Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY

this thread has worked hard and deserves a proper rest. please now post in RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY PART DEUX 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/RANDOM-THOUGHTS-BEAUTY-PART-DEUX/td-p/2461692

Ok so I've been wanting to make this thread for a while. I've also been wanting to start a "random thoughts" thread...but I figured I'd separate the categories so that at least the "beauty" one is on the front page, rather than hidden in off topic. So, have a beauty-related thought but don't think it's worth starting a thread about ? Post it here !

today I got a facial at an extraordinarily nice spa. A real treat. And the results were immediate and truly great. But guys: she pulled out a clarisonic and a foamy cleanser for that first initial cleanse, and I nearly had a heart attack. Great for a lot of people but most of you know how I feel about those things !!!!!! Overall, as I said, it was great and my skin is happy. But sheesh.

SWATCH REQUEST THREAD HERE: http://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

(have fun wasting even more time in the...) VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD !!  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/td-p/1826210

RANDOM BEAUTY FACTS ABOUT YOU THREAD !

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/Random-Beauty-Facts-About-You/td-p/2409264

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY

I stalk the shadows even when covered in sunscreen!  When I am with my husband's family, they laugh.  My family, who burns easily, usually follows me into the shade.

I look like Lydia from Beetlejuice at the beach. People have actually pointed at me and laughed LOL!

image.jpg

I will lurk along in the shadows with you.  At least we'll have company. 

I find the one advantage to being ghostly white is that the sunscreen just sorta blends right in, kinda like foundation on most people!! 🙂

A lot of people are sensitive to chemical sunscreens. I find that I have more skin reactions and/or breakouts when I use a chemical sunscreen than when I use a physical sunscreen. Chemical sunscreens are so popular right now because they don't have much in the way of that "white cast" that physical sunscreens do. They also don't layer on as thick, so I don't think they are nearly as protective because we are surely not putting on the same amount as the clinical trials were done with. I think it is best to stick with physical sunscreens, personally, but chemical sunscreens feel so much nicer on the face. 😐

Anonymous Insider

I find the best protection is my Coolibar hat. UPF 50 so it blocks 97.5 – 98+ of UV rays and I don't have to worry about any cast. 😉 "While standard summer fabrics have UPF ~6, sun protective clothing typically has UPF ~30, which means that only 1 out of ~30 units of UV will pass through (~3%)."

I've been looking at an Eric Javits hat on Nordstrom for a while... It's UPF 60 or something, but I can't afford a $200 hat at the moment. I'm settling on a $25 one from aerie that looks cute and has a super wide brim. Hopefully this will at least help.

Anonymous Insider

$200 is nuts, the Coolibar hats are under $100 and I've had mine for over four years.

I have this same problem every year, I still haven't found one that doesn't turn my face into a horrible mess! Any suggestions ?

I saw something pop up on my Facebook feed a week or so ago claiming that Neutrogena was the worst sunscreen on the market... just googled and found this. 

vancitybuzz dot com/2015/06/neutrogena-sunscreen-toxic-avoid

Spoiler
Neutrogena is the number one sunscreen to avoid, says EWG

The sunscreen market is a $1.3 billion industry, according to some estimates, and while the product is extremely important to maintain our health, some sunscreens do a much better job than others.

In fact, some sunscreens may do more harm than good.

The Environmental Working Group (EWG) has released their 2015 guide to sunscreen, and among the worst brands for sun protection is the number one culprit for toxicity and false advertising, Neutrogena.

“Neutrogena’s advertising hype is further from reality than any other major brand we studied. It claims to be the “#1 dermatologist recommended suncare brand, yet all four products highlighted on Neutrogena’s suncare web page rate 7, in the red – worst – zone in our database,” says EWG.

Not only do many Neutrogena sunscreens contain harmful chemicals like oxybenzone and methylisothiazolinone – we’ll get to those later – but their advertised SPF levels of over 70 have been debunked by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. According to the federal department, SPF levels max out at about 50. Europe, Australia and Japan have already banned brands from advertising SPF levels over 50.

Harmful chemicals and preservatives

EWG states 80 per cent of Neutrogena sunscreens contain oxybenzone, “a hormone-disrupting sunscreen filter” and 33 per cent contain retinyl palmitate, “a form of vitamin A linked to skin damage”.

Oxybenzone

Oxybenzone is part of a class of aromatic ketones called benzophenones and is used in many sunscreens, hair sprays, cosmetics and nail polishes. It is also used in plastics to absorb ultraviolet light. With its use in sunscreen as a broad-spectrum UVB and and short-wave UVA protector, it is acts as a endocrine disruptor.

Endocrine disruptors like oxybenzone interfere with the hormone system, potentially causing cancer, birth defects and developmental disorders. A 2008 study looking at the effects of oxybenzone on juvenile rainbow trout and Japanese medaka found that those samples exposed to the ketone produced a decreased number of eggs, a smaller percentage of fertilized eggs and a smaller percentage of hatched, or viable, eggs.

