Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

welcome back to the junk drawer of random beauty thoughts and musings. it has been nearly a year, so i think it is time for a rew RT thread ! 

when i'm doing my makeup in the morning, my dog sometimes throws a fit until i move his food bowl over to where i'm sitting. i'm certainly not the diva in our relationship.

THE QUESTIONS THREAD:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/The-Question-Thread-Because-not-all-questions-need-their-ow...

VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD ! :  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/m-p/1826210#M69382

SWATCH REQUEST THREADhttp://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

I've been so curious about those lip tints, @AshleyYVR! Please post swatches and let us know how you like them if you decide to buy. Besides, I'm, like, the biggest fan of your lipstick collection, so I'd like to know what I should buy next. 😉

Hahah @tcatx I love the idea of my lipstick collection having a fan 😄

I'll probably pick one up so will let you know how it wears for sure.

One of my friends that knows I love makeup added me to a Facebook group, for LipSense. It's one of those I don't know what they're actually called but it's like a pyramid scheme selling tactic thing? Kind of like the Younique brand but just for long wearing lipstick..I was like oh...* unenthusiastic* and then avoided the subject all day. 

I don't like those companies, they make me feel ick. I didn't wanna sound snobby but I probably did and she was just trying to be nice. Does everyone else get ick feeling from companies like this or is it just me? 

I saw a FB add for that. Comment section was full of sellers talking about how it was the best thing ever, circling people like vultures who showed any interest telling them some very suspect information to convince them to start buying. Anyone who mentioned disliking the products (even those very politly stating that it might work for others, just not for them) was immediately pounced on by sellers telling them how they just used it wrong (umm, I don't want a lipstick that people clearly skilled in makeup can apply "wrong").

That on top of the fact that to use their product you need to also buy a special lip gloss and that it apparently only works if you never use any other lip products, made me really dislike the company. 

@Annalily11 I would hate to have a lipstick I could potentially use wrong, I have enough trouble with eyeliner! 

Yeah, one of my Facebook friends has gone nuts on that stuff, and I've had to unfollow her because of all the promoting.  I also hate when people add me to Jamberry groups, because they know I like nail stamping.  They're not the same!!! Lol!

You mean a multi-level marketing thing? (MLM for short.) The kind where you sell products yourself, but also recruit other people to sell/advertise for the company, and then you get a % or commission on your recruits' sales, and their recruits' sales, etc... It's different than a pyramid scheme in that there is an actual product being sold, but similar in that the early joiners can make $$$ but the latecomers never do, just by the nature of the setup.

You definitely are not the only one gets an "ick feeling" for things like that. If it was a good company with a quality product they wouldn't need to do the MLM thing to sell it, they'd just use normal distribution channels. The whole thing is based on making promises to "employees" that are impossible to keep, so when you buy from them you may not be getting scammed yourself, but you're feeding a system that scams the people they recruit to sell for them.

So yeah. I would never knowingly buy a product from a company like that. Ick indeed.

Yes, exactly not my cup of tea! I didn't even know MLM was a thing or how it worked out all, I'm such a dud sometimes haha. Thanks for explaining, @JazaChai I don't feel that guilty anymore about it seeing as others thing it's odd/ick as well. I feel sorry for the salespeople now. But not in the way that I'll buy from them, more in a sad way for them, till they see it's too late. 

Ugh.  I feel you.  A client came into the office a few days ago - I really like her, and I complimented her lipstick, since I have never seen her wearing lipstick.  Of course, she goes - "yes, I sell it!!"  Face palm.  She is a reseller or whatever they call it for lipsense.  Not only do I hate those reselling via Facebook / friends scheme, I looked up the ingredients in lipsense and it all seems a little sketchy to me.  And now I need to avoid this client for a while since she will ask why I never purchased anything / contacted her.  Argh!  

@Milou07 I looked at it a bit but I didn't like the branding/ it didn't feel trustworthy or like the packaging. 

I decided a couple days ago that I needed to have a spreadsheet of all my samples. Man, I have a lot of stuff that I didn't even realize. I definitely have enough skin care to last the next few years, so why do I keep buying things?!?!

IMG_1087.JPGOh, just a single gal at home in a Friday night, bored to death (and kind of lazy tbh), laying in bed swatching my liquid lipsticks and glosses 😛 

@JayJayyy I am a very busy Mom of three and still find myself switching the lipstick of same colour family on my arm just to see how many shades of pinks and reds do I have and if by chance I am missing some unrgently needed shade 😉 That being said Do you know by any chance what is the 6th swatch from bottom in the middle row of long swatches. It is such a pretty shimmery colour.

@fatimamummy Surprisingly I remember!  It's the Dose of Colors liquid lipstick in Teddy. I bought it last year as part of a limited edition Dare to Dazzle trio, so I don't think it's currently available. Milani's metallic liquid lip in Matterialistic is similar, but a little less burgundy. Here's a comparison (the Dose of Colors is closest to my wrist)

IMG_1295.JPG

IMG_1296.JPG

Thank you for finding me a close dupe @JayJayyy These are both pretty colours. I hope I'll be able to find Milani somewhere in Canada.

Anytime darling 🙂

Lol I'm not even single and I've done this. I made a spreadsheet for my lippies so I could sort by color and shop my collection rather than buying dupes. This required an embarrassingly long time to swatch and record them all... and I'm still not done >.<

@JazaChai that is a great idea! Its embarrassing how many of my lippies are pretty much the same color. 

This is amazing. 

Haha I love this @JayJayyy! I find myself doing the same some nights. Although I never get quite as covered as you have!

All the spots make me think of a beautiful pink/red/purple giraffe.

Spoiler
upload_2889291581407141643.png

You'd definitely stand out in a crowd! 😄

@AshleyYVR Hahaha that giraffe is totally what I want to be when I grow up 😄

testing