RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

[ Edited ]

welcome back to the junk drawer of random beauty thoughts and musings. it has been nearly a year, so i think it is time for a rew RT thread ! 

when i'm doing my makeup in the morning, my dog sometimes throws a fit until i move his food bowl over to where i'm sitting. i'm certainly not the diva in our relationship.

THE QUESTIONS THREAD:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/The-Question-Thread-Because-not-all-questions-need-their-ow...

VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD ! :  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/m-p/1826210#M69382

SWATCH REQUEST THREADhttp://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

I was unable to use any glycolic/lactic acid products so far, but I'm having no reaction to the pixi toner so far, so I'm gladly surprised!!

I think I'll try those cleansers, since my previous ones are running low!!! 

Me too, glow one's kinda occlusive and heavy. I'll definitely try that milky mist. 

Price point is really a bonus. Quite reasonable. 

Thanks for the thoughtful recommendations <3 <3

@HoneydewK I recommend their Glow Tonic, Glow Mud Cleanser, and Glow Mud MaskSmiley Happy

Apparently I need that mud cleanser : )

[ Edited ]

I feel like I'm going crazy. I bought the Philosophy Pure Grace Summer Surf eau de toilette. My first time using it I thought it smelled wonderful (very similar for MM Replica Beach Walk). The next day I got dressed and sprayed it on, and a few minutes later all I can smell is something foul. A while ago I had some black jeans that reeked of formaldehyde, what I was smelling now reminded me of that. I eventually realized that it was my shirt that suddenly stank like this. It has never smelled like that before, and it only began after I sprayed the fragrance on it. Ewwww. What the heck. I've been playing around with it a bit since then. It seems like it smells fine when sprayed directly on my skin, but heaven forbid it touches clothing. Smiley Indifferent But even when just on my skin, I swear I can detect hints of the 'formaldehyde' smell. I'm considering returning it.

Has anyone else had something like this happen to them? It seems so bizarre. 

[ Edited ]

@Asche I've had something similar happen with fragrances: sometimes a new fragrance I get smells amazing the first 1-2 times I wear it, but then after that it suddenly smells horrible to me. This has happened a few times, which is why I now try to get a sample that can be used 3-4 times for any new fragrance I think I like in store. That way, I can try it a few times over several days to really make sure. I don't know if this is the same thing you experienced. For me though, just trying a fragrance on one time isn't going to tell me if I'll like it over the long haul. And actually, this phenomenon where a fragrance suddenly smells "bad" to me when at first I really loved it, does make me feel like I'm going crazy. ETA: but I didn't have it happen with clothing so perhaps your experience here is not related at all to what I said! 

@wickedlollipop That's interesting! I really don't know what to think about the whole situation. There seems to be something about spraying this fragrance on clothing that makes it smell exactly like formaldehyde....but why?! What the heck is going on?!

I'm going to play around with it a bit more this week just to make sure.When I spray it on my skin I still enjoy it (although, like I mentioned, I still get the odd 'formaldehyde' whiff). Really bizarre! 

[ Edited ]

Not with a fragrance but I used a Bumble and Bumble shine spray years ago that smelled like burning rubber. I remember having that "what's that smell?" moment and then..."oh it's my HAIR." Smiley Sad And of course I had sprung for the big can because it was B&B and assumed the product would be amazing. I tried using it a handful of times after that but didn't enjoy smelling like a garbage fire. 

That is really disappointing!! Nobody wants hair that smells like burning rubber. Smiley Sad Usually B&B products smell amazing.

Oh no!  I've never had this happen, but I've had my eye on that fragrance...I may hold off on that purchase for a while.  Smiley Sad@Asche

It's very disappointing @Tamara76 Smiley Sad it really stinks. It reminds me of a dirty, oily, gritty machine shop.

If you're able to (or already do) own Beach Walk, it is the much better option. They are so similar that there isn't any point in owning both (except I've never had any 'stinky' issues with Beach Walk). Smiley Tongue

The concept of owning a red liquid eye liner is getting intensely tempting.....