According to EWG, oxybenzone acts like estrogen in the body and alters **bleep** production in males. It is also associated with endometriosis in women and may cause fertility problems.

Oxybenzone is detected in nearly every American and found in mothers’ milk.

Retinyl Palmitate

Retinyl palmitate is a form of vitamin A used in sunscreens and has been found to accelerate cancer in high doses applied to the skin. While the evidence is not definitive, says EWG, it is troubling. A U.S. government study found that it “may speed the development of skin tumors and lesions when applied to the skin in the presence of sunlight.”

Vitamin A, or Retinol, is also used in many skin products that promise to slow the signs of aging, however its controversy as an ingredient in sunscreen is due to its effects when exposed to sunlight. The harmful effects of retinyl palmitate include brittle nails, hair loss, liver damage, osteoporosis and hip fractures. Norwegian health authorities have also urged women pregnant or breastfeeding to avoid any products with vitamin A due to the skeletal birth defects it may cause.

Environmental Working Group’s list of the worst sunscreens (in alphabetical order):

(But remember, any sunscreen is better than no sunscreen)

11 Worst Spray Sunscreens:

• Banana Boat Clear UltraMist Ultra Defense MAX Skin Protect Continuous Spray Sunscreen, SPF 110
  • Coppertone Sport High Performance AccuSpray Sunscreen, SPF 70
  • Coppertone Sport High Performance Clear Continuous Spray Sunscreen, SPF 100+
  • CVS Clear Spray Sunscreen, SPF 100
  • CVS Sheer Mist Spray Sunscreen, SPF 70
  • CVS Sport Clear Spray Sunscreen, SPF 100+
  • CVS Wet & Dry Sunscreen Spray, SPF 85
  • Neutrogena Fresh Cooling Sunscreen Body Mist, SPF 70
  • Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Body Mist Sunscreen Spray, SPF 100+
  • Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Body Mist Sunscreen Spray, SPF 70
  • Neutrogena Wet Skin Sunscreen Spray, SPF 85+

12 Worst Sunscreen Lotions:

• Banana Boat Sport Performance Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 100
  • Coppertone Sport High Performance Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 100
  • Coppertone Sport High Performance Sunscreen, SPF 75
  • Coppertone Sport Sunscreen Stick, SPF 55
  • Coppertone Ultra Guard Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 70+
  • CVS Sport Sunstick Sunscreen, SPF 55
  • CVS Sun Lotion Sunscreen, SPF 100
  • CVS Sun Lotion Sunscreen, SPF 70
  • Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Daily Liquid Sunscreen, SPF 70
  • NO-AD Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 60
  • NO-AD Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 85
  • Ocean Potion Protect & Nourish Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 70

11 Worst Sunscreens for Kids:

• Banana Boat Clear UltraMist Kids Max Protect & Play Continuous Spray Sunscreen, SPF 110
  • Coppertone Kids Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 70
  • Coppertone Kids Sunscreen Stick, SPF 55
  • Coppertone Kids Wacky Foam Foaming Lotion Sunscreen, SPF 70+
  • Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 70+
  • Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen Stick, SPF 55
  • Equate Kids Sunscreen Stick, SPF 55
  • Kroger Baby Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 70
  • Kroger Kids Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 70
  • Neutrogena Wet Skin Kids Beach & Pool Sunblock Spray, SPF 70+
  • Up & Up Kid’s Sunscreen Stick, SPF 55
Environmental Working Group’s list of the best sunscreens (in alphabetical order):

Products from the following brands meet EWG criteria:

• 100% Pure
  • Adorable Baby
  • Alba Botanica
  • All Terrain
  • Allure
  • Arbonne
  • Aubrey Organics
  • Ava Anderson NonToxic
  • Babo Botanicals
  • Baby Pibu
  • Babyganics
  • Babyhampton
  • Babytime! by Episencial
  • Badger
  • Bare Belly Organics
  • Beautycounter
  • Belli
  • Belly Buttons & Babies
  • Beyond Coastal
  • Biosolis
  • Block Island Organics
  • Blue Lizard
  • Bull Frog
  • BurnOut
  • Burt’s Bees
  • Butterbean
  • California Baby
  • California Naturel
  • Celadon Road
  • Consonant Skincare
  • COOLA
  • Coral Safe
  • CoTZ
  • CyberDERM
  • derma e
  • DHC
  • Dr. Mercola
  • Earth’s Best
  • Elemental Herbs
  • EltaMD
  • Goddess Garden
  • Grahams Natural Alternatives
  • HeadHunter
  • Jan Marini
  • Jason Natural Cosmetics
  • Jersey Shore Sun
  • JOHN MASTERS ORGANICS
  • Juice Beauty
  • Just Skin Food
  • KINeSYS
  • La Roche-Posay
  • Lavanila
  • Lemongrass Spa
  • Loving Naturals
  • Luzern Laboratories
  • MD Moms
  • MD Skincare
  • MDSolarSciences
  • Melvita
  • Mustela
  • MyChelle
  • Naked Turtle
  • Nature’s Gate
  • NIA24
  • Nine Naturals
  • Nurture My Body
  • Poofy Organics
  • Radical Skincare
  • Raw Elements USA
  • RevaleSkin
  • Rocky Mountain Sunscreen
  • Safe Harbor
  • Sensitive Skin Clinic
  • Seventh Generation
  • SkinCeuticals
  • Solar Protection Formula
  • Solbar
  • Star Naturals
  • Substance
  • Sun Bum
  • Sunology
  • Suntegrity Skincare
  • sunumbra
  • Sweetsation Therapy
  • The Honest Company
  • thinkbaby
  • thinksport
  • Tropical Sands
  • TruBaby
  • True Natural
  • TruKid
  • UV Natural
  • Vanicream
  • Yes To Cucumbers

