Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

welcome back to the junk drawer of random beauty thoughts and musings. it has been nearly a year, so i think it is time for a rew RT thread ! 

when i'm doing my makeup in the morning, my dog sometimes throws a fit until i move his food bowl over to where i'm sitting. i'm certainly not the diva in our relationship.

THE QUESTIONS THREAD:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/The-Question-Thread-Because-not-all-questions-need-their-ow...

VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD ! :  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/m-p/1826210#M69382

SWATCH REQUEST THREADhttp://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

Haha! Oh my... I am trying Mahalo Balm today... I love Mahalo products! But, I've never tried this particular one so far. So... Luckily, I'm home. And I know, I know, I should know better by now than use anything with turmeric in it on my snow white skin. But, what can I say? I wanted to try it because I love Mahalo stuff. ( And, I do love turmeric. Just not on my skin because of the obvi effects. ) It feels nice and comfy ( so far ) on my dry, winter skin. But! My face is completely bright orangey yellow!!! The horror! Mr. Husband laughed his behind off when he saw me. He says I look like Trump now. Ugh... Not what a girl want to hear. At all. I just hope it'll wash off, and I won't be yellow for days like this one time I put this turmeric mask on my face... Oh gods! Don't even ask...

So sorry to hear this. I've always wondered if turmeric would do this to skin. Maybe some toner or a mask would help?

Thanks, @DiVWA . Yes, turmeric does this to skin. It stains so badly. If you're fair, like me, it is definitely a no go. They should put in big, bold writing *NOT FOR GHOSTS!!!* on everything skincare containing turmeric! 😄

After I exfoliated the following day, it went away. Mostly. But, yeah, it is gone by now. Phew.

yikes @lyravega! I have been using it for two days. Full disclosure: the color won't show up on me, and I'm sick... so no odd color, and I can't smell anything. 🙂 I hope it washes off! 

The balm was very nice ( other than staining my skin ). I had it on only for 2-3 hours, though ( was anxious to take it off to see if it would wash off. It didn't. Not completely. )... But, it felt so nice while on. Nourishing, making my dry skin so comfortable and supple, without being too much. It was actually so unbelievably light for such nourishing product. Smell didn't bother me, and it went away after a while anyway. I think I could've liked this one. But, oh well. I am more than happy with my Rare Indigo. It is a miracle worker for my skin. And, the most important thing - it doesn't make my skin blue! 😉

How are you liking the balm so far, @mrsbaine ?

Hope you're feeling better by now!

Oh dear @lyravega, I'm sorry!!

I sampled that one a few weeks ago, and it was not my cup of tea.  It even gave my skin a little bit of a tint.  I stupidly had used it in the morning and it ended up infusing the very strong scent onto my makeup brushes.  Even days later they still smelled like it and I had to wash them twice to get the smell to go away.

I hope the color goes away quickly!

Thanks, @Mochapj . It was no fun. No fun at all. But, the balm felt so nice while I had it on.

And, ouch! Sorry about your brushes! That's a pain, infusing brushes with any kind of scents. Especially the stubborn ones. Good thing you managed to get rid of it!

Ok guys, I think I'm going to purge 80-90% of the makeup that I own.

I was looking at my collection yesterday and started feeling sorta depressed and angry at the thousands of dollars of makeup which have just been sitting there.  Many things haven't been touched in at least 3-4 months.  I have a few regular items that I use, but holy crap, so much stuff that just sits there!!! Eyeshadows, LIPSTICKS (holy goodness the lipsticks), eyeliners, blushes, etc.

Selling 80-90% of this stuff will definitely get me several hundred dollars, maybe even more.  This is money that could have originally been saved and used on some nice outfits or plane tickets.

I'm going to make a change starting now.  No more buying stuff I don't need.  No impulse buys.  No more lipsticks.  Actually, no more anything.

I'm going to start pulling stuff out of my collection starting tonight most likely.

I felt sort of the same the other day seeing all my goodies =( And yet I keep buying more ..

@sabrinas

I saved a seat for you with us over in the No-Buy thread 😉

thMGDY9K56.jpg

@Insomniacmuffin EVERYTHING you post makes me laugh out loud 😄 i'm literally at a point where just seeing your username makes me chuckle because my brain's getting ready to laugh.. does that make sense?!

if you wrote a book i'd buy it!!

@sabrinas I'm sorry you feel so frustrated. I have yet to reach that point but my collection is not as big as some. However, I do feel some sadness whenever I see things just sitting there. What if you start by just decluttering things that are either too old or not flattering? Or like @mrsbaine said, sort things out by season and declutter you spring and summer items that you feel you won't use in the next couple of months.

I've done this.... And most often, it makes me buy more. I believe fully in having an edited collection; it's why I end up doing so many boxes and donating a ton of stuff. What I've learned from "the purge" (which I so affectionately label it) is that I can only do it for the season I'm in. I won't purge fall yet- because in the fall, I may feel differently about some of those colors. I totally get how you feel; I wish you luck! Sometimes makeup is a slippery slope. 

@mrsbaine Yes, I'm afraid that'll happen to me too, but I gotta try and control myself.  It happens when I sell a few things here and there (I post a weekly sales thread on Reddit), and just use the money I make to buy more makeup.  Mind you, I don't make a ton of money, and I feel that the more I make, the less likely I am to spend it on MORE makeup.

It's weird, when I have more cash it's easier for me to save, while when I have less, I just think "well I barely have any anyways, so I might as well just spend it".

Anyone else caught in snow storm Stella laughing at the contrast between ads for new spring lines and current weather? Logically I know good weather is just around the corner, and that many of the placees these ads are going already have it, but I can't help giving side eye to ads telling to go buy a new swimsuit for a beach day with friends, or to take a nice picnic in the park in a new sundress and pastel nail polish when I'm trapped in the house with two feet of snow and freezing wind outside. Then again this is probably just payback for when I was able to go sunbathing in early February. 

Well, I'm off put on some new strapy sandals and shovel out the car haha.

@Annalily11 I have shoveled snow wearing my Uggs Adorondak 2 boots wearing no socks. That is the beauty of Uggs! 

My son flew home on Sunday evening from Florida and I had to bring his coat to the airport.

This storm has been hazardous to my credit card though. 

"How Dating an MUA Ruined My Life" - Funny! *has some profanity*

"I know how to blend.. windshield wiper motions."

and I died.

😄 That was my favorite part!

"My arm is scarred with liquid lipstick swatches...".  LOL!

loved that! very funny!

testing