Main Image - Christian Louboutin Oeil Vinyle Luminous Ink Liner

Why, Christian Louboutin!??!!!?? Why do you do this to me?????????

[ Edited ]

Haha! Oh my... I am trying Mahalo Balm today... I love Mahalo products! But, I've never tried this particular one so far. So... Luckily, I'm home. And I know, I know, I should know better by now than use anything with turmeric in it on my snow white skin. But, what can I say? I wanted to try it because I love Mahalo stuff. ( And, I do love turmeric. Just not on my skin because of the obvi effects. ) It feels nice and comfy ( so far ) on my dry, winter skin. But! My face is completely bright orangey yellow!!! The horror! Mr. Husband laughed his behind off when he saw me. He says I look like Trump now. Ugh... Not what a girl want to hear. At all. I just hope it'll wash off, and I won't be yellow for days like this one time I put this turmeric mask on my face... Oh gods! Don't even ask...

So sorry to hear this. I've always wondered if turmeric would do this to skin. Maybe some toner or a mask would help?

Thanks, @DiVWA . Yes, turmeric does this to skin. It stains so badly. If you're fair, like me, it is definitely a no go. They should put in big, bold writing *NOT FOR GHOSTS!!!* on everything skincare containing turmeric! Smiley Very Happy

After I exfoliated the following day, it went away. Mostly. But, yeah, it is gone by now. Phew.

yikes @lyravega! I have been using it for two days. Full disclosure: the color won't show up on me, and I'm sick... so no odd color, and I can't smell anything. Smiley Happy I hope it washes off! 

[ Edited ]

The balm was very nice ( other than staining my skin ). I had it on only for 2-3 hours, though ( was anxious to take it off to see if it would wash off. It didn't. Not completely. )... But, it felt so nice while on. Nourishing, making my dry skin so comfortable and supple, without being too much. It was actually so unbelievably light for such nourishing product. Smell didn't bother me, and it went away after a while anyway. I think I could've liked this one. But, oh well. I am more than happy with my Rare Indigo. It is a miracle worker for my skin. And, the most important thing - it doesn't make my skin blue! Smiley Wink

How are you liking the balm so far, @mrsbaine ?

Hope you're feeling better by now!

Oh dear @lyravega, I'm sorry!!

I sampled that one a few weeks ago, and it was not my cup of tea.  It even gave my skin a little bit of a tint.  I stupidly had used it in the morning and it ended up infusing the very strong scent onto my makeup brushes.  Even days later they still smelled like it and I had to wash them twice to get the smell to go away.

I hope the color goes away quickly!

(0) Hearts

Thanks, @Mochapj . It was no fun. No fun at all. But, the balm felt so nice while I had it on.

And, ouch! Sorry about your brushes! That's a pain, infusing brushes with any kind of scents. Especially the stubborn ones. Good thing you managed to get rid of it!

Ok guys, I think I'm going to purge 80-90% of the makeup that I own.

I was looking at my collection yesterday and started feeling sorta depressed and angry at the thousands of dollars of makeup which have just been sitting there.  Many things haven't been touched in at least 3-4 months.  I have a few regular items that I use, but holy crap, so much stuff that just sits there!!! Eyeshadows, LIPSTICKS (holy goodness the lipsticks), eyeliners, blushes, etc.

Selling 80-90% of this stuff will definitely get me several hundred dollars, maybe even more.  This is money that could have originally been saved and used on some nice outfits or plane tickets.

I'm going to make a change starting now.  No more buying stuff I don't need.  No impulse buys.  No more lipsticks.  Actually, no more anything.

I'm going to start pulling stuff out of my collection starting tonight most likely.

I felt sort of the same the other day seeing all my goodies =( And yet I keep buying more ..

[ Edited ]

@sabrinas

I saved a seat for you with us over in the No-Buy thread Smiley Wink

thMGDY9K56.jpg