's very difficult to find tops that fit in the bust, especially during during the summer when so many tops have low necklines. There are tons of tops out there that don't fit my body type, but I don't go around giving them poor reviews.  What about mentioning the quality of material and construction, or maybe tell us how the color and print look in person?   The top may not work for you, but if you could provide that information you could benefit someone who would like the product.      

Clothing reviews bring out a special kind of stupid. I was looking at some tops I wanted today to make sure they didn't have any major problems. One had an open lower back very clearly displayed in the image, and a low V neck front. Most of the negative reviews were from larger women complaining about how the top showed off their muffin top, or from women complaining that the top was too revealing. A Different shirt which stated it's sizing and that it needed the hand wash cycle had complaints from people who were clearly the wrong size for what they ordered complained that the shirt didn't fit, and then someone complained that the shirt started fraying after they put it in the regular wash cycle. The last was  clearly a halter neck where most of the negative reviews complained that a regular bra couldn't be worn with the shirt.

I don't understand why using your eyes is such a difficult concept for some people. Don't blame the shirt because you forgot you don't own a multi way bra!

Obviously the Jaclyn Hill BECCA highlighter already has 36 reviews. I mean why wouldn't it. 

YES!  I hate "took one look and" the most!  "Took one look and knew it wouldn't work for me" or "took one look and knew it was perfect!".  Thank you for basing a review on absolutely nothing.  Super helpful.  Didn't your momma teach you not to judge a book by it's cover?

Yeah and "reviews" like that are posted all the time. Yet many of my detailed reviews with a range of stars have been rejected. I've officially stopped reviewing products on Sephora. Waste of my time quite frankly. 

And another thing *gets back on soapbox". I'm still peeved about a review I submitted years ago for the PTR powder sunscreen. The brush component was a nightmare. Difficult to open and sometimes plumes of powder would explode out of it and go all over me and my clothes. I returned the first one thinking I got a dud. Nope. Second one was even worse. I wrote a review about the powder itself but added the issues with the brush. They rejected it and told me that was a customer service issue. No it's not. If the friggin thing doesn't dispense the product and the component is part of the selling point, it's a product issue. Yes I know, I must let go of this resentment LOL. 

18 Replies
testing