Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

welcome back to the junk drawer of random beauty thoughts and musings. it has been nearly a year, so i think it is time for a rew RT thread ! 

when i'm doing my makeup in the morning, my dog sometimes throws a fit until i move his food bowl over to where i'm sitting. i'm certainly not the diva in our relationship.

THE QUESTIONS THREAD:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/The-Question-Thread-Because-not-all-questions-need-their-ow...

VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD ! :  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/m-p/1826210#M69382

SWATCH REQUEST THREADhttp://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

Thanks for sharing! So coincidental that you mentioned biotin as I just started taking it too. I was researching it regarding a friend's hair loss and saw that some dermatological sites said that one symptom of deficiency is a scaly rash or redness around the eyes. I get this whenever I react to anything, and lately at other times (although it's not scaly as much as just flaky and red in places), which made me decide to try it as well.

ETA: @ShannonAlexis, I just started a thread on BT precisely for posts like yours if you want to double post this over there and be the first post. (If you don't want to too, that's ok. Just thought I'd mention it.)

Do I need magic holiday balls? Never used meteorites before but they look so pretty this year. Every year I ogle and never buy them then end up seeing the swatches later and regret it. 

I purchased my first and only one last year and I won't be getting more. They are gorgeous but I am happy with the ones I own. 

@moxiepancakes i say with a thing like the meteorites, buy one to treat yourself but don't fall for collecting them (unless, truly, money is no object i suppose). if this one from this collection speaks to you the most, and it's something you've been thinking about for years, scratch that itch ! then leave it be 😉

I agree with jemly! I got myself one "tin" of balls and that was enough for me.

I have an amazing random thought today...I randomly looked in my Sephora app and saw the gift card section. I have three gift cards saved in there totaling $100! Whaaaaattttt?!?!?! I'm so happy because there are a few things that I wanted to pick up for gifts and I will be able to grab a little something for myself that I have been wanting.  😃 I'm going to wait until the sale. Yippeeee

Whatt! How great was that.

so i'm in a youtube wormhole and i stumbled across this lisa eldridge video from 2010 (!!!!) about highlighter. i find it so refreshing. i know people enjoy the more obvious highlighter look these days, and that's fantastic. but for those of us who still yearn for highlighter to look like part of our skin, this flashback serves as a perfect yessss that's what i'm talkin aboutttttt moment.....

Thanks for posting this! I kept thinking I hadn't found the perfect highlighter yet because either they barely show up on my skin or are too frosty, but now I know the ones that barely show up are the perfect highlighters for me (NARS Hot Sand in my case). I'm also not into the disco ball look, so the info in the video was super helpful. 

@txcatx @k617 i sent this video to my mom (who is confounded by "this highlighter business") and she was like OH I GET IT NOW. all the new highlighters and more recent highlighter advice is all about "Be A Disco Ball, Have No Shame !!!!!" (which is an attitude i can get behind, if not the actual look they're pushing, to be clear) which is very confusing to a woman who approaches her foundation/base from the perspective of making it look as skin-like as possible.

i find most highlighters these days are quite literally formulated to look good in photography (instagram) rather than real life. which really is what a huge chunk of people want.

I'm not a huge fan of the obvious highlighter myself. Whenever I see obvious highlight on someone in person, it looks like a harsh line (Especially in studio lighting), or it accentuates skin texture.  I already have a bit of a natural sheen on my cheeks, so I only aim to make it a little more noticeable under office lighting. Don't want to look like a disco ball!

Has anyone tried the Julep It's Whipped Matte Liquid Lipsticks? Thoughts?

I have 2 of them and they're nice. The texture is definately a whipped matte...but the applicator is weird. It's like a hard, hourglass shaped wand with a ball-shaped tip. Sometimes it's tricky getting an even application. But they are very comfortable to wear, dry down matte, and don't transfer too badly. The purple one I have is so pigmented and vibrant that I'm a little scared of it lol. And I love purple! They're not revolutionary but I don't regret picking up 2. 

so does anyone here ever use tinted moisturizer as...a primer ? 

it feels overkill, to me, but i did it more or less by accident and i quite liked the results ! last night i put on a tinted moisturizer when i realized i wanted a fuller coverage so i put a foundation on on top of it. it blended so well and i thought looked particularly radiant. i dunno. tried it again this morning, though this time more intentionally, and was pleased. curious if others here ever do that ??!!

I want to try this. I don't know if I will break out because when I try new things I do- especially with my base. I normally stick to my Maybelline foundation but now I want to use my LM from the Chic It Easy SF kit as a base since it's not the right shade for me.

@jesscheems,

Which Maybelline foundation are you using? I like alot of their products, and have been curious about their foundations. 😊

The Fit Me foundation in the regular dewy formula. My one and only! So many backups and the only foundation I use! I have a Tarte hybrid gel one and it broke me out 😞 but I liked it! Tried it twice and broke out both times...so maybelline fit me forever....4 lyfe lol

@jesscheems 

Thank you, I will pick one up to try. My skin is cranky right now. 😞 It seems like I am going through another hormonal change or something. It means I frequently have to send my current foundation packing! 😄

@angel7594 no probs! 🙂 oh no I hope your skin gets better. The only cleanser/lotion my skin stays okay with lately is Cetaphil but I was breaking out all year on one cheek 😕 never know about hormones and all ..I hope the Fit Me works for you!

Has anyone else used the Smashbox Studio Skin 15 Hour Wear Hydrating foundation?  I HIGHLY recommend it.

I definitely didn't need anymore foundations but I'm always on the hunt for something perfect.  I usually wear a bb cream or my ultimate favorite MUFE face and body. But I do like to have something more full coverage and I've tried so many that are good but not perfect. It might be too early to tell but I think this Smashbox one might be perfect!  So smooth and it has a really nice finish. Keeps my oily skin almost completely matte all day. What does peak through is actually kind of flattering because it's so slight and looks a little glowy haha I don't mind it at all because this foundation doesn't suffocate my skin. It really looks like skin and it's not cakey at all. I am so happy!!

Not sure where to post this,. but it's kinda random. ULTA has a new contest allied with their pink/breast cancer giving program called A Gorgeous Way to Give. Link in spoiler

Spoiler
testing