Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

welcome back to the junk drawer of random beauty thoughts and musings. it has been nearly a year, so i think it is time for a rew RT thread ! 

when i'm doing my makeup in the morning, my dog sometimes throws a fit until i move his food bowl over to where i'm sitting. i'm certainly not the diva in our relationship.

THE QUESTIONS THREAD:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/The-Question-Thread-Because-not-all-questions-need-their-ow...

VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD ! :  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/m-p/1826210#M69382

SWATCH REQUEST THREADhttp://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

Without seeing her, her voice makes me think she is only 25.

@jemly,

Thanks, that was educational for me!  🙂

I've seen her products but I've been curious about who Linda Rodin is!  Now I know.

She's stunning! I would love to age as gracefully as her. 

Not beauty related but I want to share a beautiful act that received global recognition. 

IMG_5952.JPG

Just had this dream:

I was in a pub, someone I knew worked there and was bartending. I sat down at the bar and saw that the prepping table behind the counter was filled with all different makeup. I was excited and I asked my friend for a makeover. She took out a jar of thick paste-like foundation that was just thick globs of random different colors, mostly grey colors. She started mixing them together and I said "I think this will make me look too ashy" and she told me she knew what she was doing. I sat there watching her and started realizing all the makeup was very old, very used.. and started trying to think of a way to get out of having it put on my face. When she finished mixing all the colors together it was very clumpy and started separating like oil/water. At this point we agreed that she had mixed an oil-based foundation with a water-based foundation and ruined the mix.. 

then I woke up.

Anonymous Insider

Pixi beauty products are actually nice. 

Never expected to like it, but since all their items are cheap (compared to Sisley I've been using), I just ordered few items and I like them all, shockingly. 

I think I'll repurchase even. Any particular recommendations among their products??

@Anonymous yay ! i adore pixi !!!!

i wholeheartedly recommend what @StephaniLynn listed below, too ! the glow tonic (in either a bottle or pad form) if you like glycolic toners / exfoliation is so so lovely. the glow mud cleanser is AMAZING as a second cleanse (can also be used as a quick mask) and i refuse to be without it (this contains a little glycolic in it as well), and the glow mud mask is my HG clay/mud mask. 

i also recommend the caroline hirons collab 'double cleanse' balm and cream. the cream, in particular, is so lovely--and totally fine for oily skins. it's been said that this is limited edition, though i've heard there's a push to release the cream side as an independent cleanser all on its own. (fingers crossed !)

they have a load of mists. i've found the glow one--which contains argan oil--too heavy for my skin, unfortunately. but the hydrating milky mist ? FAVORITE OF ALL TIME. like, absolutely favorite mist i've ever tried, and it's $15. there's a new mist that contains sunscreen which i think may be brilliant for summer but i haven't tried it yet.

Anonymous Insider

@jemly just wanted to let you know I'm so happy with all Pixi I bought (except glow mist maybe? but that's not too bad either, and wasn't a huge investment anyway). 

Cleanser is great too. MOST importantly, no bad reactions from AHA. It's really surprising since I had bad, real bad reactions from other AHA-containing products from 3-4 different brands (glycolic or lactic acid, all same inflammation). 

The mask became my HG too. So effective yet no irritation!!! I wanted to buy few more tubes but it was OOS last time I checked 😞

@Anonymous not sure what part of the world you're in, but I often buy several tubes at a time because I find their ability to keep it in stock hit or miss. 😉 

I had to get a friend to send me some last year after it was sold out on Pixi's website for several months 😄          

Anonymous Insider

@MochapjI'm currently in the U.S., but I didn't know that stock issue!!!! Next time, I'm buying 5 tubes. This stuff is amazing, clears out congestion and still gentle. 

Anonymous Insider

I was unable to use any glycolic/lactic acid products so far, but I'm having no reaction to the pixi toner so far, so I'm gladly surprised!!

I think I'll try those cleansers, since my previous ones are running low!!! 

Me too, glow one's kinda occlusive and heavy. I'll definitely try that milky mist. 

Price point is really a bonus. Quite reasonable. 

Thanks for the thoughtful recommendations ❤️ ❤️

@Anonymous I recommend their Glow Tonic, Glow Mud Cleanser, and Glow Mud Mask:)

Anonymous Insider

Apparently I need that mud cleanser : )

I feel like I'm going crazy. I bought the Philosophy Pure Grace Summer Surf eau de toilette. My first time using it I thought it smelled wonderful (very similar for MM Replica Beach Walk). The next day I got dressed and sprayed it on, and a few minutes later all I can smell is something foul. A while ago I had some black jeans that reeked of formaldehyde, what I was smelling now reminded me of that. I eventually realized that it was my shirt that suddenly stank like this. It has never smelled like that before, and it only began after I sprayed the fragrance on it. Ewwww. What the heck. I've been playing around with it a bit since then. It seems like it smells fine when sprayed directly on my skin, but heaven forbid it touches clothing. 😐 But even when just on my skin, I swear I can detect hints of the 'formaldehyde' smell. I'm considering returning it.

Has anyone else had something like this happen to them? It seems so bizarre. 

@Asche I've had something similar happen with fragrances: sometimes a new fragrance I get smells amazing the first 1-2 times I wear it, but then after that it suddenly smells horrible to me. This has happened a few times, which is why I now try to get a sample that can be used 3-4 times for any new fragrance I think I like in store. That way, I can try it a few times over several days to really make sure. I don't know if this is the same thing you experienced. For me though, just trying a fragrance on one time isn't going to tell me if I'll like it over the long haul. And actually, this phenomenon where a fragrance suddenly smells "bad" to me when at first I really loved it, does make me feel like I'm going crazy. ETA: but I didn't have it happen with clothing so perhaps your experience here is not related at all to what I said! 

@wickedlollipop That's interesting! I really don't know what to think about the whole situation. There seems to be something about spraying this fragrance on clothing that makes it smell exactly like formaldehyde....but why?! What the heck is going on?!

I'm going to play around with it a bit more this week just to make sure.When I spray it on my skin I still enjoy it (although, like I mentioned, I still get the odd 'formaldehyde' whiff). Really bizarre! 

Not with a fragrance but I used a Bumble and Bumble shine spray years ago that smelled like burning rubber. I remember having that "what's that smell?" moment and then..."oh it's my HAIR." 😞 And of course I had sprung for the big can because it was B&B and assumed the product would be amazing. I tried using it a handful of times after that but didn't enjoy smelling like a garbage fire. 

That is really disappointing!! Nobody wants hair that smells like burning rubber. 😞 Usually B&B products smell amazing.

Oh no!  I've never had this happen, but I've had my eye on that fragrance...I may hold off on that purchase for a while.  :(. @Asche

It's very disappointing @Tamara76 😞 it really stinks. It reminds me of a dirty, oily, gritty machine shop.

If you're able to (or already do) own Beach Walk, it is the much better option. They are so similar that there isn't any point in owning both (except I've never had any 'stinky' issues with Beach Walk). 😛

The concept of owning a red liquid eye liner is getting intensely tempting.....

Main Image - Christian Louboutin Oeil Vinyle Luminous Ink Liner

Why, Christian Louboutin!??!!!?? Why do you do this to me?????????

testing