I love Blue Lizard sunscreen.  As it gets harder and harder to find, I stocked up on Neutrogena in its place.  Great!

Etscore, great article. It's interesting in citing retinyl palmitate as accelerating skin cancer because this ingredient is in so many serums and moisturizers. I saw it the other day on the ingredient list for IT under-eye concealer, for heaven's sake.

Retinyl palmitate has gotten my attention lately after finding out that the skin under my eyes is sensitive to it and that if I layer more than one skincare item that contains it, I get redness on my rosacea areas and sensitivity under my eyes. So this means that I'm careful to not layer my Jack Black serum with Sunday Riley Bionic cream.

I'm amazed at how many products have it in them, now that I know to look for it.

I try my best to avoid retinyl palmitate and I'm always ticked off when I find it in sunscreens. This info has been around for years and it seriously bums me out that companies continue to use it. I wish consumers would be as outraged over this ingredient as they are parabens. 

Wait, I thought the whole using retinol during the day thing isn't a thing anymore. That it's just like using an AHA or BHA... use caution but it's not going to kill you. I also thought I read that retinyl palmitate isn't a bad ingredietn either. 

I swear every other day something is good, then it's bad, then it's good again. 

I stopped using mouth care that contains fluoride & my mouth has never felt better. But I recently heard that they (powers that be) are going to be adding more fluoride to our water. I thought we were getting too much fluoride in our water which is why we don't need it in our toothpaste. 

Also I thought I read on here a few months back a HUGE debate that parabens aren't bad either, & it was just a huge marketing scare due to one study that thought parabens may be linked to cancer, but there was no real proof. 

I'm on the no fluoride bandwagon myself. I've used fluoride-free toothpaste for years. 

The retinyl palmitate issue for me is more about the free radicals created. I'm not convinced it's going to give me cancer, but I hate having to make my body work overtime for an unnecessary (in my opinion) ingredient. 

I was was burned severely at the beach when I was 12. It was excruciating and ruined my whole vacation. Since then, I've worn sunscreen on my face, neck and hands every single day. I know genetics are luckily at play, but at 44, I'm virtually wrinkle free. I have a lot of other skin issues, but luckily wrinkles aren't one of them. But I'm fairly pasty so SPF is just a part of my life. 

Anonymous Insider

Any product that accentuates your gene expression for skin turnover will do two things, make you more sensitive to sun burn and also if you have the right factors, it would turn up the chances sooner that you express skin cancer. That it INDUCES skin cancer is a misleading idea. We all love our skin, so we should be regularly paying attention to the signs of skin cancer since it is the one we can most likely spot and have taken care of in an outpatient setting. Both my mother and grandfather have had spots removed so I'm very aware of it myself.

Oh boy, it's never ending, isn't it...the struggle to do and use the best things for our bodies and the environment!?! I read medical studies daily (part of my job) and the frustration I feel from trying to discern what info is best for myself, my family, my patients is overwhelming at times. What to do, what to do...

And what's always great is for every study that concludes a thing is bad, you'll find one equally as reputable arguing that the same thing is good. I think we need to go back to the Stone Ages...of course those folks lived till they were, what? 30?!

Ooooh. What is your job? Do you review submissions for medical journals or something similar?

Oh gwen...ha ha, nothing that exciting, however I do save lives...for real!! Listen to me brag...puke...I am totally not bragging, it's just a dumb joke I use to pick up guys...LOL!!! Now that last part is really a joke! 🙂 I'm just a clinician with a specialty in critical care. But my continuing education is never ending!

no, not "just a clinician". I think it would be interesting to get paid to read medical studies! I love anything associated with the medical field.

Nacie- I am totally game to have a job where all I do is read! But I'd need to have a tread mill and a bed because I can't read sitting upright, unless I'm on the toilet, ha ha! 🙂

testing