Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

welcome back to the junk drawer of random beauty thoughts and musings. it has been nearly a year, so i think it is time for a rew RT thread ! 

when i'm doing my makeup in the morning, my dog sometimes throws a fit until i move his food bowl over to where i'm sitting. i'm certainly not the diva in our relationship.

THE QUESTIONS THREAD:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/The-Question-Thread-Because-not-all-questions-need-their-ow...

VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD ! :  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/m-p/1826210#M69382

SWATCH REQUEST THREADhttp://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

@jadeann I'm going to leave a link to an article which articulately explains why people become frustrated when all lives matter is used as a response to the black lives matter movement. I'm not going to debate you on this topic (or try to change your mind) since this is your opinion and a beauty forum is not the place discuss politics but I urge you to read the five paragraphs quoted in there. I hope you (and those reading this) have a wonderful weekend. ❤️

I went to check now and only see a statement supporting Black Life Matters and a link to a Washington Post article. Was there something else? I wonder what i missed 😮

My apologies, I should have been more clear - the original post is not what I took offense to. There was a comment by another user, which has since been deleted by Herbivore, that simply stated that ALL lives matter and expressed her disappointment that there was no support for law enforcement mentioned. Herbivore replied to her opinion and stated that "all lives matter" is incorrect. 

I fully understand that supporting BLM and supporting law enforcement are not mutually exclusive ideas. My issue is that every comment showing support for law enforcement - including my own - was deleted, while others who are supportive of Herbivore's views are allowed to remain.

@jadeann I agree that all lives matter.  If a company deletes comments saying that all lives include police lives then that position (of the company) isn't one I personally want to support.  Especially not this week.

People can read what they like into any comment here or elsewhere.  Those who decide to split tiny hairs and imply that defending one life comes at the expense of another (or group of others) aren't being fair.  If someone finds offense in a comment "all lives matter" then the problem is them (seriously).  If someone finds it offensive when someone says "police lives matter" then the problem is also with them.  The sanctity of human life is a basic in a civilized society.  Seeing people so easily toss that concept aside makes me sad.  

All lives matter.  I appreciate your post and the sacrifices your family makes.

@meganlisa... tears. Thank you for the kind words, because they have been very few this week.

@jadeann And isn't that a sad state of affairs.

triestobeclassy, you did not miss anything.

the herbivore post was linking to a Washington Post article about Black Lives Matter, and how white people (specifically) can support the cause. this was not a post encouraging anti law enforcement sentiment. to support the cause of the oppressed and to support law enforcement are not mutually exclusive concepts.

@jemly, my apologies, as I should have been more clear - 

the original post is not what I took offense to. There was a comment by another user, which has since been deleted by Herbivore, that simply stated that ALL lives matter and expressed her disappointment that there was no support for law enforcement mentioned. Herbivore replied to her opinion and stated that "all lives matter" is incorrect. 

I fully understand that supporting BLM and supporting law enforcement are not mutually exclusive ideas.

In fact, all comments that support law enforcement are STILL being deleted. 

Thank you @jemly for this post.

It's unfortunate that people so readily equate Black Lives Matter to Anti-Law Enforcement.  

That's just as insulting, if not more so, than those who insist on interpreting that Black Lives Matter means that the lives of other racial/ethnic groups do not matter.

But I digress.

I fully agree. I was wondering if there was anything that has been deleted already.

Sadly a lot of companies have less than wonderful founder, but companies themselves change, even if they can't change who started them. I wouldn't feel guilty about buying products you like unless the company currently has practices or beliefs you are morally opposed to. 

Unfortunately I cannot recommend a similar lipgloss to the Chanel as I've never tried them personally.

But I do have brands that I will not purchase from.  Specifically brands that refuse to consider WOC in their marketing/products.  I also have products that I purchased only to find out later that I don't agree with perspectives from owners or primary shareholders so I add them to my list.  I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of, it's just another form of self expression and withholding your dollar is one of the most powerful statements (in my opinion).

That being said, I also don't think you have to agree with everything a person or company says/does to purchase from them.  It all depends on what you are comfortable with really.

Ulta now carries ELF!

It's still online only for now, but Target has a lot more in my local store.

I still like ordering from the direct site because I can get better deals most of the time. Just wanted to put it out there in case someone wanted to know:)

They do post awesome deals. Just wanted to mention the in-person thing in case anyone wanted to see before they buy. I actually saw a set in the clearance section last time I was there. Did not buy it though. 

My store barely had any elf even six months ago, and now it has a nice little section. They're definitely expanding!

My Target has been adding to the ELF section recently, and I have noticed more brushes and skin care. I also saw that the brand Essence was now in store, and they have some great items, as well! 😊

Was having a little bit of an (unresolved) internal debate with myself the other evening and I'd be interested to see other's thoughts on the subject. I've bought a few Bite lipstick colors over the past few months that do not flatter me at all. They look great on the other ladies of BT - which is why I bought them - but I can't get them to work on me. Looking at you, Thistle. But I find myself liking the packaging and they way they look lined up together in my acrylic organizer and I tell myself that maybe I'll find the right look where I'd want to reach for that color, or I could blend it with something else. I have a LOT of lipstick already, so this probably isn't true.

I'm just wondering where the line is drawn between collecting, appreciating and hoarding. I do clean outs every...few years. And I will pitch something when a formula turns and it smells. But, honestly, even if I don't reach for something and a clean out is not on the horizon I keep it because I like having an impressive collection. I wonder if that's healthy? Or am I getting into makeup hoarding? 

I buy selectively and only colors and formulas I feel will work for me. I just have a hard time letting go. I really, really love lipstick. (But, weirdly, I could not care less about lip liner.) 😄

Definitely try blending it with other colors. I love blending colors. Not that that helped answer your question or anything.

I'd say return the ones you can, that or give them to friends. Bite lipstick is addicting, so you'll probably end up with more to decorate with soon enough! XD

I agree with @mommyto4& @mw23 in that I used to find it difficult to let things go even though I wouldn't use them. But nowadays, I try and only keep things that I would def use, else return them rightaway. I don't enjoy the feeling of possessing too many products that I would actually never use - it's kind of overwhelming for me. And I have a thing for lip colors as well, so the struggle is truly real. 🙂

The one area that I need to work on is that I sometimes end up making a drugstore makeup  purchase just because I feel like buying new stuff and can't justify an expensive version. Sometimes, that has ended up in products I don't actually love/use but just buy for the heck of it - but I return them. I do want to stop doing this though. 

testing