Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY

this thread has worked hard and deserves a proper rest. please now post in RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY PART DEUX 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/RANDOM-THOUGHTS-BEAUTY-PART-DEUX/td-p/2461692

Ok so I've been wanting to make this thread for a while. I've also been wanting to start a "random thoughts" thread...but I figured I'd separate the categories so that at least the "beauty" one is on the front page, rather than hidden in off topic. So, have a beauty-related thought but don't think it's worth starting a thread about ? Post it here !

today I got a facial at an extraordinarily nice spa. A real treat. And the results were immediate and truly great. But guys: she pulled out a clarisonic and a foamy cleanser for that first initial cleanse, and I nearly had a heart attack. Great for a lot of people but most of you know how I feel about those things !!!!!! Overall, as I said, it was great and my skin is happy. But sheesh.

SWATCH REQUEST THREAD HERE: http://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

(have fun wasting even more time in the...) VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD !!  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/td-p/1826210

RANDOM BEAUTY FACTS ABOUT YOU THREAD !

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/Random-Beauty-Facts-About-You/td-p/2409264

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY

Me too! I love reading! I love learning, I want to be a professional learner! I don't want to have to contribute to the knowledge or come to any new conclusions (unless they happen naturally, but no pressure please!). I just want to know things! 

lol. Point well taken. Reading makes me sleepy. Well, except posts on BT. They just make me stay up longer than I should!

So cool!

Thank you etscore1 that was informative and I am glad to see the sun screen I use on EWG's best list

No problemo! Like jcmb said, everybody's a critic these days and everything both causes and cures cancer, so I tend to take things with a grain of salt. It's all about context. All these groups tend to have different MOs, so yeah, I hardly believe Neutrogena is going to disappear from the sunscreen market on account of that article. 🙂 

But with so many great sunscreens out there, it's nice to feel like you've found a good one that works for you and is good for you! 🙂 

You are so right Etscore. The amount of info about our lotions and potions is mind blowing. My Greatgmother lived to be 103. Her secret. Dove soap. She still had luminous skin at that age. My Grandma, 95, barely any wrinkles and no deep ones (we tell her she never ages so she must be a witch). Her secret. Glycerin soap  I just look at my arsenal of skincare products and laugh. Aaaaand then research the next "miracle" treatment on the market.

You could find 100 amazing looking 90 year olds and ask them their beauty secrets and get 100 different answers. If there was one cure-all, we wouldn't have an entire industry full of products claiming to be that item!

I just don't get overly caught up in claims. Anything that toxic would either not be on the market or come with a warning. I try not to stress, do my research, test things out, go with my gut and know that none of it is going to make or break my life. But if the quest can make me happier in the process and lead me to a little haven like BT, those things are far more important than any of the products themselves. 

etscore- I always like to know what hits the news. Thanks for all your info! 🙂

I don't find they break me out but I find them so uncomfortable. After an hour or so my face gets so itchy and irritated. There's something in there that doesn't agree with me and I've tried a few brands. I have a nice, lightweight, non-greasy one have one I wear when I absolutely have to but I otherwise just try to avoid the sun!

I used to hate sunscreen because it usually has a greasy feel to it and I hate the smell of it, but I actually really do like the Neutrogena dry touch sunscreen line. The dry touch line smells like lilacs to me and it isn't stick so I'm happy with it. 

Glad you found something that works for you, though!

Was the Neutrogena one mineral-based (like the Walmart zinc one) or chemical-based? I find mineral-based ones cause fewer breakouts on me.

The Neutrogena sunscreens were chemical based. I suspect that maybe what was causing the problem.

Once I use up all the chemical ones on my arms and legs, I'm going to get a zinc based one for the rest of my body. And I'll keep using the Walmart one for my face since it's working out so well.

Many people have trouble with chemical sunscreens, so you are not alone. Lucky me, I also break out from silicones and Shea butter. It's extremely difficult to find one that doesn't have one of these ingredients. The struggle is real. 

I totally feel your pain. On top of the chemical sunscreens, my skin also breaks out from almond oil and (oddly enough) hyaluronic acid.

I figured out that last one a couple of years ago when I compared ingredients of the products that were breaking me out. It was the only ingredient they all had in common. And hyaluronic acid is in so many products, it's not even funny. 

Oh wow, yeah that's another tough ingredient to avoid. I can't even recommend my sunscreen to you because it has a high amount of hyaluronic. Someday I hope we have a company that offers a mix and match system. No silicone for me, no hyularonic for you. Oh a girl can dream 🙂

Hyaluronic acid seems to be the "it" ingredient for the moment. I wonder what it will be next year. lol.

Swallows nest. It's all the rage in Asia. Let's see if they can convert us. I already have snail slime on my face so what's a little bird vomit 😄

Depotting, is it fairly easy? I have a unicorn, HG MAC blush I was finally able to find multiple backups for but now I have my old, original now- empty compact which I'd like to use for something else. I don't want to melt or break the packaging as it's LE and HTF but all the YT videos make it seem that's the only way?

I've been able to get glue to loosen enough by briefly using a hairdryer on the area.

Will give that a try - thanks!

Anonymous Insider

NJ, sometimes putting in a sub 200 F environment that is cooling (an oven that has been off for an hour ish), or putting on a hot water bottle or in a glove box on a hot day would be enough to loosen the glue and then use a thin metal spatula to pry it up at a lose edge. If you have good packaging it shouldn't mar the well edge. If you don't feel the glue giving, try again with one of the alternate methods to finish loosening it up. I was able to make this work with my Bare Minerals stuff which is some of the most STUBBORN packaging I have dealt with over Nyx and UD.

2 Replies
testing