Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

welcome back to the junk drawer of random beauty thoughts and musings. it has been nearly a year, so i think it is time for a rew RT thread ! 

when i'm doing my makeup in the morning, my dog sometimes throws a fit until i move his food bowl over to where i'm sitting. i'm certainly not the diva in our relationship.

THE QUESTIONS THREAD:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/The-Question-Thread-Because-not-all-questions-need-their-ow...

VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD ! :  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/m-p/1826210#M69382

SWATCH REQUEST THREADhttp://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

So Urban Decay tweeted out these swatches and a host of followers clapped back saying how this was poor marketing, UD was being insensitive, etc. I'm like what are they talking about??? Apparently people think this post is particularly offensive to those who struggle with self-harming. This is beyond ridiculous.

Capture.PNG

I have to disagree with all of you. I think it's insensitive too, especially putting the name "Razor Sharp" right above the picture instead of "our new eyeliners" or something. Plus, they're particularly high up on the wrist. If they had done waves or gone diagonally and higher on the arm it would have been fine.

@rydia I agree with you 🙂 Everyone is saying it's silly to associate the picture with self-harm, but that was the first thing I thought of when I saw it. Maybe that's because I have past experience with self-harm and people who don't wouldn't be bothered in the same way, but I think that the fact that the ad reminded me of self-harm at all is a problem. It's not really a subject I want to be reminded of when I look at makeup ads!

I don't know whether the picture was intended to have that connotation or not, but given UD's propensity for "edgy" marketing it seems possible that it was.

And yes, most swatches are commonly done on the wrist. However, that picture does not seem like it was solely intended to give people an idea of the colors. It is zoomed out so far from the swatches that I can't make out the colors well anyway.It just seems obvious to me that if you a make a product called "Razor Sharp"and  swatch it on the arm exactly where self-harmers usually cut in the exact same shape as cuts, you should know that it will come off badly to some people, and you should try swatch them in a different way to avoid that. 

UD really didn't think it through when they named their new eyeliners Razor Sharp, then. Maybe they should change the name of their product because an insensitive person decided to swatch products on the wrist.

I'll agree to disagree.

I'm sorry, but MOST swatches of anything I see are on the wrist like that. I swatch most of my lipsticks on the wrist. If I swatch and call a  lipstick "blood red lipstick", am I being insensitive, too? 

Razor Sharp is a fine name for a product not meant for your inner wrist. It was UD's marketing team who decided how to do the swatches, not a random person. Diagonal swatches or some other type of swatch would be to show sensitivity for this one product. 

People really have too much time on their hands... just like those who get their panties into a bunch over acronyms... while I can understand what they mean... like come on! It clearly wasn't their intent... seriously.

Wow that never even crossed my mind when I saw those beautiful swatches! Almost every single swatch is done on a wrist or hand, it's not like they did something out of the ordinary. Where else would you swatch something, the hairy side of your arm??

Lmao. 

I saw people complaining about this and had no idea what the issue was, either! Yeah... too effing ridiculous. There is nothing offensive about this.

Next time, swatch them on your forehead? Good gravy, people.

I think there are people in the world who actively look for things to be offended about. Ugh.

This!

True, I used to cut when I was a teenager, and last year I slipped and did it again.. but that image, I've seen it and it did not trigger anything, I just noticed how fine the line was and how beautiful the swatches are. If anything, it triggers cocaine users because of all the neat little lines. See what I did there? Now over sensitive people will get offended and think those swatches represent cocaine. @KatieKabam @lyravega @JenniferOhJenny

You are truly wonderful, @Blackwhiskey ! I admire your strength and high spirits in spite of all "bumps in the road" you encounter!

@lyravega lol so punny.

As for the rest of you I am not dumbing down suicide and trying to put a bandaid and ignore the situation, but if you're struggling or know someone who is, don't be afraid to reach out, seek help, it's what's helping me, and if it weren't for that, I'd be way off worse. 

@Blackwhiskey Perhaps it didn't trigger you, but it could easily trigger someone else. Besides, cutting and slashing your wrists for suicide are different. And cocaine users don't snort off of their inner wrist. 

I know full well about this. As i have attempted suicide  and have a cocaine history.

All i can do is look forward and not let little things affect me. Urban decay is a makeup company with edgy names, and i am pretty sure it wasnt their intention to make those lines seem anything other than makeup swatches. If i were to look at everything in a negative way id go insane and never be able to surpass a dark time in my life. @rydia

@Blackwhiskey I've had incredibly hard times too. You're lucky that reaching out got you the help you needed, and I'm very glad it did. When I reached out I was told to "go die" (by my aunt who I lived with), told by a friend that she couldn't take me seriously and that I was awful for bringing up suicide since her cousin had recently done it (like it was about her), and had another friend pretend to care but then write "unnecessary drama" on Twitter. When I told my brother that I thought my friends didn't care because some checked on me that day but didn't follow up, he laughed in my face and said they probably don't. This is just scratching the surface. I agree with you that we shouldn't let these awful experiences run our lives by cringing at everything that could possibly be related to them. But I don't like anything making light of it, either. 

Well said, @Blackwhiskey !

I sometimes feel that when people complain about others being "too sensitive" or "easily offended" that it often involves things that are truly offensive to minorities, etc., so I do try to keep a very open, respectful mind when it comes to issues I may not personally be connected with.

I haven't ever self-harmed, so I began to wonder if my perspective was blinding me from the obvious.

I am glad you've spoken up on this!

Whattttt? From that screenshot, "self-harming" would have never crossed my mind. Would it have been better if the swatches were on the TOP of her arm??

3 Replies
testing